Cleaning Canvas

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by jyoung, Sep 8, 2014.

1. jyoung

jyoung New Member

We just purchased a 98 StarCraft meterorite...used and could use a little TLC. It appears it was put away wet years ago and there are stains on the canvas. The current owner used the camper quite a bit this summer and she indicated that she cleaned up the stains on one side of the camper which looks great but didn't put the time in to clean the other half. These appear to be only stains and not growing spreading mildew or mold. There is no mildew smell and everything in and out is dry and clean. I would just like to clean the canvas but not damage or put more stains on it. Iosso was posted as being good, but others indicate using bleach...Any suggestions? It is a great little camper for the 3 of us but I like things to look neat and tidy...thanks. joan :)

2. zinger60

zinger60 New Member

Can you ask her what she used to clean the one side? Our camper had a lot of mold inside one of the bunkends next to the shower. We tried several things and nothing worked. We finally resorted to using bleach mixed with a small amount of water in a spray bottle and then rinsed it well with plain water. Within minutes, it was white as snow. I still don't know if this is the proper thing to use since I have read a post that bleach will damage the fabric but we have had it for 6 years now and no problems at all. I would not suggest using it on the outside though. It might damage the waterproofing. We have dark yellow stains on the outside of the bunkends which I think are from leaves that sat wet on it while camping. We will have to just live with those because nothing we tried has worked and I'm not going to risk using bleach there.

3. Michigangrandma

Michigangrandma New Member

Logged in to search for information as I am cleaning our PUP today. We have some "scattered" mildew on the canvas, but no smell of it. A friend also suggested a mild bleach solution. When I replied that I heard that could damage the canvas, he said, "so can mildew".

Researching online I found the suggestion to brush the areas vigorously to removed the spores from the canvas, and then vacuum thoroughly to remove the spores. Then they say to use a solution of water and white vinegar to kill the mildew, rinse well, and let completely dry. That is what I am going to try to do this time. I am also going to use a mild solution of Simple Green to clean the vinyl on the tops of the bed ends.

I am also looking for suggestions for anything that can be put on the bed slides to reduce friction. Silicone spray? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Now I pray I can get it cleaned, completely dry, and cranked down before the next rain or dew. We have such heavy dew this time of year that it is tricky to get everything dry. Today and tomorrow look promising here in central Michigan.

4. jyoung

jyoung New Member

I have heard that bleach is not good, but is seems others have had success with it. ? Worried about making things worse, but maybe a dilute solution is the way to go...

5. Michigangrandma

I used the slightly diluted vinegar. Can't say as I see any disappearing of the stains so far.

6. icepounder

icepounder New Member

I was in the same boat .. still am. I cleaned the exterior using hot/warm water and OxiClean Versatile Stain Remover .. it comes in a tub. I don't remember how many scoops but it states it in the directions. All I did was set the camper up and used a bucket, a hose, a car wash mop and a ladder. I still have to get to the interior.

Here's a picture showing the right side done 1 time and the left side untouched. I hope this helps. :)

[​IMG]

I should add on my Rockwood it's a vinyl material.

7. Michigangrandma

My Forest River is also vinyl. That came pretty clean with the Simple Green mixture.

I sprayed the vinegar on the spots of mildew on the canvas, and then used the garden hose on the camper. I wiped it down well with and old towel, and now I have the camper completely open and a fan running on high inside. But there is one area on the front corner of the one bed that still looks bad to me. I may end up having to try diluted bleach on that.

8. dcbain

dcbain New Member

I had a go at the vinyl on our 2005 Flagstaff yesterday. I used commercial kitchen degreaser / hard surface cleaner diluted as per the label and applied with a nail brush. I rinsed off and wiped dry with an old tshirt. It was late in the day so I didn't do a lot but it certainly made a noticeable difference and I'll be doing it all again when I can be sure it's not going to rain.

Te memsahib and I used to have a car valeting business and used the cleaner for the first time on a customer's caravan. We used it neat; this proved to be a bad idea as it turned the white nearly-new 'van yellow. We breathed again after a properly-diluted reapplication and rinse removed the yellow stain!

9. icepounder

icepounder New Member

I just went by what the owners manual had recommended.
    On page 16 under the Periodic Maintenance Chart the second item down is Tent Material. It says "Remove stains from vinyl with Oxy-Clean".
    All I can say is it's working good for me so far. I still have to try it on the inside. :)