Cleaning foam mattresses in old PUP

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by gonefishingdude, Sep 1, 2016.

1. gonefishingdude

gonefishingdude Member

The double size bed mattresses are mostly clean. It's the 2 seating cushions that got mostly hit. The 1994 Flagstaff roof had leaks (which I am rebuilding now) and one canvas window tear probably let some rain in.

I don't know if the grey stains you see in the photo are mold or just dirt? The roof had some mold due to the leaks.

You can see the cleaner bed mattress behind the stained seat cushion matttress below.

What options to clean do I have?

[​IMG]

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

If you read through some of the older threads, you'll see that some people have washed mattresses in the tub or kiddie pools. Rinsing and getting them dry can be a bit of a challenge.
    With our first pup, we chose to replace the foam, since it had begun to break down. The problem is that cheap foam is usually just that, and doesn't have the support (resiliency, density) needed, especially for the seat cushions. (There are threads on replacement foam too.)
    Good luck on whatever you choose to do.

3. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

I have always taken the covers off, leaned them against a wall, and taken the garden hose to them. I leave them leaning to drain and to dry. It's amazing how much soap they hold from previous cleanings.

4. gonefishingdude

gonefishingdude Member

thanks guys.

Do you know if the grey you can see on the seating mattress is mold? Or can it just be dirty because of water that came through the window?