Cleaning my pup windows

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by robthib, Aug 7, 2011.

1. robthib

robthib New Member

Hi All,

Does anyone have the perfect cleaner for pup windows? I have a 2002 coleman bayside. [PU]

Thank You All

2. bruceac1

bruceac1 Member

Are your windows plastic or glass? Mine are glass and I use regular Windex.

3. airmech2210

airmech2210 Member

I would suggest a non-ammonia cleaner like Invisible Glass. I know that ammonia is bad for Aftermarket Tinted windows in cars, and I would bet the same would be true for the vinyl windows in our PUPS.

4. bettyboopercindi

bettyboopercindi Bill And Cindi

We have a 2000 Coleman Cheyenne with the crystal clear plastic windows. We just got it a couple weeks ago and we were wondering the same thing. After asking on here it seems no one knew what we should use. So we took a chance and used a small amount of Dawn dishdetergent. When I say small, we used about 2 tablespoons to a five gallon bucket. We washed the windows with a soft rag such as a baby wash cloth. Then we rinsed the same way with a 5 gallon bucket of clear water and then dried with paper towels. They were full of smoke and mildew and cooking residue. Well they came out CRYSTAL CLEAR and BEAUTIFUL. We took a chance with what we used but no one here had an idea so we just chanced it. BEAUTIFUL RESULTS !!! Hope this helps. HAPPY CAMPING TO YOU AND YOURS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. turborich

turborich Active Member

I've always used Windex or equivlent and never had any issues. Tinted plastic windows on a pop up are nothing like window tint film. I really think it's an old wives's tale any ways because I never had any problems with ammonia based window cleaners on tinted car windows.

6. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

The plastic windows in a pup are made of the same vinyl (actually it's clear PVC) as the rear window in an automotive convertible top, or all of the windows in a Jeep soft top. The problem with the vinyl is that it absorbs a small amount of whatever you clean/treat it with. UV rays from the sun are the major culprit in turning vinyl windows yellow, but using ammonia, alcohol, detergents, and acids like vinegar to clean a window or anything containing silicone to polish or protect a window will speed up the yellowing process. It's not that dramatic or quick of a process in a pup because a pup spends most of its life closed up and therefore not exposed to the UV rays from the sun. What that means is that it's really less of an issue in a pup window than it is on a vinyl car/boat window. Using a window cleaner like Windex or a detergent like Dawn every so often to get rid of greasy films or tough dirt probably won't harm the vinyl - IF it's only used once in a while.

However, even having said all of that, the best thing to use on any vinyl window on a regular basis is a cleaner made for vinyl windows and a microfiber cloth. There are several brands of non-detergent convertible top, soft top, or boat top cleaners on the market that you mix with water and use just like a car wash soap. These cleaners are made to be used on vinyl windows. One benefit of these cleaners is usually the entire pup canvas can be washed with the same cleaner. If you have a favorite car wash soap, look at the label and see if it's safe for use on convertible tops and plastic (vinyl) windows. If so, you can use that.

I use a soap made by Blue Coral. I mixed up a bucket of soap and water to wash the canvas, but filled a spray bottle out of the bucket before I washed the canvas. I use that spray bottle of solution to clean the inside of the windows. Spray a bit of the solution onto the window, wipe it with a microfiber cloth (I found that wiping from side to side then top to bottom prevents swirl marks from using a circular motion.) I then rinse the window with another wet (just plain water) microfiber cloth, then towel dry with another microfiber cloth.

There are spray on cleaners for vinyl windows available at just about any auto parts or marine supply stores. I don't have a lot of experience with those cleaners (mainly because I'm cheap and try to avoid specialty cleaners/protectants if I can) so I can't really comment on how well they work. There are also vinyl window/plastic polishes available to remove haze, oxidation, and some minor scratches, but I've not used them either. A lot of folks swear by Maguire's or Mother's plastic polish, but I've seen YouTube videos of folks using everything from MX-7 metal polish to Flitz polish. Again, I've never done this myself, so I really can't offer any advice or tips.

Here's a neat video, however, of a window restoration on a Jeep soft top using MX-7 and Glare Spider with a Dewalt variable speed buffer:

Jeep Plastic Window Restoral, Convertible Top Plastic Window Restore, Detailing Tricks

That same method could be safely used on a pup window with the same results - it's the same plastic, after all. No matter what you use on your windows, good luck!

7. robthib

robthib New Member

Thank you all for the great info! I'll try to do a before and after photo this weekend when I clean them.

8. grim509

grim509 Member

I used one of those magic erasures to clean mine. Worked great!

9. StarCamper

StarCamper Member

I read on one of the posts to use Plexus Plastic Cleaner. Haven't tried it yet myself but our pup sure could use a good cleaning real soon.