Clear plastic window repair

copperbear

Sep 26, 2011
I noticed today, that one of the windows' clear plastic has a hole in it about the diameter of a dime in it . Not sure how it got there.but any ideas of repair? Other than tape? As always..thks.

Jayko

Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha
Jul 10, 2012
Remove it and take it up to a boat canvas shop. They can create a new one, same size.

It might be pricy but it will look and perform better than a piece of tape.

4campers+g-kids

Jan 10, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Can't comment on how to fix that, but my thought is HOW did it get there? One thought is a light left on, or still hot, when you folded down. Check out the hole to see if you can determine the cause.

pckeen

Super Active Member
Oct 28, 2013
Same thought here - likely a light was left on, and the shut off switch didn't work for some reason.

We fixed a similar hole with two small circular pieces of stick on vinyl on either side. It was effective, but was an obvious repair.

russjbeck

Jun 2, 2014
I can't say because I use clear packing tape. I put a piece on both sides. It works great and sticks well. It is also not very noticeable.
The light on sounds like a good conclusion. I would say the slides could be to blame too. Pulling or pushing out the slides while the top is too low, or even a jagged edge on the slide where the window could catch when in stored condition. I have a few holes in my windows and can only theorize these are the reasons the holes are there. My windows are getting crunchy and very yellow though.

mcgyver

Mar 6, 2015
I'm not sure if it would work, and if it has been mentioned before and shot down, forgive me...I don't know what type of vinyl they use for the windows, but would a waterbed patch kit work? If it will make a waterproof patch on a waterbed bladder, could it work on the window vinyl? :smile_question1:

Like I said, not sure what type of stuff they use for the clear windows, but it may work. Also, if the material in the patch kit is not see-through, you might try using material from a clear vinyl shower curtain or purchase a small piece of clear vinyl from a craft and fabric store like Joann's or Hobby Lobby and the glue from the kit. Try it on a piece of scrap to make sure it won't cause more damage...it's worth a shot.