Clear vinyl window damage. User error?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Jhunt012, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Jhunt012

Jhunt012 Member

I have a small tear/crack in one of my clear vinyl windows. It is basically where the window was creased when the camper was closed up. I have the clear windows zipped up when I close up the camper. Is this the proper way to do it? When I open it up there are several creases in the clear vinyl and I'm worried it will all lead to cracking. Anybody else experienced this? Any ideas for an effective patch? Thanks for your time!

2. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

We close up with the window zipped closed with no problem. Maybe someone was using windex to clean the window that will make them brittle.

3. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

We had a about a quarter-sized hole in one of our windows. Went to the dollar store, bought clear contact paper and patched on each side. Held for several years and was still fine when we sold the camper. Though not sure why yours would have cracked/torn to begin with . . . . We always closed our pop-ups with the windows zipped shut.

4. moon

moon New Member

5. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

6. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

7. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Cracked plastic windows are sometimes caused by closing/setup during extreme cold weather. When in extreme cold weather running a heater (you wont be able to run your furnace while the camper is folded) for 10 or 15 min will get the plastic soft. When closing the camper do the same. I worked in my camper this week and still with 40's weather the vinyl canvas was hard to the touch. I used my heater to get it soft again when I closed it this evening.