Clipper 108ST

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by scubacamper, Mar 31, 2017.

1. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Okay, we've only been looking for a little while for a NTU or New PUP but we're actually going to seriously consider a NEW 2017 Coachman Clipper 108ST...list is $13,662 at General RV. Anyone have any thoughts on this model, I know at least one of you has the 2012 version which is pretty identical but any other thoughts.

I have a few reservations with it...
    1. The cables for the bunks and thought they hold 1k lbs, I'm wondering about wear and tear?
    2. There is empty space next to the electrical box under the seating but I have to remove a screw so is that "wasted" space?
    3. Reliability of the lift system? Has anyone had any issues?
    4. Can I use my drill (3/8") on the supports or is the torque too much for them and do I need my 1/2" drill?

On the up side...
    1. The DW and DD's could easily take this by themselves for a "Girls Weekend" as it goes up so easy with a portable drill.
    2. Front storage is awesome.
    3. The Lounge "Goucho" bench seat opens into a bed so the DD's could actually take a friend.

I've discussed the "Solar" situation in an earlier post so that's helpful and something she likes but if you have any thoughts please let me know. We'd still like to to look at a New Jayco but since they were bought out by THOR I'm leary of the quality going down.
    Thanks in advance.

JPBar likes this.
  2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you getting your new PUP.
    1) Not sure on the bed cable system, but I am sure it will be fine.
    2) you could always put hinge to have access to space.
    3) I assume it has the Goshen system, if so I have had no issues to date. Just do required maintanance each year and you will be fine.
    4)3/8 drill should be fine for stabilizer jacks, that is what I use.

I removed my gaucho, but that reason was we never used it and the storage was useless, no outside access like the one you are looking at. When the gaucho is in the bed position the isle way is about 6 inches wide, so who ever is in the back bunk will need to be an acrobat if they need to get out, another reason it was removed.

There is only 3 of us that use the camper, so the mods I have done suit us. Good luck on your purchase you deserve it. Have fun!!

scubacamper likes this.
  3. scubacamper

Thanks, but it's not a done deal, though it might be if the DW likes it. She's already said she'll stroke a check rather than financing it if she likes it and I think she will. When she sees that she and the girls can take it on their own w/o me and do everything with ease she'll most likely be sold on it. I do agree with you on the Gaucho about use and lack of space if someone is sleeping there. It would be useful if the DD's bring a friend as they'll have more room to sleep and getting past it by them wouldn't be an issue. The idea of the hinge is a good one though I think if I just pull the screw it would be fine...I wonder if it gets warm down there since the converter is in half of the space? That's something I'll have to ask and they won't know but I'll let them check.

Two of the best things about this situation is that the Dealer is both Close and they actually seem and do have a reputation for being good at Customer Service.

4. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

It will all work out, I have no doubt.

scubacamper likes this.
  5. scubacamper

UPDATE...Okay the DW and DD's looked it over but the DW doesn't like the brown on brown on blackish interior and found some of the finishes a little substandard. She didn't rule it out and she did have the ckbk with her just in case she actually liked it but she wants to keep looking. She liked that she use my drill to raise it up and the cables compared to the supports for the beds were really a great idea but overall she wasn't terribly impressed. Oh well, maybe we'll be back.

JPBar likes this.
  6. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Be patient it will happen.

7. scubacamper

No doubt and we're headed to Dick Gore's this afternoon to look at a Forest River.

8. DanMKE

DanMKE New Member

Looking at a used 2017 108st, the layouts on-line show two queen size bunks...the picture of the outside on fb marketplace make the bunks look like different sizes...optical illusion? Anyone have one...I really need a bigger bed (preferably the "king" size). upload_2021-9-24_12-3-32.png

9. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

If you were to sleep crossways would that be long enough for you? I know if we sleep longways on our queen bunk my feet hang over the end. Think it's 80 by 66". our king end is 80 by 70" i think.

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Depending on the inside, some build platforms and sleep head to the outside, feet inside. I just hang my feet off. And i only had king beds.

11. DanMKE

DanMKE New Member

I'm 6'6" and I would definitely sleep with my feet hanging off (head towards the end)...but 66" wide a would be too short. but, still confused by the pictures and the layouts don't seem jive.

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. Ugh! I get where she is coming from. That year I found was the worst in color or rather lack of it. It was like all manufacturers decided to take the tan/brown/black trend No clue if they ever improved it with today's campers. Grant you my current 04 camper isn't much better with the interior, but I get to decorate it to how I see fit and not the awful colors the manufacturer chose. My little side kick called it puke colors. Thanks kiddo I now can't get it out of my head. Sadly even in the fabric store tan seems to be the "in" thing. What happened to the colors.

Good luck and hope your family finds something that would work.

13. Dave Fro

Dave Fro New Member

I have a 2017 Viking 2108ST, i believe it is exactly the same as what you are looking at. I bought it new from dealer last year, so it has sat outside for a few years.
    1) Cables seem fine so far. Need to make sure roof is all the way up, and bed is out till it clicks, otherwise you are putting torque on the bed rails. They are a pain if you plan to lie the window canvas flat on the bed to waterproof, i ended propping up the bed corner outside and took the cable off for this job. The main room cables get in the way for opening/closing the clear windows, it isn't terrible but is annoying. I imagine they will last, they are aircraft grade and feel beefy. I would check to make sure the nuts are tight every once in a while.
    2) That area is basically full of electrical cable and water pump etc. It is not wasted storage space as there is no space in there to store stuff.
    3) Lift system seems fine, i think something sticks once in a while and drops eventually as i am lowering it. I sprayed the lift posts and i don't think it has done it again. You are supposed to grease the cable housing under the trailer once in a while. I haven't done that yet, and have heard you can use an entire grease tube if it has been a while.
    4) I switched to my half inch, was just easier and didn't get stuck once in a while, but sprayed the stabilizer arms and been ok since. For the roof life lift i needed a 20v cordless, 14v didn't cut it.

Front storage box... handy... but a water nightmare. You can find a thread I weighed in on about it. Mine has been leaking for 4 years (before i owned it) from the front marker lights (mfg. should have caulked them), the floor is soft on the topside. You can push on it from inside the box close to the front edge, I'll bet yours will be squishy too. On the outside the front corners of the wooden floor (reach underneath) and a bit of the leading edge are squishy. I would hate to think what things look like if i pulled up the linoleum in the storage box, but i know i will have to one day (gross). These boxes are notorious for rotting out, they are very very poorly designed. I really recommend you feel the subfloor everywhere, you will know soft when you feel it.

Otherwise it is a great trailer, we are enjoying it! If you have any questions let me know. I have pretty much been over almost every inch of it by now.

DanMKE likes this.