Closest Beach to Atl?

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by dgarbers, May 22, 2011.

1. dgarbers

dgarbers New Member

I'm toying with the idea of taking my kids to an ocean beach this summer.

Does anyone know the closest beach to the Atlanta Metro area that has camping at the beach or very very close to the beach?

Thank you!

2. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

Maybe Henderson SP, Destin, FL. Tybee Island may be closer, but I'm not sure the camping is "right on the beach." Anyone?

3. eporter81

eporter81 New Member

FORT MCALLISTER STATE HISTORIC PARK is near Savanna GA.

4. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

I'm sorry. The Atlantic coast is much closer to ATL than the Gulf.
    But, Ft McAllister SHP looks to be farther from the beach(Tybee Island) than Skidaway Island SP, and Skidaway is 25 miles away.
    There is a recent thread about dining(while camping) on Tybee Island you can check out.

5. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

As far as SC, "at the beach" camping can be found at Myrtle Beach State Park, Huntington Beach State Park, Edisto Island State Park, and Hunting Island State Park. You will be footsteps to the water. These places fill up fast in-season.

The only ones I know of in GA would be Rivers End in Tybee, and Jekyl Island Campground, both private. I haven't been to Jekyl Island, so someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. I also haven't been to Rivers End, but only because I know of some people that camped there and had bad experiences with lack of cleanliness and rowdiness of guests.
    Georgia does have two state parks that are close to the beach-Crooked River and Skidaway Island.
    happycampersrus recently posted information on Blythe Island Regional Park Campground in Brunswick, GA. I think that, too, would be close to the beach.

Hope this helps.

6. adamteja

adamteja New Member

Hunting Island State Park near Beaufort SC... just north of Hilton Head
    You can camp <100ft to the water (though there aren't too many of these sites) book early.

It's about 5 hour drive if I remember; probably a wash if you go to the gulf or Hunting Island.

Definitely more space / less touristy than the gulf.

7. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

Hi there Debbie...we have camped in the Pensacola FL area and at the end of June we are staying at CG in Port of St Joe FL area. We are camping this coming weekend down at Crooked River SP in St Marys GA. Fernadina Beach FL is just about 20 minutes from the CG. We have not stayed near Savannah or the Tybee Island area.

Let us know what you find out and where you choose to go...

Hope the family is well...

8. carythepianoman

carythepianoman Member

I have camped at Edisto Island (SC) and Hunting Island (SC), and both are GREAT!

The Florida panhandle is a little further, but there are a lot of campgrounds down there. St. Andrews State Park in Panama City is great. It's really a good park, and it is nice and secluded from the 'Panama City rif raf". Navarre Beach campground is a nice one too.

And if you can get a site (good luck) "Camping On The Gulf" in Destin, FL is about as close as you can get to the beach / water. We love that one! The awesome thing about this campground, if you're not familiar with it, is that you can camp on the beach ...... not near the beach ...... not next to the beach ........ but ON THE BEACH. It's a cool experience.

Here's a couple of pics. The second one shows just how close you can actually camp to the water:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. armyguy

armyguy US [USA]

ST Andrews ST Park in Panama City, or Destin FL, maybe Mobile AL?