clothes storage help

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by verymerry, Aug 13, 2015.

1. verymerry

verymerry New Member

Do you or any of you have any ideas for storage of clothes?? We are a family of 5 and each one of us uses a 31 large utility tote for our clothes. These work great because I can pack in house and they travel great. BUT, mine and my hubby's 31 bags end up on the couch and the kids all sit on a shelf across from the sink. Disaster! We have a cabinet that slides into place and sits on the heater area and is useless and so I thought about getting some sort of shelves that each 31 bag could sit on. Any other ideas out there for the storage of clothes, pjs, etc. for a family of 5? We have a 98 coleman bayside elite.

2. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

3. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

I also have a family of 5. We only have one small counter space available to us and I use it to stack 2 sets of 3-drawer sterlite drawers. So 6 drawers total. We each have our own and one extra. Not sure what a 31 tote is (at first I thought it was 31 totes each! [LOL] but you could empty the tote into the drawers maybe.

4. cuisinartoh

cuisinartoh Member

You might consider building a bunk end shelf or two. I'm planning to do just that in the near future. In fact, I came to this subforum tonight to search the archives for specific ideas :)

5. leahdan

leahdan New Member

We use large sterilite drawers and they work great for dh and I. Our kids are little so they get small duffels that serve dual purpose and go between the kids to stop them from kicking each other in their sleep ;) the drawers are awesome and we just bring the in the house to repack. I find they keep things much better organized and the pup less cluttered.

6. generok

generok Well-Known Member

X2 ^ on the shelves. Each person gets one drawer. We keep it on the little shelf by the door. Works for us.

7. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

We leave the suit cases in the tow vehicle. Why crowd the camper,?

8. ScottE

ScottE New Member

We are blessed with a HW Niagara. We removed the range, two drawers there, two individual drawers under the dinette in bed mode (we don't use it as a table. We then have two drawers on the counter by the front bunk. For a family of five, it is great. Add the shelf mod and bunk shelves, it is pretty organized.

9. BTB

BTB New Member

We use suitcases/ duffle bags. They are in the PUP or TV depending on the situation. I have used the plastic drawer systems before when camping, but I had them in the back of the truck ( has fiberglass shell).

We have found that making a " clothes roll" for each day helps. Lay out pants/ shorts, then set shirt, socks, underwear on and roll it up. That way you can reach in a bag/ drawer and just pull out a roll.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

10. Kettlebelle

Kettlebelle Member

We also have a family of 5 and use two, three-drawer Sterilite units. They fit on the floor when the PUP is closed, one behind the slid-in dinette and one in front of the folded-down galley. This system has worked very well for us after a little tweaking: Each person gets one drawer for clothes and personal items and everything must fit in there- no random stuff out! We pack one Fleece and one Rain Jacket per person, but they stay in separate packing cubes and we store them in the car, because we may not use them and they go with us wherever we go. The 6th drawer drawer is for towels: bath, swim, hand & dish. We use random cast-off hand and dish towels from home and Sunland Microfiber towels from Amazon to save space. Each person gets two, one for "Bath" and one for "Beach." To keep track of whose is whose, we use colored diaper pins. (We use that system at home, too, and it has decreased my laundry significantly).

11. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

There is only two of us, so we just place ours on the rear bed. But you might be able to put some clothes under the mattress, We used to do that on board ship and it helped to press our Dress Blue Uniforms. I carry my clothes in a handbag tote that can be rolled up and put away.
    I learned while canoeing a person only needs three changes of clothes, one set on the back, one set dry and ready to wear and one set that is drying. So three sets will do this also works for PUP camping, or about any other use.

12. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

You can leave duffle bags on side of bunkhead or in between 2 people during night and during the day bring the bags closer to front end of bunkhead for easy retrieval of clothes from the bags.

13. corb

corb New Member

Family of four and we use 2 of the sterilite 3 drawer totes. Easy to move and very organized.

14. Ram Freezy

Ram Freezy Member

We're a family of 5, and since our kids are older that meant each needed their own space to sleep: first on a bunk end, second on the dinette slide out, third on the fold out couch. Of course DW and I are on the other bunk end. Well, the king size bunk end is too big for just one kid, so we decided to use the extra space for clothes storage.

Two large stackable sterilite drawers per side
    [​IMG]

I made a platform to keep them from sinking into the mattress
    [​IMG]

The tabs on the top fit into the corner moldings on the bottom of the drawer to hold it in place
    [​IMG]

The outside and front edge are fully supported
    [​IMG]

And a bracket and screw in the corner keep if from lifting when weight is applied to the unsupported corner
    [​IMG]

The four drawers make a nice divider for this bedroom, making it the most popular spot
    [​IMG]

The grownups drawers go on top of the cassette, which we never use
    [​IMG]

One drawer for each person plus an extra for towels. For travel two fit perfectly in the dinette
    [​IMG]

One in front of the heater between the stowed slide out and front wall (towels, since this is inaccessible closed up)
    [​IMG]

And the last three in just inside the door
    [​IMG]

Has worked very well for us these past 3 seasons. The drawers come right out and stacked in the guest room at my sister's house when we visited on our trip last month. Getting all the clothes out of the TV makes for a much more comfortable drive with a large family. I realize this won't work for most, but thought I'd share since someone asked for specific examples. Cheers!

JDS615 likes this.
  15. The Postman

The Postman You gotta love Camping!!

That is a very innovative way of doing it!! We just use a 3 drawer Sterilite container because there is only two of us. Cold weather gear goes into a duffle bag that sits wherever we happen to put it.

16. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Someone in a prior thread uses a duffel bag for each of the family, keeps them in the back of their SUV, and before bedtime, everyone chose the next days' clothes and took those inside. The dirties went into another duffle in the SUV.

Kept the pup clearer and the back seat too! [A]

[:D]

17. verymerry

verymerry New Member

Thank you all for your comments. Still weeding through some thoughts on what to do.
    P.S. a 31 bag is basically an open top duffle bag. 31 is the brand. Each person has one, so 5 in total. All 3 of our kids sleep in one king bunk and DH and I sleep in the other bunk We keep the dinette set up and the couch is covered in clothes and bags. Thabks again for your feedback.

18. SLOTerp

SLOTerp Member

We're still working on this. Last time out we kept suitcases at back of van and used a laundry bag from IKEA ($6) for community dirty clothes. We kept the laundry outside of the camper.

Attached Files:

19. largo

largo New Member

Definitely do bunk ends. It drove me crazy constantly having to move bags around in the PUP and then I saw these in the forum.

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=59143.msg503259#msg503259

They're like risers/platforms you put along one side of the pull out bunks. You put the stuff on top of them and put your feet under them when you sleep. And they're relatively simple to make. My son will sit up in the bunk and use the uncovered areas as a desk or play table. Best mod ever for storage.

20. jjg

jjg Member

We pack our clothes into a large sterilite bin. When we get the camper set up we put the clothes in stackable crates. One crate for each of us. Stack it four high. We then put the dirty clothes into the sterilite bin and keep that in the TV or underneath a bunkend.