Clueless campers

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by NMroamer, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

[LOL][LOL]...went in the crapper 1 morning before daylight (state park), popped open the door, somebody during the night had dropped a deuce that was dang nigh sticking up above the rim like a breaching whale, NO toilet paper...didn't hear any screams, assume they crawled off into the woods & expired after that one...wasn't gonna stick around & get blamed...

PaThacker, FARfetched and bobinfleet like this.
  2. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Active Member Platinum Supporting Member

[LOL]

Rik Peery likes this.
  3. Luck7s717

Luck7s717 Member

You can start doing what I do, get a 5 gallon bucket and douse their fire....and their stack of fire wood as well

grandpa mikey and Rik Peery like this.
  4. Stereo56

Stereo56 New Member

I don't let bad behavior go. I try to be as kind and informative in my words as possible but I am ALWAYS accosted. My hope is that, after their defensive tirade, maybe they'll think twice about their behavior. Some people truly don't know better; most though, are knowingly flouting the rules for their own convenience.

Here are a couple of the latest incidences. A guy camping in the backcountry near us started a giant fire with a quart of lighter fluid during a fire ban. I went over and said, "Sorry to ruin your fun, but there is a fire ban. Please put your fire out." He started swearing a blue streak and said, "My son wants a fire." I told him the obvious that due to the extreme drought, fires were too dangerous and repeated my request that he put the fire out. He then charged me, continuing to swear in front of his son, but thankfully didn't attack me. I told him I would be reporting him (which wouldn't do anything; there aren't enough rangers to cover the areas they are tasked with patrolling) and walked back to our campsite. He put his fire out. Of course, we had to worry all night that he would slash our tires while we tried to sleep.

Another guy's dog was running hundreds of yards up a hillside to accost the pikas and marmots. The posted rules said dogs must be on leash. (90% of dog owners ignore leash rules) I asked him to please not let his dog harass the wildlife. His defense? "We're all impacting the wildlife just by being here." I can't argue with that, but there are degrees of impact. I'm not chasing wildlife.

I suppose some day I'll be shot dead during one of these encounters. At least then I won't have to watch the continued degradation of our wild lands.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

And yes, clueless campers are at the campground we’ll be in for the next three nights. We, be been here a little over an hour, in a site off to one side of the loop. There are lots of social trails from sites that get down to lake. So far someone has ridden through our site on a mountain bike (he apologized, I think he thought he’d gotten on an actual trail), multiple people have walked near or through, and someone rode a dirt bike - definitely not allowed - through the site next to us and across the field. Can hardly wait until the weekend realy begins.
    I am stuck in the site, so will not be happy if it gets worse. (I rolled a rock this morning and sprained an ankle. Complicated it with another fall, aided by our trailer moving, as I was limping into Urgent Care. Lots of abrasions, and I’m supposed to keep the ankle up as much as possible for now. So, the campsite is my only place to relax. )

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    Susan Premo likes this.
  6. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

Ugh, that's a rough start to your trip. Hope the ankle feels better soon. You might need to find a few downed branches or logs to block the trail while you're there ;)

Good luck. Hope its turns out better than expected!

Susan Premo and kitphantom like this.
  7. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Pikas can retreat into their rocky dens, to escape bad campers and their pets, you and I cannot really escape so easily as those chuckleheads ruin our experience. Which is why we camp at remote locations as much as possible, boondocking.

P.S. we saw lots of Pikas on the Cascade Creek trail at Grand Teton N.P., the trail was out of Jenny Lake.

Susan Premo likes this.
  8. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Campers who are used to full-service campgrounds are heading out to limited-service campsites in the deep woods this year, but they are unprepared to haul their garbage home.

Some are also afraid of the vault toilet. The virus? Or just the non-flush part? I don't know, but I spent some time cleaning up the toilet paper 'flowers' some female left in full sight on the hill behind the campsite. Apparently she was afraid to actually walk up into the trees. I was wearing a walking boot after foot surgery and using my shovel as a cane, so I probably said a few extra bad words as I cleaned it up.

Susan Premo and sandreas like this.
  9. Mark CASTELLANI

my sister and BIL bought a TT last year... she called me and asked for my opinion of a campground in the NY's ADKs...they're meeting up with friends of theirs... after making their reservations, she called me back.... they realized that the campground doesn't have water or electricity hookups [none of the CGs, run by the DEC in the ADK, do]... she said that, when she shared her surprise to the DEC Rep, he replied..."Ma'am, THAT's why we call it Camping"

Happy Trails

10. sandreas

sandreas Member

For those who think it’s okay to leave their trash behind in the woods, stadiums or movie theaters, I wonder if these same folks would be okay with guests in their own homes taking a bite out of Super Bowl hot wings and throwing the bones on their living room floors. After all, it’s not the guests’ house, so not their problem. Right?:rolleyes:
    Thank you to all of you who try to leave it cleaner than you found it. That’s what my dad had us do and what I’ve stressed to my own kids.

11. kitphantom

It hasn’t been quite as bad as I feared, but bad enough. We have seen - and smelled - several campfires, in spite of a state wide ban. No mention of it when the host gave me our parking pass and apparently no enforcement either. Not sure why a campfire is that necessary when fire danger is high, there’s a ban, and the view is semi obscured due to fires in the state.

Susan Premo likes this.
  12. Mark CASTELLANI

can't imagine being under a fire ban... by the Grace of God, have never been under one but, we're in the NE

in my younger days, a campfire WAS a necessity [long before these small back-packer stoves] and I hiked/camped way back in the woods [and yes, I drowned my coals, stirred and drowned again... thanks Smokey T. Bear]but, even when tenting with our family, we always had our Coleman stove along... now we have the PUP stove that we take outside and hang from the rail [still haven't cooked inside... not even for coffee!!!]

I LOVE a campfire but, for us in the past some odd years, it's a "nice to have"... the sight, sound and AROMA can't be beat!... NOT at the expense of "burnin' down the house", though.

Happy Trails!

PS: well, that's not entirely true... have been under a fire ban [trash/leaves ban in suburbia] but, I don't ever recall being under one while I was on a camping trip.... too many trips in "liquid sunshine"

13. OldMedicDoc

OldMedicDoc Member

I am great full for being raised to clean up after myself and passing that on to my children. Whether it be at home, work or camping we might make a mess knowing it’s our responsibility to clean it up. I’m also great full to our State Parks who provide us with recycling bins along side the trash dumpsters.

Susan Premo likes this.
  14. kitphantom

Here in the SW, bans are pretty common. We’ve even encountered a ban that included white gas stoves. We now have a single burner LP stove to use outside, but that’s one reason we’d never remove an inside LP stove in a camper. because bans are not unusual, this year has been very dry, and there are current wildfires, it flummoxes me that campers would not check for status, or ignore bans.
    I learned how to make fires, cooking and stove, as a kid at our cabin in WNY. Bet I could still build a decent fire, we just don’t

15. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I have been fortunate with the campgrounds where I've stayed. Folks have been pretty good about trash and fire bans and such. But I stay up in the mountains away from "party campgrounds" or "close to civilization campgrounds".

We have fire bans a lot. There's a reason. Last week, we had a short thunder storm (went through in just a couple hours). There are well over 45 fires caused from lightning strikes. It's dangerous.

Like kitphantom, I would never remove my indoor stove - it may be the only way to cook.

17. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I am guessing that you have never been to a game in a stadium.

18. Mark CASTELLANI

so... we spent a week @ Fish Creek Pond, NY [I did a review here]

ya wanna talk a bout "Clueless Campers"?.... how's this?...saw this posted, last night, on the CG's Facebook Group site...

"Totally disgusted today that I witnessed 3 different campers at the dumping station emptying their camper and portable dumper on wheels without using a sewer hose!!! The poop and toilet paper going all over everywhere and even on themselves. A sewer hose is required people. Nobody wants to step in that. The deed of emptying is bad enough!! Please be respectful to others and the environment that we all share. Thank you"

and, GET THIS, in one of the replies...

"Terrible, where do these people come from? Saw two campers running hoses into the lake for dumping gray water and one throwing garbage into the woods. Those people should just stay home...."

DW just told me that when she went up to the bathroom, one day, she saw that someone had thrown a bag of trash behind a tree [she picked up what she could... I wish she had told me]

She has a phrase/prayer she recites as she drives through Suburbia and encounters dweebs on the road..."I love people, I love people, I love people..."

maybe I need to revise my review

Happy Trails!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    HappyTraveler likes this.
  19. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I have a phrase, too. It's not that nice.

20. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

OK I'm a little embarrassed now. Am I supposed to have a sewer hose for my Thetford Curve (dumps like a cassette toilet)? I know many people dump them in an actual toilet, but sometimes it's convenient to use the dump station. I usually make a bit of a mess doing this as well but I always clean it up and rinse stuff down the drain before leaving. Up until this COVID year we only used the potti for #1 so it wasn't as big of a deal.