CO detector went off- 2012 Aliner Classic

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by cambo, Jul 17, 2019.

1. cambo

cambo Member

Hello,

I took my family camping for the first time last weekend. I turned on the heater overnight and the CO detector went off, so I turned off the gas right away. Now that i’m back, I plan on trying to investigate further.

Any ideas on what I should check first? Thanks!

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Look for gas leaks long connection with soapy water.
    Also, check the date on your CO detector -they have a finite lifespan of around 5 years or a bit more, so if yours is the original it's about time to replace it.
    They also have a low power beep - for instance, if you were on battery, and it was close to that point, the furnace fan might have been enough to trigger a low power warning. Ours did that last year when the convertor was going and not consistently putting out 12v

Rik Peery likes this.
  3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Check the furnace vent on the outside of the camper for critter nests too.

Sjm9911, Rik Peery and kitphantom like this.
  4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Ours (CO detector) started going off about a year after we purchased the pup new. It was a 90-95 degree weekend. So no furnace. Ended up cutting the wires to it to silence it! I never replaced it. Since it was mounted on the ceiling and the hole was up there for the wires I left it retired in place. Since we do not run the furnace during the night on those cold trips I'm not all that worried about replacing it. Heck, this happened back in 2009!

But, you should check the expiration date on the unit and check the outside venting for the furnace as mentioned above.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  5. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Was it the CO detector, propane leak detector, or a combo unit? The propane detectors will go off with a low battery. I assume combo units would too.

6. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

There is much about your scenario that we don't know.
    1. Are we certain it was the CO detector or the propane detector or a combo unit?
    2. Were you on shore power or battery?
    3. What other appliances were being used on the same power source?
    4. Was anything else using propane?
    5. Are these the original detectors? A 2012 was likely made in 2011 so the detectors may be 8 years old.
    Knowing that information will guide what diagnostics you might need.

Snow likes this.
  7. cambo

cambo Member

Thanks everyone. I plan on checking it out this weekend. I was on shore power at the time. The unit is a combo, it detects CO and propane. Nothing else was using propane at the time. The alarm went off about one minute after I turned the heater on. As far as I know it is the original detector.

Thanks!

8. cambo

cambo Member

I turned on the heater this weekend and the Propane/CO alarm didn’t go off. Maybe there was some air in the lines or something.

9. cambo

cambo Member

Quick update on this... On our camping trip this weekend, the co/propane alarm went off again (at 5:30am), but this time the LP tank was turned OFF. Not sure what could be causing the alarm because this time it wasn’t associated with turning the heater on. Maybe it needs replacement?
    Thanks

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Low battery or a bad unit.

11. kitphantom

The timing may indicate low battery, if you were dry camping.
    Since you think it is the original detector, it is past the lifespan of detectors.

12. cambo

cambo Member

Thanks everyone for the help with this. Does anyone see any issues with the idea below?

I was thinking about removing the old/faulty CO detector and instead using a battery operated CO monitor. They are much cheaper than the 12v detectors and last up to 10 years. I realize that this wouldn't detect propane, but I think I would 1) turn the LP tank off before bedtime and 2) be able to smell a propane leak during the daytime.

Thoughts? Hopefully I can solve the problem before our next camping trip in October. Thanks!

13. bheff

bheff Active Member

I dont see a problem with that. Guess how many houses have exactly what you described?

14. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Turning off the propane every night seems a) a lot of work and b) prone to error.

Will you get away with doing this cheaply? Most likely. Is there a chance things could fail catastrophically? Certainly.

For the few extra bucks, I'd replace it with a proper unit. Your and your family's safety is worth it.

kitphantom likes this.
  15. kitphantom

We had to replace our LP/CO detector, and the price was worth it. First, I don't have the ambition to turn the LP on/off every day. Second, we use it for the fridge while dry camping (which is most of the time) and furnace, which we can need almost any time of year depending on where we are, esp at night.
    A couple of years ago, I apparently hit the stove knob just enough to turn the LP ever so slightly on. I didn't smell it, and until I closed the window around 2 a.m., near the head of the bed, the LP/CO detector didn't go off. I had just fallen back to sleep when the detector went off. Once I got across the camper, I could smell the LP, it did take a few seconds for me to figure out what was happening, since I'd been jerked awake.

16. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

It wasn't my co2 but our propane detector. So, for what it's worth, ours went off once. Everyone bailed out of the camper. Started asking what happened. One of my kids hit the test button. Doesn't sound like what happened to you but just proof that it always isn't the obvious.

17. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Get the propane detector. And use a battery powered co detector. Just not worth saving 80 bucks getting hurt or worse. The odds are that nothing will probably ever happen to you without them, but for a small amount of money its not a gamble. Just not it. Professional and honest opinion.