CO - Mueller St Pk other ideas?

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by erich0521, Jun 13, 2009.

1. erich0521

erich0521 New Member

I'm thinking of taking our 3 kids (13, 9 and 8 yrs old) to the Colorado Springs area. I know there have been posts about Mueller SP but I thought I'd ask for some recommendations, etc.

Let me know what you think of Mueller. Also, things to do in the area. What loops of the CG do you like or dislike, etc. I've never beent to the park before.

Thanks all.

2. bobhcs

bobhcs Colorado Springs

Mueller is a very nice SP. I've been there a lot but never camped there. It would be a nice choice. I think the sites have electricity.

Cheyenne Mountain State Park opened for camping this year. It is also nice and has full hookups. It is lower in elevation so will be warmer though. We camped at it for two short trips to try out our new pup this spring and really liked it. We could hardly believe that we were so close to home.

[​IMG]

Painted Rocks campground near Woodland Park is nice. I've been through there but never camped there. We usually go a little farther. It doesn't have hookups. A bike trail goes by the campground that goes to Woodland Park.

All the campgrounds close to Colorado Springs are pretty popular and often fill up, especially on the weekends so make sure to get reservations as soon as possible. If needed you could go farther to Eleven Mile but you probably don't want to drive that far.

3. bobhcs

bobhcs Colorado Springs

I referenced the "Colorado Campgrounds, The 100 Best and all the Rest" book and here is a little more info on Mueller. There are nice views of Pikes Peak from the Peak View Loop. Conifer Ridge feels more private and some sites have views of Pikes Peak. Grouse Mountain loop is the second most popular loop after Peak View. It's a great book if you plan to visit Colorado much.

Mueller would probably offer a more "Colorado" experience while still being only about 30 miles from Colorado Springs. Cheyenne Mountain has other advantages like the full hookups if you want them and you are literally on the side of the same mountain as the zoo and just at the southern edge of town with a mountain feel.

If you do decide to come and want suggestions for attractions just let me know.

4. erich0521

erich0521 New Member

Thanks guys! I did end up making a reservation for Mueller. I like the idea of the convenience of Cheyenne Mtn but I've always wanted to go to Mueller. At any rate, we'll be there July 13 thru that Thursday night.

Weren't too many spots left but we ended up booking site 52 as the girls want to be closer to a "real bathroom", showers, etc.

Some items on our to see list: Pikes Peak, perhaps the zoo, Garden of the Gods, and of course some light hiking trails around Mueller. Let me know if you think of some fun things for me to do with the kids.

5. mmaine

mmaine New Member

If you go all the way into Colo. Spgs. checkout the Air Force Academy. Especially take the tour of the Chapel it is really cool. Make sure to stop by the visitors center to stock up on all the Air Force goodies.

6. bobhcs

bobhcs Colorado Springs

IMHO the zoo is definitely worth it. It has had some major upgrades in the last 10 to 15 years and has a really nice setting on the side of Cheyenne Mountain. My favorite exhibit is the Rocky Mountain animals which includes a couple grizzly bears, mountain lions, lynx, moose, wild turkeys, etc. You are separated from the bears by a sheet of glass. Often they are fishing while you watch. You walk under the mountain lions. You can also drive your TV into the zoo and up to the Will Rodgers Shrine of the Sun. It has a beautiful view of the city. You'll have a birds eye view of everything including Garden of the Gods and the Broadmoor golf courses.

There are some really nice trails in Mueller. You can't go wrong there. Woodland Park has a place called The Rocky Mountain Dinosaur Resource Center. It is a working fossil laboratory.

http://www.rmdrc.com/

In the Springs (Colorado Springs) there is also Cheyenne Canon, the Olympic Training Center, Old Colorado City and Manitou Springs.

Your state park pass should work for Cheyenne Mountain State Park if you need more hiking. Look up at Cheyenne Mountain sometime and you can see the entrance to NORAD. I got a tour of it once but I don't think they do that anymore.

There is a lot of other stuff to like the North Pole (for little kids), Cave of the Winds (pretty neat), Rampart Range Road (you can get to it from Garden of the Gods and travel back to Woodland Park this way but it has a lot of washboard), Pioneer Museum (small but free), etc.

One more fun thing is the Flying W Ranch. They have a Cowboy Stage Show while you eat a chuckwagon dinner outside. The food is good and so is the entertainment. I'm not sure if they are still doing it but last summer they had Cowboy Church on Sunday mornings.

http://www.flyingw.com/

7. erich0521

erich0521 New Member

Thank you all. Sounds like good advice. We we are booked into Mueller SP. I forget the site but it is fairly close to the Camper services building...my 2 girls want to be near "real bathrooms", etc. We'll be there Monday July 13 (I think) thru Friday morning.

8. yakman4

yakman4 Camping here I come.

I was just there memorial week. Great State park. Bathroom are clean and modern, Great trails and the staff are really friendly.

If your looking for thinks to do head towards Cripple Creek. Next to it is the small town of Victor from there head down Phantom Canyon its a beautiful drive, great sceanery it has alltypes of switchbacks as you head down. We even got to see a black bear and cub but they ran before we could get the camera out. There's great place to stop and picnic along the creek that winds thru.

Well enjoy you trip I know you'l have a blast like we did.

I wish I was going back right now.