CO. San Luis SP

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by yakman4, May 31, 2009.

1. yakman4

yakman4 Camping here I come.

Overall great State park camp site.

We went ther memorial weekend 2009.

Sites were a little close together but the views of the lake mountains and sand dunes sure made up for that. Bathrooms are clean and showers are free.

Close by sand dunes which costs $6 for adults and $3 for kids 4-12 well worth the money. My daughter just loved it.

There's an off road 4x4 road to the top of the mountain for those with that intrest best suited for high clearence jeep sized vehicles but I was able to make it up with a full sized dodge ram with a few tight spots.

Fishing is also an option. $26 for a 5 day out of state licence.

I would definately make a return visit a little later in the year when it was warmer.

Oh by the way if you go there don't put up your awning It gets a little windy I learned the hard way. My awning was ripped away from the camper the first day when we were gone. I'll just have to get it re-sown and it'll be about 3" shorter now. We live and learn.

I will post photos asap so you all can see.

2. mmaine

mmaine New Member

What !! wind in Colorado HA !! Yeah you got to tie down the awning good here. Usually the Great Sand Dunes are a great place to go in late May or early June the creek is high and the water flowing across the sand flows in a surge pattern. It will be smooth for awhile and then up come a small wave followed by another smooth flow. We were there last year on Memorial day weekend and it was hot. The grand kids spent most of the day in the stream and had a ball. I hope you enjoyed Colorado.

3. bobhcs

bobhcs Colorado Springs

Thanks for sharing your trip. I like that area and it is always nice to hear about it.

I would imagine the 4x4 road that you are talking about is Medano Pass. It is a really nice 4x4 road that connects the sand dunes with the east side of the Sangre de Cristo mountains a little south of Westcliffe. It is really neat to go to the sand dunes from the east side. The road starts getting a little more and more sandy. Eventually you are in the middle of the sand. It's easy to get stuck in the sand if you are not careful and it's obviously no place for a trailer.

4. yakman4

yakman4 Camping here I come.

Here are a few pics thats I said I would post.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

We may stay there next summer if we visit Great Sand Dunes NP.

6. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

I don't think resurfacing a 3-year-old review just to say that you may stay there at some point in the future is helpful for this board. Campgrounds change a lot from year to year, let alone in a 3-year span ... esp with the pine beetle issues we have here. I think it's best to leave these very old reviews at the bottom of the board and replace them with current reviews.

I look forward to reading your reviews when you camp at the Great Sand Dunes NP or other locations.

7. gjamamama

gjamamama Member

Just returned from a 2 night stay at San Luis Lake State Wildlife Area. Here's our take:
    (skip to the end if you want to see our video with CG review...)
    We wanted to stay in Great Sand Dunes, but planned our trip too late and the NP CG was all full. This was pretty much our only other reservable option.
    Cost: we rented 2 sites side by side for 2 nights each. 20$ total for both! ***However: Now that this defunct State Park is a State Wildlife Area, there is a mandatory, Per Adult access fee: 36$/person. This is a yearly access fee and applies statewide, so one can use it across the state at other SWA's.
    The lake was full, but seemed to be not very fishable. Lots of grass and reeds. Was a bit stinky. Wildlife: Well - we *were* visited by the kangaroo rats each night at the fire. Bold and brave little guys. Harmless - just hopping around looking for a bite to eat I suppose. Saw 1 heron. Other than that - not much wildlife at this SWA. But honestly - we didn't go looking really.
    The entire area is sandy and covered with a scrubby thornbush plant. You are out in the desert and the winds can be wicked at times.

Facilities:
    Sites: Level, gravel, sand. No shade other than covered picnic tables. Fire ring. Pit toilets. Showers now closed. Electric. No potable water.
    Views: Amazing. Can see up the Sangre de Cristo range from New mexico way up into CO. Endless blue sky. Lovely.
    Access to Sand Dunes NP: About 15-20 min drive and then NP access was 15$/vehicle.

For us, the views were 5 star. The access to the NP was good. The cost with the access fee for what you get at this place + the sand, thorns, and no-see-um bites....well, lets just say we don't plan to go back. Just make sure you get online in time to reserve in the SP at their CG.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017