Coachman Clipper hardside?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Kathy in Montana, May 16, 2019.

1. Kathy in Montana

Kathy in Montana New Member

Hello - Considering buying a lightly used (3 times) 2016 Coachmen Clipper Hardside C12RBST for a good price. There are few dealers of A frames in my area, the nearest is 110 mi, there is another 200 mi. I know the sellers and they are totally honest and reliable. It is exactly what I want in terms of features. Is this a dependable brand? It looks like they are no longer making hardside pups; is this a bad sign? I am an experienced tenter, this will be my first camper. Thanks!

2. Yacoma99

Yacoma99 Member

You may want to contact Coachman and ask about parts availability but other than that, if the pup is what you want & the price is right, go for it.

3. kipper

kipper New Member

We have a Viking 12rbst-we have owned it for a year. The issues we have had- second time out the refrigerator stoped cooling. Our dealer said it may take months- I removed it myself and flipped it over -known as burping and that was that issue-
    The roof appears to be sagging and it rubs scratching the interior ceiling- I installed a small roller bearing so it doesn’t rub now and I still haven’t figured out about the sagging roof line . I’m a school bus mechanic so I do my own work-not trusting dealers. Knowing what I know I may not have purchased it- but it’s what we wanted and we do love the trailer.
    We have owned a few trailers over the years and they all have issues.
    It does tow great and setup is under a minute.

4. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Sometimes it’s better to buy a certified used Aframe than spending lots of money on a new model. Just like cars/trucks, the depreciation hits when you leave the dealership lot. Plus all the problems may have been fixed by the first owner.

Ask your dealer to include a one year warranty so you can have items repaired if needed by your dealership. Keep in mind, most dealerships aren’t knowledgeable in repairing Aframes. Each brand of Aframe are constructed differently using a variety of material. Confirm your Aframe is being repaired/replaced with products used by it’s manufacturer.

Aframes are excellent trailers for first time RVers. You get the luxury of a trailer that tows easily and set up quickly. The ability to store Aframes at home in a garage, carport or outside in the yard governed by HOA rules is a plus. You can camp anywhere because of it’s size and easy mobility. You can camp in areas with bear restrictions.

The biggest issue with Aframes is SPACE. Do you camp longer than a week or two at a time? How many people will sleep inside? Is there enough interior space during inclement weather? How often are you outside when camping? Are you planning to stay or cook indoors often? How much items do you need to bring when camping? Do you need a inside shower and or toilet?

Good luck searching,

Happy Camping[ALPU][PUT]

Rik Peery likes this.
  5. Kathy in Montana

Kathy in Montana New Member

"The roof appears to be sagging and it rubs scratching the interior ceiling- I installed a small roller bearing so it doesn’t rub now and I still haven’t figured out about the sagging roof line . I Knowing what I know I may not have purchased it- but it’s what we wanted and we do love the trailer.
    We have owned a few trailers over the years and they all have issues.
    It does tow great and setup is under a minute.'

Thank you! I did put it up easily. One corner of the roof (the side opposite of the door) didn't engage right away - the owner pointed it out and I just had to give it an extra nudge and it clicked into place. They have never used the AC, the fridge nor the water tank. Thanks again for the info!

6. kipper

kipper New Member

oh the front storage box is worth it’s weight in gold !

Kathy in Montana likes this.