Coachmen Clipper Sport 106 - Add Battery

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Matt_C, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Matt_C

Matt_C New Member

I have a 2005 Coachmen Clipper Sport 106 that I purchased last year. When I purchased it there was no battery box or battery installed on the front. I am now looking to add one onto the pup.
    I figured that the previous owner just disconnected/cut the wires, so I just took a brief look under the trailer and I don't see anything I think would be the correct wires there.

Does anyone have some pics of a similar setup and/or a wiring diagram for this trailer? Colour codes for the wires that I would be looking for.
    Any help at all really :)

Thanks in advance

2. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

I would look for a converter first so that you have something to connect the battery to.
    Might have been removed.

3. Matt_C

Matt_C New Member

Yes the power converter is there.
    The camper works hooked up to shore power and everything functions properly.

4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

This is how my coachmen was wired, presumably by the dealer

Ring terminals @ the battery, in line fuse near the batt +, batt - wired to frame with ring terminal/star washer/screw. A crappy yellow crimp splice to the main charge line. The existing charge line from the traile/TV connector was spiced into, the existing charge line + connected to the power center via a red wire designated for 12v + input.

batt-1.jpg

Matt_C likes this.
  5. Matt_C

Matt_C New Member

Excellent. Thanks for the diagram. That really helps me visualize it.
    I took another look and did find a light blue wire that has a splice connector with one of the cables cut off. I'm guessing that could be the one I'm looking for.
    There is also a grounding point with a broken cable on it, so that was probably where the negative was grounded.
    I'm up in Canada so I'll have to wait until I can get the camper out this spring to look inside at the wires to see if that is the correct one or not, but at least I've got a lead.

Still open to other suggestions if anyone has any help. Thanks all for the quick responses!

6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

The blue wire is probably for brakes. Follow it and see if it goes to the back of the wheels.

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

IMG_0870.JPG

8. Matt_C

Matt_C New Member

I saw that the light blue wire is marked for brakes on most wiring diagrams, but my trailer doesn't have brakes.

9. Matt_C

Matt_C New Member

Been a while, but I finally got around to looking at this again. Found the right wire. My coachman has a 6 pin adapter built into the tongue where you plug a 6 pin harness into. In my case, the old owner converted this to a 4 pin and I found the +12v pink wire and blue brake wires cut off and tucked inside electrical tape. I verified the pink wire goes to the red wire of the power center designated for +12v input from battery. So I think I have the wires figured out. Thanks rabird for putting me on the right track!

My next question would be, should I tap into the +12v wire on the trailer, or use the cut off end on the harness that plugs into the trailer 6 pin and tow vehicle 4 pin?
    OR
    Should I just run from the battery back inside the camper to the red 12v+ wire from the power center?

Hopefully someone can follow what I'm asking.
    Thanks again for any help with this.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020 at 2:04 PM
  10. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I think I'd just hook onto the pick wire you mentioned if you are not gonna add vehicle charging, just tie the batt + the the wire that is there.