Coachmen Clipper Warranty Help

Discussion in 'RV Dealers & Repair Shops' started by kelvor, Jul 1, 2020.

1. kelvor

kelvor New Member

Hey all,

We bought a brand new 2020 Coachmen Clipper 108ST last month. Overall we are pleased with the camper and have taken it out 4 times now. However, there are a few issues that should be covered under the warranty. Namely, the tongue jack snapped this past weekend (made a loud pop noise and the whole thing collapsed to the minimum height while trying to crank it off the car. I ended up using my car's emergency jack to boost it up), 4 out of 6 of the curtain cords (the thin cords with a black lock thingy that you use to push the curtains up) have broken, and one of my stabilizer jacks is broken and won't stay up. It cranks down and supports weight, but when cranked back up it moves freely up and down so I had to tie it up with rope when driving so it won't drag the road.

When I go to the Coachmen website and look for the warranty department, it is literally one person and it lists her personal phone number. I called and left 4 voicemails in the last week and didn't hear a thing. I finally got a call back yesterday (7 days after my original voicemail) and her instructions were to take it to my local Coachmen dealer to get it evaluated. I called them and they said it was an 6-8 week wait to get in. :sad: I am trying to get a hold of the lady at Coachmen again to find out if I can just have the parts shipped directly to me to install them myself but again, leaving voicemails without any kind of response. I decided to try the parent company and called Forest River's warranty department, but they just told me the same thing (go to a dealer) and said they couldn't ship me any parts.

Is this complete lack of warranty support typical? What can I do to get some attention from this company to get my brand new PUP fixed? I am a little disappointed that so many things have already gone wrong on a brand new model. I am considering just ordering the parts myself on Amazon but then I would have to pay for them and am not getting the advantage of the warranty.

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Your dealer should be in contact with Forest River for you. Parts should have been ordered already. If still no help, talk to another dealer. They have probably seen issues with the other dealer before.

Blackripley likes this.
  3. kelvor

kelvor New Member

I asked the dealer if they could order parts, but they said they had to see it first and the first available appointment to bring it in was 6 weeks away. This is not the dealer I bought it at either. We had to drive 6 hours to find a dealer with the model we wanted so now I am talking to a local dealer where we live that we haven't done business with before. I called the dealer we bought it at but they said the same thing - bring it in for us to look at first, which is not feasible since I am 6 hours away.

4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

When I bought my new camper last year, there were a couple of things wrong with it that prevented me from using it. I decided to just suck it up and fix them myself rather than look at it in the driveway for several weeks waiting for the dealership. There were other things wrong that I lived with all summer, then got fixed under warranty in the fall. If it were me, I'd order a tongue jack off of the internet (maybe upgrade to a power jack), pick up a cheap bottle jack at harbor freight to use as a stabilizer, and try to live with the cords until fall, or at.least until they can get you in.

5. myride

myride Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

☝that said...AND KEEP the receipts for reinbursment from the dealer.

6. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

yes, RV dealers are not at all like new car dealerships, they are more like used car salesmen. They are an independent business and not a franchise of the manufacturer.
    It is also typical that a dealer that you did not buy the camper from may not even work on your camper. A 6-8 week wait is also not out of the ordinary. At the end of the camping season last year, my appointment was 3 months out to bring my camper to the dealer for some stuff i wanted done - and that was not even warranty stuff - i was paying. How well the dealer is able to help you is a function of the dealer. Even though my dealer could not fit me in for 3 months last time, they have worked with me to do an emergency repair to my awning so i would have a fixed awning for my week long camping trip to the beach.

I would suggest that you find a mobile RV repair person. They can do the work IF PREAPPROVED by Coachman. My understanding is that you will have to pay upfront and then get reimbursed from Coachman.
    Or just do the work yourself.

7. kelvor

kelvor New Member

Thanks for the input all. I am just going to order my own parts and do the repair myself then talk with a dealer/Forest River to get reimbursed for the parts.

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

good luck with that, I'd read the contract and likely not expect any reimbursement unless the contract terms were followed. its really a shame.

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Good luck, and yes sadly very typical. Thing about RV shops is because Camping is seasonal they only have limited staff to do repairs. It’s not like retail where you can hire High school /college students during the summer. So shops only keep the one or two repair techs for the ton of campers going in during the summer. Sadly my parents TT spent the majority of the time in for warranty work than out camping. It’s sad, and even worse there is hardly any quality control being done by the manufacturer.

10. kelvor

kelvor New Member

Yeah I'm starting to realize I'm probably better off just doing the majority of maintenance and repairs on it myself, and just forgetting the warranty exists unless its something huge that goes wrong. I'm pretty handy so I don't mind doing repairs.

eoleson1 likes this.
  11. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

probably a good plan. Something I do t think has been mentioned yet is the quality of the repairs under warranty. You never know what you'll get. If you do the repairs yourself, you'll know the are done right.

kelvor likes this.
  12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Also keep in mind that on top of the sometimes huge backlog a dealer service department has, they are even further behind now with potential reduced staffing due to covid and increased demand for repairs with everyone buying stuff right now. There was a good thread a while back on the rv subreddit from a service tech manager at a dealership that really helped put it into perspective. That is without a doubt not an easy job - with parts shortages from the manufacturer, reduced overall quality for new RVs, staffing issues, seasonal increased demand, and a huge amount of overall pissy owners that take it out on everyone. My stress level would be through the roof if I worked that job.

Good luck - review your contract/warranty terms. You will need to follow it to the letter in order to be covered. I think that is one way manufacturers get around a lot of issues - with a backlog of work on the dealer side, the majority of owners just fix things themselves because they want to be out camping, andd then the manufacturer can come back and say you didn’t follow the terms, no money for you!

13. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

I would still call and start a claim. Part of what you have paid for in buying new is your warranty. You are not bugging them when asking them to do their job. As far as I can tell every new camper/RV has some warranty issues. A good dealer who does good work is still worth their weight in gold and there are many out there.
    I'm sure this is the information you have.

Forest River Wants Satisfied Customers

Your satisfaction and goodwill are important to both your RV dealer and to Forest River. If you experience a problem and you have exhausted all attempts to rectify the situation with your RV dealership, you may consider contacting the Forest River Warranty/Customer Service representative. Contact information is provided below according to brand.

When calling, please have the following information ready:
    1. Your VIN number.
    2. Name and location of your selling dealer.
    3. The date of your purchase.
    4. The nature of the problem.
    Rockwood/Flagstaff