1. electronflux

electronflux Member

A highly debated subject close to the heart of most, if not all, campers...The best way to brew camp coffee.

While watching Modern Marvels - Coffee this morning on the History channel, the experts say that using a percolator is the WORST way to brew coffee.

I know that all perc users are now saying "you're full of crap, my perc coffee is great"

The way a percolator brews changes the coffee chemically, making it bitter.

According to the experts, the best way it to heat the water to just under 200* and pour into a french press, steeping for about 5-10 minutes. Doing it this way keeps all the oils and aromatics in the coffee.

This will probably not change anyone's way of making their coffee, but this is what the coffee experts say.

2. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah ... we've heard all that before. Wouldn't surprise me if the "experts" were getting a compensation from some french press manufacturer! (LOL)

Like other experts have said ... "coffee is bad for you" ....
    Then another batch of experts say ... "coffee is good for you" ...

As anyone knows, while camping, simply take a pot of water from a clear trout stream, bring it to a boil, throw in a hand full of coffee, reduce heat to a very low boil for 5 minutes, remove from the heat, add one ice cube and watch all the grounds sink like a rock ... and presto ... cowboy coffee, guaranteed to make any camping trip unforgettable!

3. pattimac00

pattimac00 Live life to the fullest

When we camp - coffee is one of our luxuries that we will not skimp on. We boil our water, take a coffee grinder and plug it into our Jeep to grind the coffee and you can get a silicone coffee filter from an outdoor store for about $12.00. We put the silicone filter on top of our thermos with the freshly ground coffee and let it drip into the thermos - excellent coffee!

4. TheWunders

TheWunders Parkville, Maryland

The best way is to take a walk to your friend's site with an empty mug and after a few minutes say that you'll be back soon because you need a refill. 99 times out of 100 they will fill your cup with their freshly brewed coffee.

5. 1madscot

1madscot Member

^^^ I did that once, found out they made really horrible coffee... [:(O]

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I'm sticking to my Melita: put coffee in a filter in a plastic cone and mount it on the glass decanter. Pour boiling water on the coffee and let it drip through. Fantastic coffee, little time or mess and no electricity required.

7. salsa

salsa Member

I have a french press and a perc for the camper. The perc is fine, although the trick is not letting it cook for too long, and bringing the temp down after it starts. I have seen the same show, but I could care less. If I like the coffee from my perc, no history channel will change my mind. Coffee experts are like wine experts, they all have their own opinion and will not agree.

8. tmmull

tmmull Member

If I'm plugged in I have a 2 (real) cup drip machine. If boon docking I have a smiler sized French Press. When we camp with the Boy Scouts we have 2, 10 cup Coleman's that we alternate from. Scout leaders drink a lot of Joe.

9. USKustoms

USKustoms pimp my trailer

Cowboys had ice cubes??

10. USKustoms

USKustoms pimp my trailer

We buy the cheapest coffee we can find, use a percolator over the propane stove, and poor it right into a cup with so much flavored creamer in it, we can't taste the coffee anyway! Yummy.

11. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Well ... no, that's a modern, innovation, what they used was a small stick from the campfire and stuck the glowing amber end into the pot for a couple of seconds and that helped - but not like the ice cube!

12. ecupcar

ecupcar New Member

I have a 4 cup Mr. Coffee that is convenient and makes good coffee. I also have a stainless percolator for coffee over the fire. I enjoy that better, but takes forever... Anyway, Coffee is a must for every morning for me and enjoy a cup first thing in the morning when most of the CG are still asleep except for us early risers. Its peaceful and relaxing.

13. electronflux

electronflux Member

Like I said in the beginning:

I'm not going to change either. I have a perc and one of those coleman drip makers and can't tell the difference in taste.

14. PATMD

PATMD SOILENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

Those coffee EXPERTS would have to drink perked coffee at my camp. I do have a small MR. COFFEE that I use when I have a sight with power. If I am in a BIG HURRY, then I use coffee bags for a single cup of coffee. I'm sure those coffee experts would poo-poo on all that!!! [:O]
    PATMD

15. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

I bought a percolator years back because that's the way my dad did it. It tasted like burnt coffee. I'll go to Starbucks if I want that taste. [:D] Now I use the pecolator to boil water and pour through my Melita.

16. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

I like my Coleman stove top dripper, but it's a little bulky, and kind of slow, and you have to remember to turn the stove off when it's done or you will fry it. I sure make good coffee, though!

Greg

17. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

[LOL] [LOL] I make my coffee so weak, no one will drink it but me. It's also decaf, but necessary for me. BUT, I can drink regular crap in public IF I can have a little coffee with my cream and sugar. [A] Glad to know I'm not alone! I'm currently addicted to Hershey's Chocolate Caramel. YUMMMMMMM
    [:D]

18. Unstable_Tripod

I picked up the habit of making really strong coffee many years ago in Germany, where my hosts asked me, "Why do Americans make weak coffee and then drink three or four cups of it? Why not make really good coffee and drink two cups?" So DW and I make it super strong. She drinks it black and I put just enough half and half in it to color it slightly. Too much would spoil it. Definitely no sugar or flavors. We like to taste the coffee! We drink a lot of varieties but our favorite is a dark roast Sumatran. I can taste the difference between drip and perk coffee and I don't like perk.

19. Lizooki

Lizooki getting back 2 nature

Perc-ing coffee doesn't change it ..... boiling the coffee during or after does.
    If your perc-ed coffee tastes bad, you're doing it wrong.
    That said, the only time I perc is when I don't have electricity ..... otherwise I use the coffee maker.
    Mine is as good as anybodies.

Matt

20. Unstable_Tripod

But... for you to really know that to be a true fact you would have had to have tasted everyone's coffee.