coffee maker going camping

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by tjcamp, Oct 10, 2011.

1. tjcamp

tjcamp New Member

Hey I was wondering how you should pack your coffee maker so the glass carafe doesn't break. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

I don't even bother. I just boil some water, pour a Starbucks VIA packet into my mug, and add the water. It tastes as good as a cup of coffee I'd paid $3 for at a barista, no trouble at the campsite, and nothing extra to pack. I used to carry coffee makers, Melita filters, a French press, a percolator. This beats all of them hands down.

3. cico7

cico7 Friend request denied.

Here are my ideas....
    1-Leave it at home and get a T kettle for boiling water and use dipping bags.
    2-Get a plastic Carafe so it doesnt break
    3-A soft side cooler and wrap the caraqfe in foam like you get from a packaging store.
    4-Go to McDonalds
    5-wrap in a sleeping bag

My son gets insulin shipped to him every couple months. The insulin is wrapped in a thin foam box. I use it for insulation in open spaces, seat padding, and a few other things.

Coleman used to make, and may still, a container for holding lanterns. They were solid and could keep your pot secure.

4. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We store ours in the original box and place it in the cubby under the dinette. Been traveling like that for the last 5 years and had no problems [A]

5. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Ditto!!

6. tjcamp

tjcamp New Member

All good ideas, thanks. We already bought a (cheap) coffee maker for the camper, we debated on getting a percolator & decided the quickest cup after getting set up is a coffee maker, It's our only luxury (electric) purchase we made for our new camper. We did purchase a hibachi grill, folding table, pots/pans, some dinnerware, dishpan/drainer & the free standing utility cart. An electric heater was thrown in by the previous owner, so everything else we pretty much already had from tent camping.

7. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

You might still want to get a pot to boil some water for those times you may want to camp away from crowds and hookups. It's just as fast as any coffee maker except a Keurig.

8. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

"We store ours in the original box and place it in the cubby under the dinette. Been traveling like that for the last 5 years and had no problems"
    Me three! I used to pack towel and things aroung the box, but gave that up when I got a bigger ouo. No trouble at all.

9. RAGAR Family

RAGAR Family Member

I used to be a bit olde school when it comes to my coffee, there is nothing better [{:)] than a cup of coffee perked in an old school coffee pot. I am a regular joe who like his joe regular, I can't stand [:(O] drinking powdered or instant coffee. I drink like two cups a day and now that I am the only coffee drinker, I have a 4 cup Mr. Coffee maker that lives in the [PU].

I think its packed pretty snug, if it breaks then I will spend another $16 and buy a new one, and will probably store it in its box. Would be nice if Mr. Coffee may a metal 4 cup decanter.

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I have a Melita glass carafe with the plastic funnel filter holder on top. I wrap a piece of small bubble wrap (that came with something I ordered on the 'net) around the carafe before putting it in its cardboard box. This has kept it from breaking for over two decades.

However, recently I have been skipping the glass carafe and simply holding the funnel/filter on top of the thermos so the hot coffee goes right in there. It's a bit tedious to hold the filter cone while the coffee is dripping through but I don't care. It only takes a couple of minutes. I heat the water in a teapot on the stove. Cleanup is simple: toss the filter and grounds, then rinse out the thermos, plastic filter holder and cup. I get fantastic coffee and no electricity is needed.

11. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I put it back it its original box.
    It them is sandwiched under the seat next to the electric heat (boxed) and the fan (boxed).

If I didn't have the box, I'd stuff it into one of the many 5 gallon buckets I have.

12. electronflux

electronflux Member

i use a metal percolator mostly. if DW is coming i bring my coleman stovetop drip. It stays in the orig box w/ a layer of bubble wrap around it.

13. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

I have a Coleman lantern that travels in its original box has for years and have never broke the glass and I cant remember when I last had to replace a mantle even . Id say the box is best with some bubble wrap.

I love my percolator and I have about 10 of them ? Not sure why!

For larger groups its all about the cowboy coffee over the fire . Boiled then a cup of cold water to settle the grounds .

14. icsopris

icsopris Is it Friday yet?

15. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Thanks! Never heard that! [A]

16. tjcamp

tjcamp New Member

Oh I'm so excited! I can't wait till this weekend. I put the glass carafe in the cardboard packaging fitted for it, and packed it in the original box w/coffee maker (skipped all other cardboard & packaging), stored it in cabinet under counter, hopefully it works (fingers crossed). Well camper is just about all packed up for the trip this weekend, all we have to do is get food stuff & then pack food items, ice chest & of coarse our clothes & personal items. And still more to do, we still have to do title transfer & tags, already tried but after hubby took off work 1 day last week already to spend at good ol' MVA only to find out we needed "bill of sale" notarized, for a little pup up, can u believe it! We thought the signed over title would be enough.

17. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Happy camping, enjoy the coffee!

18. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

When my Grandmother passed, years ago, I found an old steel percolator in her stuff. It lives in the camper now, still brewing a good cup of joe in the AM. This thing is built like a tank, I believe I could run over it with the truck and it would not be hurt at all. One cool thing about it is that a very cheery little orange light that comes on then the coffee is done. We also carry a standard stove top pot for percolating over the propane flame if necessary.
    MR

19. FC

FC Central Florida

French press.

20. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

We have a "wedding present" Farberware percolator - now 45 yrs. old - that lives in the [PU] and makes 10-12 cups (5 oz. cups, not the size we use!). We've got drip makers and French press at home, but the old Farberware still works great and smells delicious on those early camping mornings!