Coffee while Camping...

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by Rey-Pop-UP, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Rey-Pop-UP

Rey-Pop-UP Member

Me and my wife love our cups of coffee throughout the day. Last season I purchased a Small Stanley french press to take with us on our trips. The only thing I don’t like is Having to clean out the coffee grounds after every use and the french press only holds about 16oz. We have a Keurig at home but don't want to risk it getting damaged. Just wondering how everyone else prepares their cup of joe while at camp? Thanks in Advance..

Schlemmerfam likes this.
  2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I use a plastic pour over that uses #2 filters. All I have to do is heat water in the kettle, add enough coffee for the amount I want to brew, pour over, and then toss the filter and the grounds. Makes great coffee, and requires very little cleanup.

Rey-Pop-UP likes this.
  3. davekro

davekro Active Member

We use the camping percolator type. But even low on the Coleman single burner we use (inside just for morning coffee), seems to boil over unless you keep an eye like a hawk on it. Hard when not awake yet. ;o). And it takes 10- 15 mins. I prep it the night before, so I just have to light the burner... and pay attention!

What brands or models of pour over devices do you use to make maybe 32 oz or so in one batch. I drink one! But DW likes 2-3 cups.

Rey-Pop-UP likes this.
  4. Rey-Pop-UP

Rey-Pop-UP Member

We have a small Stanley french press we purchased at Walmart. It works good but same with us, we usually have a few cups so the whole process takes too long to make more than one batch. We’ve tried Instant coffee but don’t really like the taste much.

5. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

As I age the lesson of less is more has been learned. The less you carry the less storage is needed. The less you have to worry about. The less you have to maintain. The less to break.

Our coffee maker does double duty. It is the basic Mr Coffee Maker that will run on 120 VAC. But we boondock a lot. You set the Mr Coffee up as normal and heat water in a kettle on the propane stove. But you have to make several pours over the grounds. Well, you get two pieces of 1/2" by 1/2" wood and lay across the top of the grounds basket. Punch 4 to 5 holes in the bottom of a 40 oz can and stand it on top of the wood. Pour the boiling water in the can that drains into the basket cutting down on the number of pourings. Very important: punch the holes in the can from the inside out.

https://www.popupportal.com/threads/how-do-you-make-coffee-the-juice-of-life.127226/

Rey-Pop-UP likes this.
  6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I have the small single cup keurig stored permanently in my pup on for several seasons. It’s tougher than you think and the single cup units are pretty small.

For boondocking I use a MyJo coffee maker. It work pretty well.

7. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

I have a Melitta pour over thingy and an old percolator pot in my cook box. What I use depends on what I’m doing and how much needs made. My Jetboil pack stove came with a French press that’s handy though the Melitta would work in a pack setting too.

Rey-Pop-UP likes this.
  8. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

We have one of the stove-top percolators too. It takes too long and doesn't make enough coffee.

We bought one of these a couple years ago for the camper and ended up taking it home. It takes about five, maybe six minutes to make 12 cups. I think I'm going to buy another one for the camper.
    https://www.amazon.com/Presto-02811...ocphy=9023909&hvtargid=pla-373152001154&psc=1

815JoeCaHuL._SL1500_.jpg

Sjm9911 and Rey-Pop-UP like this.
  9. cyclop5

cyclop5 Member

we used to do the Folger's coffee-in-a-tea-bag things, but after we bought the HTT, we went with a french press. I still like boiling water and pouring it over grounds (as opposed to a keurig-like thing) when I go camping. My problem with a percolator is - I can never find all the parts when I need them, and I have no idea how to actually use one lol! (how long to percolate, etc)

Biggest complaint with the french press - cleaning. Second biggest complaint? *Almost* makes enough for both DW and I. Almost, but not quite.

Rey-Pop-UP likes this.
  10. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Rey-Pop-UP likes this.
  11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I just got a reguler drip coffee maker. I had an ellectric percolater but after camping and trying to conserver water a few times it was a pain in the you know what to clean out the coffee grounds. Plus they got all caught up in the waste tube under the pup. I do also have an old style espresso maker that i use over the stove for coffee if i dont have power.

Rey-Pop-UP likes this.
  12. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Not sure what’s going on here. I guess that’s what I get for looking at the portal on my phone...

13. Sjm9911

???

14. davekro

davekro Active Member

I just checked this MyJo manual K-Cup coffee maker. It looks awesome and has good reviews. And for only $14 and to use our existing K-Cups for a fast cup is a great solution. Now I just will place our old 'percolator pot' (sans brew basket) will be filled with water and placed on the burner the night before. Awake, light stove, water boils (w/o risk of boiling over ;) ), pour into MyJo K-Cup brewer, sweet. Thanks Theseus for the tip!

Rey-Pop-UP and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. David Blackwell

David Blackwell Member

Quality over quantity - Aeropress and Bonavita clever dripper. I freely admit I'm a coffee gourmet (i.e. snob). :)

Note - you may want to search the forum for previous coffee discussions.

Rey-Pop-UP likes this.
  16. Sjm9911

Unless you need the caffeine! Lol. I like quility but settle for just caffeine when camping.

Rey-Pop-UP likes this.
  17. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

As a tip for using it, pump slowly. You can push the water through too fast. Then you get weak coffee. My rule is to try to take as much time as my keurig.

Rey-Pop-UP likes this.
  18. davekro

davekro Active Member

The MyJo arrived today. There is no downside to pressing the pump v-e-r-y slowly as the amount of time the grounds are in contact with water* achieves the most extraction of flavor and strength, not to mention caffeine. ;)

Funny thing, as I am in the automated espresso coffee business, I resisted a Keurig in our house for a long time! Friends in the office supply business were getting into coffee and their deal w/ Kuerig was to buy 'x' brewers per month. They were stacking up in their warehouse. Unbeknownst to me, my wife accepted a free one... so we became Kuerig users from then on. LOL

*this is why espresso has less caffeine than drip brewed coffee... a lot more time in contact with the grounds than the 7-10 seconds for an espresso to be pressed.

Rey-Pop-UP likes this.
  19. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Where we camp there is a Dunkin Donuts about five miles away.

Rey-Pop-UP likes this.
  20. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

If I have electricity, I just pull my
    small Keurig knockoff I got from Walmart that I use when I camp. It has no water reservoir so I have to pour water each time I want a cup. It still uses the same k cups. If I am dry camping I use the myjoe which I can also use the k cups although coffee does not taste quite the same as the regular brewer. However still simple and everyone can get their own coffee. My problem is we all like a totally different coffee in my family so the k cups make the most sense.

Rey-Pop-UP likes this.