Coffee while Camping...

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by Rey-Pop-UP, Jan 31, 2020.

1. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

We have exactly this electric percolator in the PUP and it works well. We always camp with electric hook-up. I like that we can clean and dry all the pieces and leave it stored in the PUP. I wouldn't want a standard drip coffee pot because it would stay wet inside and I wouldn't want to pack that away in my PUP. We have the 12 cup and with three people drinking coffee, sometimes we do have to make a second pot.

kcsa75 likes this.
  2. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

We almost always camp with elec hookup available, so it's a small 10-cup Mr Coffee for us. That has a permanent spot in our pup.
    I'm not much of a coffee person ordinarily, but most camping mornings will start with coffee and a decent shot of Bailey's Irish Cream. Love that and watching the daylight arrive, knowing I've got a lazy day ahead of me. . . .

3. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

I have a similar french press and a few years ago, I bought a small hand grinder. I take fresh roast beans I keep sealed until I need them, then while water is boiling in the large perk pot I bought a long time ago, I sit and grind enough to make a 20oz mug worth. As to cleaning, I usually just pour a little water back in the french press, swirl it to get most of the grounds loose, then pour it next to a tree. Rest is easy to clean and the coffee is the best. But that is just for me.

If I have a group, I grind the whole bean coffee at the store prior to heading out. Then I'll throw a scoop into a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle cold water over the top of the pot, instant cowboy coffee that will make your toe hairs curl.

4. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Rey-Pop-UP and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. FiveInAFlagstaff

FiveInAFlagstaff Member

We’ve done them almost all, but I usually wake up last, (last to go to sleep,) so I can’t stand cold or burnt coffee, so we use the MyJo. Fresh cup every time, perfect strength. I also have the fillable cups, so I can bring special small batch roasts along. Our percolator has been relegated to tea kettle duty for heating water. Nothing like sipping fresh coffee in the morning at camp!

Rey-Pop-UP likes this.
  6. Rey-Pop-UP

Rey-Pop-UP Member

:laugh:[SCOTR]

7. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I rock ye' ole Mirro Drip Coffee setup. Classy stuff~!

upload_2020-2-5_11-30-19.png

zak99b5 and Rey-Pop-UP like this.
  8. cr500taco

cr500taco New Member

We use a stove top perculator, as well.

Rey-Pop-UP likes this.
  9. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Aeropress. Wife demands hot water, which she drinks plain (yes, plain hot water). Aeropress is natural.

Rey-Pop-UP likes this.
  10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Other cofee makers aren't natural?????[?:~{]

Rey-Pop-UP likes this.
  11. mmellillo

mmellillo New Member

We use a Nespresso unit, it is tiny, pods are expensive but what a delicious cup of coffee!

Rey-Pop-UP likes this.
  12. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Why? health reason?

13. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Supernatural!
    upload_2020-2-6_8-2-20.png

Sjm9911, Rey-Pop-UP and Econ like this.
  14. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

We use this coffee maker with the reusable cups. We have three people in the camper that drink coffee so we have multiple refillable cups. We grind up coffee beans and fill the cups night before. The first person up (usually me) puts their cup in and pushes brew and less than a minute later has coffee. I recommend being the first person up and enjoy outside with a medium blend cuban cigar.

upload_2020-2-6_9-11-49.png

Rey-Pop-UP likes this.
  15. Manutara

Manutara New Member

Having electrical appliances is nice, but there are times that simpler is better (and more reliable), I always use a Bialetti moka coffe maker, it has never failed me when camping or at home:
    https://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-06800-stove-coffee-Aluminum/dp/B000CNY6UK

What I like is that it's really close to an espresso maker, there are multiple choices in capacity too. I brew my coffee every morning in less than five minutes.

Rey-Pop-UP likes this.
  16. penny

penny Well-Known Member

I love this thread. we just got back from 12 days out. several spots, some electric, most not. we have 2 batteries and a solar panel for power, so limited to 12 v. well, we have a small inverter, but not enough to make coffee with. If we are going somewhere we know we will have power and being staying in one spot, I take my little nespresso machine, but as a treat. the capsules are just ridiculous in price. I spent 13 years as an indie coffee shop owner/roaster and have a ridiculous amount of coffee gadgets. All the big stuff was sold with the business, but I still a few small things at home. for camping I have a small hand grinder, the percolator, a my joe and the aero press.

on this trip, I used my stovetop percolator for several days. I tried to love it, I really did, but the perked coffee just comes short of my taste. I finally gave up and went back to the aero press. 2.5 Tbs of fresh ground coffee, and water just off the boil. let it bloom for a half a minute, add the rest of the water and press. now THATS a cup of coffee! clean up is so easy, just press grounds into the trash. If I had a bunch of coffee drinkers, I'd use the percolator though, or the french press.

Rey-Pop-UP likes this.
  17. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Just to round this out....

I don't partake, but my wife is a Ice Coffee addict.

We use a double wall vacuum insulated water bottle, and fill it with ice. That goes into the cooler.
    We pack Milk, chocolate syrup, and whipped cream.
    We brew the coffee into a second double wall vacuum insulated water bottle the day we leave, and leave it in the fridge for a few hours (with the lid off) to cool it. It then goes into the cooler.

She has enough to make 3 servings, the ice in the water bottle lasts for 4 days, (But we usually only have enough coffee for Day 3)

Rey-Pop-UP likes this.