cold beds

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by mltlmt, Oct 17, 2011.

1. mltlmt

mltlmt New Member

heading out in a few weeks and was wondering what to do to keep my bed warm. [:!] Not sure what I can put underneath the mattress. I don't think it would be safe to sleep on an elec. blanket. Anyone out there have any cheap suggestions. I hope I can get a few [SNZ].

2. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Sleep on the bed that is on the furnace side!! I did that and closed the other bunk's curtains to keep the heat in the main area and MY bunk.

I've just ordered a little electric ceramic heater for the camper! Out of season, I'll use it in my bird room. I also open my sleeping bag and use that as the bottom layer, few lights blankies on top and toasty warmness! The heater will blow towards the floor and that heat will rise and get into your bunk area!

Save your pennies and buy heated mattresses!! Happy Camping!

[:D]

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Pop-up gizmos help the drafty feeling in the bunk end. A bunk end skirt (I made our own) can reduce air movement under the bunk, which can help reduce the cooing effect that has.
    We used an electric mattress pad in our pup; having the warmth underneath us, with good insulation on the top (like a sleeping bag, we have a down one that can be used as a comforter) was good. In the past, we have used an electric blanket, pre-warming the bed is a good idea.

With electric hook-up, we were OK in the upper-teens using the mattress pad, an electric heater (our old pup has no furnace) and good bedding (including some polarfleece I could pull around my head and neck, I don't have much luck sleeping in a cap). I would prefer not to camp quite that cold, but it is possible.

Sleeping in long underwear, wool socks and head and hand covers is a great help.

4. RAGAR Family

RAGAR Family Member

We just went through this last weekend, I now understand the importance of the electric heater, I think that you would be fine with electric blankets the new ones are very safe.

We had the kids in the bunk closest to the furnace and I slept furthest away from it, I was chilled. The night time temp dropped to 48* on the second night we used a portable electric heater and it made all the difference. We all slept toasty warm all night long.

We also rolled up a blanket and made a cold air dam around the edge of the mattress.

5. dav1966

dav1966 New Member

Me and DW enjoy crawling into cooler bed snuggling up. after ur under covers body heat warms it up pretty good we lay a sleeping bag open on mattress and use another open sleeping bag to cover up, good sleeping bags seen to work,but when temps are in the 20's we close up the sleeping bags and each is on ther own plus the heater on also helps in both senerios

6. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

we have dual control electric mattress pad heaters and love it keeps us warm they have a timer that cut off after so much time. we been in temps well in the low teens and stayed very comfortable with it

7. Yar

Yar Garland, TX

We have been using the gizmos and reflectix under the mattresses. This seems to help quite a bit. Going to try the bunk end skirts along with this other stuff next. We have an electric heater/AC that came with the pup.

8. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Lowe's Bldg Supply sells a product called blue board ... comes in 4' X 8' sheets, maybe 3/8" thick - it has a waxy coating to it and a pretty decent R value as I recall. Will do you a under the mattress super job!

9. fiveonomo

fiveonomo New Member

We just went this passed weekend and it was about 40 degrees. We used an electric blanket and it worked like a charm, we turned it on about an hour before we laid down and then when we got in bed we knocked it back to midway. I think that the newer electric blankets are very safe, I use one at home all the time. I am also a career Firefighter and I trust this product in my home and my camper. I am gonna try a small electric heater next time to knock the chill off in the camper. Good luck whichever way you go.
    Scott

10. riverwalker

riverwalker Member

The stuff you lay under a floating floor works great , its thin enough to stay put and seems to generate its own heat when you sit or kneel on it. Noticed how it well it worked while laying some flooring down on cement basement floor last year.

11. rambus

rambus Member

I put a piece of thick carpet padding under the mattress for extra insulation and padding. You can also put a blanket or two under you for added warmth.

12. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member Gold Supporting Member

No one has mentioned the cheapest solution yet.....

Hot water bottles !

I feel the cold alot so use them all the time, even during summer campouts!

13. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Reflectix does nothing when sandwiched in between two surfaces like that. It is a thermal reflector and needs exposure to airspace on at least one side to work. (That's why it works so well as a window insert.) Rigid insulation board 1/2", 3/4" or even 1" if it will fit (4x8 sheets trimmed to bunk size) has much more R value and will be far more effective as an under-mattress insulator.

14. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

I put some 1/2 foam under my mattresses a couple of weeks ago. I haven't tested them out yet but like UT said, Reflectix won't work under the bunks. Reflectix needs air flow around 1 side of it to insulate it (I don't know why, I am not an engineer but people here, Lowes, and on the Reflectix packaging say it.

Someone mentioned closing off the curtains. I have put up a moving blanket to block off one bunk. When I camp this January if it gets really cold I may try "turtling" in a popup.....close off both bunks with a moving blanket and sleep on the dinnette.

[​IMG]

15. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We had to give up our heated mattress when we got our coil spring air mattress. DW brought along one of those heated throws we have at home and put it on top of the comforter and it worked like a charm. Warmed up the bed nicely.

16. NetDad

NetDad New Member

I have air mattresses on both beds with nice pillow top mattress pads. We all sleep in our own sleeping bags. We have furnace in PUP and it keeps the one end toasty. To keep the whole PUP warm we put a little DC fan above the furnace blow out area, and have the fan shoot warm air towards the far bunk. This keeps everyone warm. When in SD Black Hills earlier this year, it got into the 20's for a couple nights with a LOT of wind. Everyone was warm.

17. Barbfdny

Barbfdny Barb, Lee, Kate, Richie, A.J. and Sasha

we purchased moving blankets for about 7.00 each at Harbor freight. We put one under each mattress. It was a huge improvement. We have a memory foam mattress on our bed, a fitted sheet. We use a down comforter, and a normal blanket and sheet. We turn on a small oscillating electric heater and we are toasty. If it gets below 40 we turn on the furnace and run it at around 65. Good luck.

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Also, look through the cold weather area, lots of suggestions for keeping warm in general - http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=104.0

Keeping the pup warmer in general seems to make sleeping better, such as throw rugs that help insulate the floor.

You do need to remember not to close things up so tightly that condensation is increased. It is especially common to have condensation in the bunk end, where people are exhaling just under the cool roof. That's another reason the PUGs or something similar are helpful in keeping the bunk feeling warmer, they add a layer of air insulation between the warmer interior and cold outside air.

19. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Yes, no matter how cold it is outside you still need to leave two windows open at least a little bit for condensation to vent.

20. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Two words.......

Sleeping Bag. We use them year around, but there's nothing better in cold temps.

A couple weekends ago at the Grand Canyon, we used our p'up heater for the first time....we killed our battery after the first night it was so cold; had we not been using sleeping bags, we would have had to pack up and hit the road. As it was, we were snug as a bug in our sleeping bags with or without the heater.

Our standard bags are oversized Coleman bags we picked up a few years back at Costco for around $30. Without the removable fleece lining they're good to 20*....with the lining, they're good to 15*. They are oversized, so we don't have that cramped feeling you get with many sleeping bags.

We also have winter bags that are good to 0* but we rarely use them because they are the mummy type.