cold weather -10F

Discussion in 'Cold Weather Camping' started by Wyjeeper, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Wyjeeper

Wyjeeper New Member

So i'm headed out this weekend for a week long elk hunting trip, anybody had a new pup out in -temps? I'm used to tent camping with temps around-20f, but hoping the new pup will make life a bit better. Plan is to set the heater to around 55 and sleep in one of my 0 plus bags.Anybody out there go out in such cold temps?

2. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

0 deg bag...Absolutely Required

I've camped in the real cold from time to time. It's PUP do-able. There have been a few discussions on this very subject recently. Try using the search feature on here to find the cold weather, or winter camping threads. For what I know, here goes:

--Reflectix, or the like in the windows and under the bunk end cushions Some people use foam board insulation Instead.
    --Pop Up Gizmos, (PUGS) or similar over the top of the bunks. Could do the same with a tarp.
    --At below 0, keeping water un-thawed may be a challenge. I'd forgo the plumbing in favor of a jug. If your heater is forced air, the battery capacity and power mgt is going to be really important. Some real aficionados of winter camping go with a radiant heater, like a Buddy or Wave, that has no fan to draw power once the forced air has things to temperature. Obviously propane capacity is something to consider. I'm assuming as this is a hunting trip you are looking at boondocking/dry camping.

For some reference, my Son and I just finished deer season. 6 nights in my PUP. Lowest temps around 20deg. Heater on low, (40+/-) nighttime only. No Reflectix or tarping the bunks. Sleeping in my 20deg bag was warm, and my Son in his 0deg expedition bag was zipping it open during the night. I used a little less than 1 20lb propane tank. Water was fine.

Good luck, both camping and hunting.

3. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I am curious, where are you going camping this weekend and the temp is going to be below zero Fahrenheit.

4. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

Have used our pup a few times in 5* weather but have always had power. If your camping without power a buddy heater will be about the only option I can think of to keep heat inside the pup. The furnace won't last long on battery as the fan will draw it down fast. The other caution is the plastic windows, use caution when closing, though not brittle they are stiff and harder to manage when closing.

With power you have a few options, electric blanket, baseboard or radiant heaters, and insulation as mentioned above. With this you can keep the inside of the pup pretty warm.

We maintained 62* inside (measured on the table and not the bed ends) while 5* outside using the furnace and two electric heaters.

5. Wyjeeper

Wyjeeper New Member

1380ken, I will be in the mountains of western WY, So -20 isnt to bad for us. I have a genny to charge the battery's in the evening's, but prefer not to run it all night. with any luck the temps don't drop to where i think they will. Hopefully the battery's will last through the night with furnace, and maybe heated mattress going. If they don't i'm used to tent camping, so i'm prepped for super cold with no heat.

6. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Hopefully your pup is winterized and your batteries are stored inside. Otherwise - if temps are actually that low - be prepared for frozen/burst waterlines and batteries that die in the middle of the night.

I know what actual -20F feels like and I would not want to be in canvas! I suspect that heated mattress and propane furnace are going to suck the life out of those cold batteries very quickly.

I have no problem in the 20's (not negative 20's) in my Aliner with an electric hookup, but I hard hard sides and power. Not sure I'd want to try negative 20's.

I did a hunting trip in a winterized canvas pup many years ago when it got into the teens and it was cold. ;) You're a braver soul than I. ;)

If you're boondocking with no one else to bother (and at -20F I can't imagine there would be too many other campers to bother!), I'd definitely run a quiet generator all night! ;)

Good luck!