cold weather camping

Discussion in 'Cold Weather Camping' started by fyrftr422, Oct 8, 2017.

1. fyrftr422

fyrftr422 New Member

Due to a variety of circumstances, we were unable to get out this summer or fall but we're possibly considering camping in the late Oct/early Nov if we can get horse and dog sitters. We have an older 2000 Jayco Eagle trailer and I'm just concerned about putting up and down a cold trailer. Primarily, do the 'window' and other items have durability in cold weather or due to age, might they be prone to cracking, splitting? We have camped late into October but the weather was still quite fair those times and the tent sides were stiff, as expected, but there were no issues. Am i worrying about nothing, are older tent trailers more durable that I giving it credit for?

Jorja likes this.
  2. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

GREAT QUESTION! I'm still wondering how far to 'push' it.
    --Several years ago I was camping 'somewhere' in Nantahala National Forest in North Carolina. It was late October. Weather was great until it wasn't. A snow storm struck.
    --At the time I had a 2005 Coleman Yuma. My main concern was the snow building up on the roof of my popup. Several wet inches of snow accumulated that night prompting panic! I packed everything up in the dark. Yes, it was harder to fold the canvasses in, but the colder I got the less 'caution' seemed to matter. Two days later (yep, I slept at a Rest Area) I arrived at home and found no negative affects. I was ill prepared for the situation and I'm wondering if any other campers had some sage advice to offer.
    --I will say that the support rails for the beds and the roof were significantly more stout on the Yuma than on my present JayCo 8SD.
    --Anyone else out there with cold camper advice?

3. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

The windows in my 1973 Montgomery Ward had no problems in the teens.

Just go slow and let them easy into it.

JPBar likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

It is also easier to fold the canvas up if you can run a heater a bit before collapsing. On my old '90 Jayco I had no problems packing up cold (outside temps was about 32), but did have a space heater going which made it more pliable.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We camped in both popups into the teens. IIRC, the replacement (fabric backed vinyl) tenting we bought for the first one had a low temperature limit of something like -10*F. The condition of the window vinyl and tenting may have an effect on how it reacts to extreme cold.
    Folding up in those cold conditions took a bit more patience, for the canvas and vinyl windows to relax into the folds needed to close up, and for the memory foam mattress topper to compress. Keeping the furnace or a heater on a long as possible is a good idea, but in extreme conditions, the tenting chills quickly. On one cold trip with the first pup, we were closing it up in the 20s and kept the space heater on as long as we could. There was still a noticeable difference in how well the tenting was folding from the side in the sun to the shadowed side of the camper.
    Since condensation is often more likely when camping under cold and/or wet conditions, make sure that the canvas is dry, or that you can open it at home after the trip.
    More cold weather camping ideas here: http://www.popupportal.com/forums/cold-weather-camping.104/

6. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

We have camped in January with our Jayco pup. Good sleeping bags and with temps in the teens we were able to keep the pup at about 65 degrees. A 20lb propane tank feed the furnace for about two days. We did have electric hookup but did not use it for heating. Ours is a 2001 and we just took it slow and easy with the windows and canvas when folding it up.

7. ChrisSandstorm

ChrisSandstorm New Member

Been wondering also, do they make a winter camping cover for sides?

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Which sides?
    Popup Gizmos helped a lot in any weather, hot or cold, for the tops of the bunk ends. (I would not camp in a popup in the places we go, at any time of year, without them.) They also have made a bunk end liner, used inside, out of the same material, we used those on a couple of trips.
    For many cool weather trips, we used fleece clipped up around the edge of the bunks, as well as along the inside wall of the pup, where the insulated curtains didn't cover it. That way, we could take the fleece down during the day - we often have a large enough temperature swing that we want the windows open during the day and more insulation at night. For the same reason, we never made the Reflectix window inserts many do, which help in just the windows. (the fleece folds up easier too)
    The fleece was nice with our Sunbrella tenting, in that both the fleece and Sunbrella are pretty breathable, so condensation was less likely. We still tended to keep an opening or two somewhere.