Cold weather camping

Discussion in 'Cold Weather Camping' started by WingmanHG, Nov 18, 2019.

1. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

So I’m headed to Flagstaff this week end and it’ll be chilly like 18F. We’ve done 30 but not the teens. I’ve swapped out my heater buddy for a big buddy. Got reflectix for all the windows, on the ends anyway, my Cape Cod has hard sides. As well as reflectix under the 2 mattresses. Any other tips?

And my water tank is inside so no freezing but what do you guys do for the ones hung under the trailer?

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

You should be fine but remember to keep the camper well ventilated.

3. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

Thats the plan + the CO detector

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

If you are not using the other bunk end, bring an extra blanket to block it off.

PopUpSteve likes this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

If it's windy and your door has gaps you might want to clip a blanket over the door to minimize the cold drafts from getting in. Popup gizmos or a tarp over the bunkend to help put another layer between you and the cold. Use a warm sleeping bag at night. The hardest for me is wanting to get out of the warm bed into the freezing cold. Even more needing to wear a coat even inside

PopUpSteve likes this.
  6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Also be aware that the Mr. Buddy Heater will create a considerable amount of condensation inside the pup as you burn fuel. Electric heaters and the pup's furnace do not do this.

WingmanHG and PopUpSteve like this.
  7. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

So the trip was a success we were toasty warm and it was 14 degrees outside. Very minimal condensation prob cuz the wife was paranoid wed die of CO poisoning even with the low O2 shutoff and the CO detector. So we left the door window cracked open a bit.

However, on the way our whole hub assembly came apart. Luckily someone flaged me down before it completly came off....... 5 hrs later with a lighter wallet we were back on our way 20191123_084329.jpg 20191122_165930.jpg 20191122_162137.jpg FB_IMG_1575658075163.jpg

8. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

Glad you were toasty warm the the Big Buddy heater.
    Did you have a hose connection to your propane tank, or did you use a couple portable propane tanks?

How did your whee's hub assembly come off? Was it not tightened properly the last time it was greased? Maybe there's something to learn here.

9. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

I used a long hose to the 20Lb tank witch I threaded through side of PUP back to the rear of the trailer where the tanks are located.

The outer bearing came apart and since that’s essencial to holding the drum on it started to work it’s way loose. The axel was factory new in 2017. It’s got a few thousand miles on it. The repair guys weren’t sure why it came apart.

10. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

I find my portable buddy doesn't burn very clean and smells dirty. I've tried blowing out the line and cleaning with a Q-Tip and alcohol but it still burns nasty. Ever have any experience with this?

Glad you had a good trip, I usually use a 12V heated blanket like the car cozy thats on a timer. Just perfect for cold nights and then you can turn a heater on in the morning!

11. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

It does have a smell to it when it first starts up then either I get used to it or it goes away after a while.

12. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

Americans seem to be paranoid about CO - in my youth our house used coal gas (H2 + CO mix; known as "water gas") burnt in room ceramic heaters. No one died from doing so.