Cold weather camping

Discussion in 'Cold Weather Camping' started by WingmanHG, Nov 18, 2019.

1. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

So I’m headed to Flagstaff this week end and it’ll be chilly like 18F. We’ve done 30 but not the teens. I’ve swapped out my heater buddy for a big buddy. Got reflectix for all the windows, on the ends anyway, my Cape Cod has hard sides. As well as reflectix under the 2 mattresses. Any other tips?

And my water tank is inside so no freezing but what do you guys do for the ones hung under the trailer?

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

You should be fine but remember to keep the camper well ventilated.

3. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

Thats the plan + the CO detector

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

If you are not using the other bunk end, bring an extra blanket to block it off.

PopUpSteve likes this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

If it's windy and your door has gaps you might want to clip a blanket over the door to minimize the cold drafts from getting in. Popup gizmos or a tarp over the bunkend to help put another layer between you and the cold. Use a warm sleeping bag at night. The hardest for me is wanting to get out of the warm bed into the freezing cold. Even more needing to wear a coat even inside

PopUpSteve likes this.
  6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Also be aware that the Mr. Buddy Heater will create a considerable amount of condensation inside the pup as you burn fuel. Electric heaters and the pup's furnace do not do this.

WingmanHG and PopUpSteve like this.
  7. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

So the trip was a success we were toasty warm and it was 14 degrees outside. Very minimal condensation prob cuz the wife was paranoid wed die of CO poisoning even with the low O2 shutoff and the CO detector. So we left the door window cracked open a bit.

However, on the way our whole hub assembly came apart. Luckily someone flaged me down before it completly came off....... 5 hrs later with a lighter wallet we were back on our way 20191123_084329.jpg 20191122_165930.jpg 20191122_162137.jpg FB_IMG_1575658075163.jpg

8. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

Glad you were toasty warm the the Big Buddy heater.
    Did you have a hose connection to your propane tank, or did you use a couple portable propane tanks?

How did your whee's hub assembly come off? Was it not tightened properly the last time it was greased? Maybe there's something to learn here.

9. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

I used a long hose to the 20Lb tank witch I threaded through side of PUP back to the rear of the trailer where the tanks are located.

The outer bearing came apart and since that’s essencial to holding the drum on it started to work it’s way loose. The axel was factory new in 2017. It’s got a few thousand miles on it. The repair guys weren’t sure why it came apart.

10. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

I find my portable buddy doesn't burn very clean and smells dirty. I've tried blowing out the line and cleaning with a Q-Tip and alcohol but it still burns nasty. Ever have any experience with this?

Glad you had a good trip, I usually use a 12V heated blanket like the car cozy thats on a timer. Just perfect for cold nights and then you can turn a heater on in the morning!

11. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

It does have a smell to it when it first starts up then either I get used to it or it goes away after a while.

12. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

Americans seem to be paranoid about CO - in my youth our house used coal gas (H2 + CO mix; known as "water gas") burnt in room ceramic heaters. No one died from doing so.

13. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Coldest we've camped so far is 34°F (1°C). Even without Reflectix, a Little Buddy heater kept the inside temps at 55°F (12°C). First thing to do in the morning is put a water kettle on the stove; that gets things warmed up enough for the rest of the family while you get that first cup of coffee going. There's just something about French Press coffee that makes a camping trip special.

I'm hoping to see how well Reflectix traps heat in the month/weeks ahead.

neighbormike likes this.
  14. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We love cold camping here on the East side of the US....

Cold is Cold no matter where you might back into haha...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image up on Skyline Drive...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Most of my camping is off the batteries OFF-ROAD so making coffee for me is done usually in the morning while I am running my generator recharging my battery bank...

I like the Cuisinart DBG650BC Bean coffee grind and brew setup that is only ON for about fives to brew up some coffee and then shuts completely down with the hot coffee stored in a thermos carafe...

My backup coffee maker is the standard ole Coleman Stove Top and I grind up my coffee from a 12VDC Coffee grinder...

We always bring along our favorite bottled water to insure we get the same bean coffee taste no mater where we are...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

CathyJ and neighbormike like this.
  15. Econ

Econ Active Member

This is the United States. We are conditioned to give advise based on the litigious society we live in.

16. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Where did you camp around Flagstaff… We lived in Tempe back in the 60s and 70s and our work brought back to the area a lot working for the Navy Space Surveillance System with a site just north of Maricopa...

We liked to Camp away from the Railroad at Flag as a train would come thru every five minutes during the night haha... The Wupatki Indian loop NW of Flag was a nice place... Sunset Crater also... Used to run up and down the Apache trail a lot with my Jeep puling a utility trailer with my tent camping supplies... Tent camping in the high country around SEDONA was neat too seeing the sun rays in the RED ROCKS....

Loved my AZ days...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

17. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Not really paranoia, like 300 people die annually from co in the us . More get sick. Other countries that are modernized have simmiler numbers. Others that are not are higher. Nice that you haven't experienced it. And it effects kids faster. Its not common, but common enough it can be avoided.

kcsa75, neighbormike and DiamondGirl like this.
  18. Kyle R Thorson

Kyle R Thorson New Member

Sadly if you haven't been in a while a lot has changed. I have lived in Arizona, mostly the Metro PHX area, since 79 and it is urban sprawl at it's finest. Even Flagstaff and Sedona have changed considerably since I went to college in Flag, in the mid-'90s. I find myself gravitating towards the Prescott area and the Mogollon rim now. Even those areas have changed with the amount of both growth and usage those areas have seen. It wouldn't be too much of a problem if people would just leave places nicer than when they found them. Still, lots of places to explore and I am amazed even to this day sometimes when I stumble upon places that I have not been to in the state.

19. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

Sorry I just saw your question. This was just the KOA we went up to take the kids to the North Pole experience. But we did oak creek canyon, and knoll lake (more towards snowflake) we also did Prescott, lake Roosevelt and picatcho peak X2 last year.

the biggest problem I have is not being able to boondock, no toilet or shower, a lot of our campistes are full way in advance or FCFS. So if you go somewhere like I’d love to do Mingus Mountain and it’s FCFS is full you could just pull into the forest a few miles away but with no shower or toilet that’s a no go with the wife. So until I get that situation resolved (very soon... like in April) I always have to have reservations which can be tough[/QUOTE]

20. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

we should do an AZ rally