Cold weather camping

Discussion in 'Cold Weather Camping' started by WingmanHG, Nov 18, 2019.

1. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

CO almost nailed two of my cousins, back in the 70s. Remember those station wagons that had rear-facing seats, and you could roll down the back window? If you didn't have one or two windows opened up front, they had a tendency to allow exhaust fumes to waft in. By the time my aunt and uncle realized what was happening, the older one was fading and the younger was unconscious.

2. CathyJ

CathyJ Member

Skyline Drive? That's in my neck of the woods. Which campground do you like best? We like Mathew's Arm, but it's open for such a very short season.

3. CathyJ

CathyJ Member

We were in Mesa/Tempe in the early 80s and we loved camping on the Mogollon Rim! I still miss it.

4. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We always go to LOFT MTN... Has a nice restaurant down on the main road...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

CathyJ likes this.
  5. CathyJ

CathyJ Member

We haven't been that far yet, but I've heard it's nice. We've stayed at Matthew's Arm and Big Meadows.

6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We are also Tent campers and love to camp at Sherando Lake Recreation Area Exit 96 off of I64 crossing the mountains... They have a bunch of camp sites totally surrounded with rock boulders… Also can get up on the Blue Ridge Parkway short drive up a steep winding road haha...

Roy Ken

7. CathyJ

CathyJ Member

I've been wanting to try that place for decades! I've always been nervous about trying because we're a good 2.5 hours away and there's no guarantee we'll get a good campsite (or any campsite at all because they don't take reservations, do they?). Which campsites are your favorites?

8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We did the get up on the blue ridge from Sherando. It's steep, got up early in the morning planning to drive into NC, pulling a popup. Dew on the road, getting up to the blue ridge. It's a steep climb, I'm thinking a good 10%, but the last 200 yards it gets much steeper maybe 14-16%. Oh-boy, I started to sweat. Will the tires hold traction on the dew wet road?? We made it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    roybraddy and CathyJ like this.
  9. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

[/QUOTE]
    We use the ozark trail 2 room instant up shower tent. Works great, 1 gal bag and my husband and I can both shower with a little extra.

We also have a camco toilet inside the camper (also removed it to the 2 room tent as well). Makes my husband happy to get a shower.

10. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

i take a spare gas heater!