Cold Weather Matteress Insulation...Ideas?

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Electric Cowboy, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Electric Cowboy

Electric Cowboy New Member

On my last trip it go down in the low 30's, I had to put a Thermarest under my Mattress to sleep warm.
    Problem was,I tended to roll off in the night. Looking for something that I can cover the whole Mattress with.
    Ideas?

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Duct tape Thermarests together.

3. mdigby

mdigby New Member

We made "zip in" reflectix covers for the pup windows. You could also cover the bunk bottom (or top of the mattresses) with the same material.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Several people have reported success with using the blue or pink foam insulation boards from the big box home improvement stores, under the mattress.
    In our first pup, one thing that helped a lot in cold weather was t put a skirt around the bunk end, so the cold air wasn't blowing under it.

We also used outside PUGs with both pups, and inner ones in the more recent one. I've also clipped up pieces of fleece around the sides of the bunk end, which helped a lot.
    Reflectix work in windows, etc., but the general recommendation seems to be not to use it under a mattress, due to the type of insulator it is and the possibility of condensation with it in that location.

Other ideas and reports here:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=104.0

5. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Do not put Reflectix between your mattress and the wood of the bunk. It can and in most cases cause moisture build up in your mattress and can and in most cases will then lead to deadly mold in your mattress

6. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

We use two of the 2" styrofoam reflectix-lined 4' by 8' sheets from Lowe's trimmed to fit and taped together under the mattress on our King bunk end. The reflectix side faces up, against the bottom of our mattress (which is a naugahyde upholstery material). So far no issues at all with moisture. Makes all the difference!

7. Electric Cowboy

Does the added thickness cause any problems dropping the top?

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@Electric Cowboy
    Problems with added thickness will depend on how much space you have t work with. With our first pup, after we got replacement cushions, we could only add a 1" memory foam topper. In our Coleman Cobalt, we could use a 2"memory foam topper - but that includes having it compact a bit as the roof closes. for something like the foam insulation, I bet we'd be limited to 1".
    Do a search for Kleenex or tissue box test.

9. Electric Cowboy

Roger That.
    Searching..............

10. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

No problems closing the top as long as we don't leave the egg crate foam or the bedding on. When we close up we relocate the egg crate foam pieces: one to the rear bunk and the other piece to the folded down dinette. The bedding is packed away in a large duffle bag that fits under the dinette table.

11. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

The air space that Thermarest provides is the best insulation from the cold. I place mine perpendicular to my sleeping angle and have absolutely no problem. I cover my entire mattress area with the self inflating pads. Three perpendicular to your sleep angle is the answer to not slipping off. My bunk ends are 77X70 I think. I use two large pads 25x something and a small 21X something. It works out perfectly. No slipping falling off.

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Happy Campin'[/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]

12. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I found a very cool mattress warmer on Craigslist for $10. It was brand new. About an hour before bed, I turn it on HIGH and by the time I'm ready to fall out, I turn it down to about 5 for the night. Makes it SO hard to get out of bed in the mornings! [A] [LOL] [LOL]

I like to spread out my sleeping bag as a bottom layer, then the mattress warmer, then my blankies.

You might find one on eBay as well!

Good luck!

[:D]

13. cssweeney

cssweeney Member

I store my reflectix under the mattress when it is closed, that is what I was informed to do. I have not had any mold issues with this, Am I wrong?

14. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Not really a problem when unoccupied. Heat and moisture is a byproduct of a healthy live person. As such, we try and keep the heat and don't really think of the moisture. Our body is comprised of like 80% water. Part of the insulation process is maintaining the heat and getting rid of the moisture. Hence the invention of high tech wicking materials for clothing. The engineered product used to make the bunk ends transfers the moisture outside beneath the pup as you sleep. That is what it is designed to do. If you stop that process, excess moisture builds up and has no place to go because the Reflectix stops that moisture transfer. If keep there for prolonged periods, it will eventually rot the engineered wood product. It doesn't happen over night but since it is kept there all the time, it will hold moisture and eventually cause problems. This is the other reason I use the self inflating pads. Moisture continues to pass.

15. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

We went to the resale shop and found some electric mattress pad heaters. Got them at about $5 a piece. We purchased the king size cause the heating element is only in the middle area. We carfully cut all the additional material out, and slip them under the mattress. It provides a cozy matress as aposed to laying directly on the heating elements.

16. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

Interesting, as I have been using reflectix to reduce the moisture. You're right, need to check for moisture underneath and take care of it, before it develops into a problem.

With our old stock mattress, the bottom was cloth, and I litterally had to use a vortex fan to dry the bottom at the end of each trip. Put in the reflectix and the moisture (condensation) greatly reduced, and just needed a towel to wipe off the damp each time.

Never had this problem with the old popup (in a hybrid now), which had very firm, dense foam mattresses and a simple plywood sheet. Believe it's either the terrible mattress in the hybrid (thin and weak foam), or the laminate bunk end door/panel.

Not a problem now, as we ditched the old mattress and use an air mattress with memory foam topper. But still have the reflectix there to mitigate the condesation.

17. Jay R

Jay R New Member

Cabelas Alaskan guide series self inflatable sleeping pads under the mattress. The two larges fit perfect under our bed.
    They make a huge difference and I can leave our entire bedding and some extra stuff on there once I let the air out.