coldest temp to open the pup

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by Fred1diver, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

hey everyone, got the itch to open may pup to get her ready for the season, what are the coldest recommended temps to open them up, in other words, how cold is to cold for a pup, I just don't want to break anything

2. arge

arge Member

>32f should be very safe, but I guess something in low tens should be ok too.
    The windows are prone to breakage in negative temperatures (Fahrenheit)

3. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Just to be cautious, I wait for 40+F.

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I've heard rumors that you could crack the plastic windows if you open or close the pup if it is too cold, but I have never actually seen a post from someone that it actually happened to.

5. Jwwiff

Jwwiff New Member

Took my Bayside out of hibernation last weekend and have been working on it this week. We put it down tonight - around 40F - worked on getting the top down all the way as the canvas was more stiff than when it was warmer. No issues with the windows. I’m on the SW side of the twin cities so not all that far from you .

6. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

I've put a ceramic heater inside the closed camper for a couple of hours to warm the inside before opening and closing

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher Active Member

I didnt realize there was a temperature worry... I went camping with my popup in 23 degree weather with no ill effect..

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

IIRC, the suggested limit for the replacement vinyl canvas on our first pup was somewhere around 0*F. We had it camping with lows in the teens, folding it down when it was still in the 20s. It took a bit of patience, since it wasn't the most malleable at that temp, and sunshine on the canvas helped.
    I don't remember a stated low for the second one, which had Sunbrella canvas, but still had vinyl windows. We also had that one out in the teens, but at least the canvas portion folded easier when cold than the first pup.

9. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

Owners manual for my 2015 Flagstaff says the plastic windows have a -20F cold crack with a minimum recommended temperature of 0F.

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

The problem is as the material ages it gets brittler. So recommendations are good, but just that recommendations. It also heats up in the sun and becomes softer and can stretch more. ( when i did awnings, we put up the patios in the afternoon, more sun, and you had to let the fabric heat up before doing a final stretch and tie down) The biggest concerns would be that it can catch and crack more easily in extream cold the older it gets.

11. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Today I popped mine up, 47 degrees and cloudy. No issues!

12. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

ok cool, that means I can open mine on saturday, it's supposed to go up to 11°c, almost 52°f, can't wait to get her ready for the season

kitphantom likes this.
  13. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Mine did in 27 degrees. damaged some of the vinyl rubber in some places.

14. Halford

Any temp above 40 would be best. Depending on the new technology, some could be opened below freezing point but up to a certain degree.

15. BikeNFish

So, there ya go! The answer to the question, "Can you damage your pup if you open it when it's cold?", is "Yes!"

I would also think that it is harder on the lift system when the grease and oil and the lift system in general gets stiffer in cold weather. I know that when riding my bike, the bike itself feels a lot different, a lot stiffer, when the temperature drops below 50*F. The same has to be true with a pup.

bols2Dawall likes this.
  16. Halford

Not necessarily damage popup, just the fabric without the new technology. It may be harder to lift the roof but not necessarily damaging it.

17. BikeNFish

I agree with your statement. However, "You can" does not mean "you will".

There are many variables that go into damaging a pup in cold weather. Example - My indoor stored 2014 pup will have a different reaction in the cold than a 1995 Viking that has been left outside for 24 years. I would trust opening by pup at 30 degrees F before I trust a weathered Viking at 30 degrees F.