Coleman 2003 Carmel Roof Issue

Michael Maass

Aug 13, 2018
Keizer, Oregon
Hello, I recently purchased a Colman built 2003 Carmel. I knew it had an issue with a leaking roof. I made the mistake to use Gorilla Glue tape to seal the interior so we would not get wet during use. During our first trip, it rained and then the roof filled with water and rotted more of the materials. So, I removed the roof in order to attempt to repair it. I was told by a friend to remove the black rails that are on the top and in order to clean the material and then put it back together. This was a BIG mistake as they covered three sections of roofing material. Now the roof as really fallen apart. Should I attempt to repair this on my own, take it to an RV service shop to rebuild it, or should I look for a new style of roof to replace it with? I live in the Salem, Oregon area and if anyone lives near me and is willing to help, that would be great, otherwise, I am looking for suggestions and pointers. This project at this point with my limited knowledge base is beyond me. BUT, I do want to keep the trailer if the roof can be rebuilt as it is actually perfect for our needs for use.

mstrbill

Mar 17, 2013
Austin , Texas
Last edited:

Michael Maass

Aug 13, 2018
Keizer, Oregon
Not if he has roof fails, probably replaced with an early Alumitite roof. The cost to fix that much damage certainly will be more then you are willing to spent.

maybe you can get dimensions for this roof and compare it to your current roof: https://colemanpopupparts.com/collections/roof-assembly/products/roof-12-foot-2

Thank you for the link. I have already contacted that company and they told me that those tops will not fit on my trailer. I am beginning to think that I just need to completely disassemble the entire top and start from scratch.

Michael Maass

Aug 13, 2018
Keizer, Oregon
Hello again. I finished the "rebuild" of the roof, but, after putting it back onto the trailer, while I was reattaching the curtains, the roof brace popped off and nearly hit me. Is there some trick to installing the roof brace so it stays in place? What does this roof brace really do and is it needed if I do not have an air conditioner or anything else on the roof?

Michael Maass

Aug 13, 2018
Keizer, Oregon
My brace bolts into aluminum bars that run the length of the trailer roof, but not all the way through the roof. Here are three photos that show at least a part of it prior to its removal and rebuilding of the roof. 20180730_172050.jpg 20180730_172053.jpg 20180730_172059.jpg

Michael Maass

Aug 13, 2018
Keizer, Oregon
Well, it was not pretty, but I found a way to get the roof brace installed. It does not look pretty, but the brace is flush with the ceiling. One bolt, however, is not flush with the brace, but it works! I go for function, not looks, most of the time... LOL, I will probably get a shorter bolt later on. Next step will be to install the door thingies on the ceiling to hang the door on the ceiling. Then clean up my mess and bring the cushions back out to it.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
You can cut it off, replace as you said, or screw on a hook end. Now its useable! Not a mistake, but testing for future remodels. If you cand dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with b.s. [:D] see still all good!

Michael Maass

Aug 13, 2018
Keizer, Oregon
You can cut it off, replace as you said, or screw on a hook end. Now its useable! Not a mistake, but testing for future remodels. If you cand dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with b.s. [:D] see still all good!
I think I will create a hook to wrap around it from which to hang a light over the table. Thanks for that idea!