Coleman 425 e

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by Sjm9911, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I just picked up an older 425e. Most info says its dule fuel. But it has a red gas tank? Only gasoline ones i saw are green gas tanks? Anyone know for for sure? I just cleaned it and the rod ( atomizer spring injector thing is a bit bent) bit it seams to work. I soked the old leather pump seal in oil and got it to pressurize but eaither the fule is too old or little to do anything. I will get a new leather seal if it lights. I did a wd 40 wipe down on it. Was going to make it new, but then when i scratch it it would eark me. So old and scratched it is. 5 $ at a flee market.

neighbormike and Patrick w like this.
  2. Sjm9911

Ok fired it up with gas and it works. It leaks at the bent rod. But now i dont really know if its from the way the jet attaches to the rod or is it because the rod is bent. I was going to order another rod, at 30$ but it may be the attaching point thats on the tank thats bent. I will try a gravity fix i ised to use on toy trains tonre bend stuff. It may take a while, lol. Ill set up in a vise and hold the rod opposite of where it needs to be bent, and add weights daily. This will use gravity to slowly bend back into place whats broken. We will see.

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

All the Dual Fuel ones I have seen have a silver/grey tank.

Sjm9911 and kitphantom like this.
  4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We've found that the generator on the white gas stove, the "rod" if I'm picturing yours correctly, so need to be replaced after a while. There's a long needle-like thing inside. We have extras in our camping supplies. I found a bunch of them on ebay a long while back. I don't remember if the big batch is for the 413 or 425, but we have some of each, + one for the lantern we almost never use anymore.

5. Sjm9911

Ill bend it forst, if not i may spend the 30 bucks for the generator rod. Not sure yet, i may take it to work tomorrow and fool with it a bit.

6. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

My 425e is my ol trusty. The red tank is pretty much all they had back in those days and it burns gasoline, though not marketed as dual fuel. (Not just my experience)

1 gallon gets me through pretty much a whole season. Sometimes I need some extra for the lantern. So I just get a gallon of fuel and not worry about ethanol and the likes.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

Ok , so its crossthreaded and not bent. Good news is it works perfectly after i tightened up the atomizer tip. Done!

kcsa75 likes this.
  8. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Now you need to post camp cooking pics! !!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. Sjm9911

Ok , so on a test it boils water almost at the same rate as a viking stove. So i get a good start of almost boil from both the colman and the stove at about 6 mins and 17 seconds. Impressive.

kcsa75 likes this.
  10. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Btw if you finagle the lid a bit and you press those two brackets in under the burner grate I think it opens up so that you can center some big lots..

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Just converted my 425 to propane a couple weeks ago..

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Sjm9911

How did you do that? If i pick up another one, that may be a good idea.

13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I'm guess I'm strange, I have no interest in converting my white gas Coleman stoves to propane. The older ones I've used that were either dual fuel or propane seemed wimpy compared to the white gas. My new (ish) one burner propane Coleman does have more power than the older ones I've seen or used. I still like white gas better, but the single burner will be handy for some trips.

14. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

kcsa75 likes this.
  15. Sjm9911

I like options, lol. I would have one of each and spare parts for the gas one. Now i have more options. For like when i forgot to buy gas, or propane. Or my nemesis , the squirrel, eats through my propane lines.

16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I did it because it makes more sense for me to only carry 1 fuel type and I also have 80 lbs of propane available when all tanks are full..

Now my other Coleman double burner is still on naptha, along with the single burner..

17. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

When you forget to buy gas, you just steal from your TV. Or the closest gas station and top off. Oh I know all about those damn squirrels and mice.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  18. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I carry a single propane converter with my kit, just in case. At one point you could get one that had a fully adjustable knob - the one I have just has 3 positions. With these older stoves I prefer the white gas though, it just makes me happy. I have a 424 that has the electronic ignition on it, swapped out with a dual fuel tank (old one leaked at the seams) and it works great. I like the 413/414 series more - easier to cook larger meals on, but they do take up more room.

Get yourself a 3 burner too. I have 2 of them now, great for group camping or if you just want the extra room.

Not white gas, but my absolute favorite Coleman stove is the discontinued Guide Series 5428. I am fortunate enough to have found 2 of them - they do a great job with large meals or multiple pots, and that one 15k btu burner makes short work of boiling tasks.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  19. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

I saw a few 3 burners. Probably closer to sjm9911 than to me. Guy only wanted 20 bucks for it with a propane adapter. (was too far away for me at the time)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  20. F. Jake Glotz

F. Jake Glotz New Member

I have a Coleman 413E (Undated late 50’s) that uses white gas. I usually pack an aluminum fuel bottle in addition to fuel in the bronze tank and never run out of fuel. We don’t cook in the pup but use the outdoor propane stove and the Coleman. I can have 4 burners going or the Coleman oven spanning the two propane burners and save the Coleman for things that need serious heat. I took it apart last winter and cleaned and painted the inside, but resisted the urge to paint the green case which has a well used patina. The Coleman stove produces better heat above 5000’ and is great to stand next to when it is chilly.

Attached Files:

Sjm9911 likes this.