Coleman ABS Roof

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by benfrench, Oct 11, 2011.

Have you had any issues with your Coleman ABS Roof?

1. Yes, sagging, I fixed it ..

15.0%
  2. Yes, sagging, I got rid of it ..

4.3%
  3. No, never had any issues ..

32.4%
  4. Yes, cracking, I fixed it ..

50.9%
  5. Yes, cracking, I got rid of it ..

11.3%
  1. #iluvoutdoors

#iluvoutdoors Member

We just purchased a 1996 fleetwood bayport. With a damaged abs roof. We were thinking of pulling off the abs and putting on a fiberglass roof topped with resin. Does anyone know of a reason why we shouldn’t do this or what to be careful of? We contacted a company that sells fiberglass sheets and he asked what kind of foam the ceiling was made of. Does anyone know?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on the damage. Mine has firberglass under the abs, another guy hear has just foam under his abs. Im guessing you need to find out exactly whats under the abs.

3. #iluvoutdoors

#iluvoutdoors Member

Is there a way to do that without putting a hole in it? Right now there are just multiple small cracks along the rim.

4. Sjm9911

Probably not. I used grizzly grip on mine, so far so good a year out. I also filled in some bigger cracks with abs slurry. I tbink the water gets in through thr cracks then expands and contracts with the weather( heat, cold) causing the delamination. Even of you have to reapply something every 3 years or so might be better then total replacement if its not needed. Mine repair was only done about a year ago, so i cant speak to its longevity.

5. #iluvoutdoors

#iluvoutdoors Member

If it has already started delaminating and has tons of little fractures, will the grizzly grip stop that progression or is it best to rip it off and get it over with.

6. #iluvoutdoors

#iluvoutdoors Member

Does the grizzly grip stop the progression of the cracks and delamination? If not I was thinking we might as well rip it off and do it now.

7. Sjm9911

It depends. As i said i dont know the longevety. I went over mine and repaired the delamination. Yours dosent sound bad. Got pics?

8. #iluvoutdoors

#iluvoutdoors Member

I will post some pictures tomorrow

9. #iluvoutdoors

#iluvoutdoors Member

Here is some of the delamination. It’s not really bad or I’m very many spots.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  10. #iluvoutdoors

#iluvoutdoors Member

There is one spot where it is cracking clear up to the roof but that is the only spot. The previous owner tried taping the seals to the roof hence the tape all the way around the roof. I’m wondering why more people have not removed the abs and done fiberglass with a gel coat. I’m wondering if I’m missing something or not understanding something.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  11. Sjm9911

That looks like a candidate to remove it all. You seal also looks missing in some spots. So ,maybe get a new seal also. Someone just did a total removal of the roof here. Ill try to find it.

12. Sjm9911

13. #iluvoutdoors

#iluvoutdoors Member

14. Troyjm

Troyjm New Member

I am getting ready to pull off my ABS roof and rebuild it with grizzly grip. But first, I have two questions..... 1)I haven't seen anything on here about what to do with the track that holds the awning. It looks like it is just glued to the original roof and I'm hoping I can just pull it off and glue it back onto the rebuilt roof...????? 2)How do you tell if your roof just has foam or fiberglass and foam?

any advise?

15. jamie philipp

jamie philipp New Member

Getting ready to tear off the ABS roof on my 2000 Sea Pine Pup. Used the MEK/ Grizzly Grip method to fix cracks 2 years ago but new cracks have emerged and delamination has continued. I see most people have used the Grizzly Grip product after removal. Has anyone used Flex Seal?

16. RSMacios

RSMacios New Member

Is this still holding up?

17. someone montreal

someone montreal New Member

Has any one ever tried to inject epoxy or some form of Glue between the ABS and the fiberglass to see if it hold the abs back down and stops the de-lamination.. if so what Glue/epoxy works best ? i have a 2002 Coleman Santa FE , lots of little cracks and 3 big ass Cracks, i dremeled out about 100 or so small cracks making them bigger and plastering the MEK/ABS slurry into them, i cut open the larger cracks and pored the slurry into the BIG cracks , its all looking good, i just do not sand down the slurry to much because i don't want the repair to be thinned, i will MOUND the patches and feathered the edges. I have Grizzly grip to apply after but will wait a month or 2 to see if the crack repairs hold up , But I do want to GLUE down and de-lamination issues so looking for feedback on a good Bonder.... any feed back is welcomed.....

18. Sjm9911

Any plastic epoxy works, but if it isnt totally dry underneath it will most likely delaminate again. The water freezes and expands with the weather, while my fixes held the bubbled and cracks appeared a short distance away from the originals. Mine lasted a year. I would just pull it all off it i had to do it over. Your milage could vary. Some have foam underneath also, so it depends on when and who built the roof.

19. TheDuke

TheDuke Member

Ok, an update on my once perfect 2001 Cheyene roof. (Stored out of elements since 2001). Back in 2017, I burned the roof (see Photo 1), long story, but garage did not burn down :). Fixed it by cutting off top layer of ABS with circular saw (see photo 2), just leaving the foam core, which was "mostly" unscathed. I used a pickup truck bed-liner and it worked ok the first year, but toward the end of the year, it started to lose adhesion and peel off.

Last year, I used, Flex Seal (As seen on TV, white in a can, applied with a brush) and applied numerous thin coats (perhaps a dozen or so). I pulled out of storage and it looks great and survived the cold MN winter (albeit stored in machine shed) just fine. I'm very pleased with the patch and will post pics of the completed repair later.

Attached Files:

20. grim509

grim509 Member

So how do we get rid of the sagging if we cannot get a roof brace? I have a '98 sea pine and cannot find a roof brace anywhere!