Coleman ABS Roof

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by benfrench, Oct 11, 2011.

Have you had any issues with your Coleman ABS Roof?

1. Yes, sagging, I fixed it ..

15.0%
  2. Yes, sagging, I got rid of it ..

4.3%
  3. No, never had any issues ..

32.4%
  4. Yes, cracking, I fixed it ..

50.9%
  5. Yes, cracking, I got rid of it ..

11.3%
  1. Rick245

Rick245 New Member

I can see why you would need to drill some "access holes" to inject the epoxy. I did have one area where I wasn't sure I could get the epoxy far enough in and considered drilling a hole. I actually used a razor knife to "score" the ABS and open up a sort of flab to get the epoxy under the ABS. Any cracks that are wider than a "hairline crack" I use the ABS/M.E.K. mixture to fill. It has worked out very well so far. If you do drill holes I would simply keep them to a minimum...….the G-Flex will flow very nicely before it begins to set. I believe it has a "working time" of over an hour. Use a roller or simply press down on the entire area that has delaminated to get a good bond. Then put down some weights of heavy object to keep the ABS in contact with the substrate till it has set. Give it time to set.....don't be in a rush. After it has cured, either use the G-Flex or the ABS/MEK mixture to fill the drill holes. Sand smooth. Seal with a coat of Grizzly Grip or a good quality truck-bed-liner -----I'm using U-Pol's Raptor. It is a spray on liner that covers well and looks good. Keep me posted on your progress.

2. CoolCanuck

CoolCanuck Member

I've just filled some of the cracks near the roof seal edges with the ABS/MEK slurry. The seal was replaced by the previous owner and is still good. Though I do have new ones for the roof / box just in case. Planning on doing the roof delam's when/if it gets worse. Will use vacuum bag technique. No sense doing it when there's no real need yet.

3. Rick245

Rick245 New Member

The vacuum technique should work great. I have only used vacuum clamping with smaller woodworking projects. Would love to see how it works on a larger area. The trick, I suspect, is getting a good, positive seal. Once I get my bedliner sprayed on I will post some pics.