Coleman ABS Roof

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by benfrench, Oct 11, 2011.

Have you had any issues with your Coleman ABS Roof?

1. Yes, sagging, I fixed it ..

14.9%
  2. Yes, sagging, I got rid of it ..

4.1%
  3. No, never had any issues ..

31.3%
  4. Yes, cracking, I fixed it ..

51.4%
  5. Yes, cracking, I got rid of it ..

11.4%
  1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

No idea, some posted about trying it out. I never seen an update.

2. CottonwoodMama

CottonwoodMama New Member

Mine is doing the same. Where did you buy a roof brace? Also, have you heard of any places that can "re-build" the roof? My pup is is amazing condition, except for the roof.

3. John-R

John-R New Member

I have been trying to search through these sites and I know there is alot, so I may have missed this already, but can anyone give a simple comparison of the alphalitic (e.g. Grizzly Grip) and acrylic (i.e. the ones that you can find on Amazon, Lowes or Home Depot) roof coatings and why someone would choose one vs another? I know Grizzly Grip has lots of good reviews on this forum and others, but I've also seen good reviews on the acrylic coatings and they seem to advertize high reflectivity, which would be good since we are moving to the desert. We have a '99 Coleman Westlake with some spider cracking and one larger crack. Otherwise it's in fairly good condition. We were leaning towards Grizzly Grip, but if it all does a good job, then the lower the cost the better. Thanks for your time and insights.

4. Sjm9911

5. Sjm9911

Really depends on what you want it to do. Any coating will not fix the cracks. You have to address that first. Many strip the abs and go with the GG or a bedliner type paint. I have not seen many done here with anything other then bedliner paint. Im sure some have but its a very low percentage.

6. Bultacobill

Bultacobill New Member

I would highly suggest removing all of the ABS before you waste your time coating it. I just coated my roof with GG and removed “most” of the ABS as you may see just a few posts back. Already in the small amount of ABS I left around the edge to retain the awning rail I have small cracks returning.

I did the MEK slurry to repair the cracks and still some are back. I can only attest to the GG but it is a fantastic product . I am very pleased with it. The cracks that did come back are very small but it’s only been about 3 months and the weather is cold. I can’t imagine how bad they would get in the desert sun.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. NolanT

NolanT New Member

I'll second Bultacobill's suggestion of tearing off the ABS altogether. The MEK slurry seems like a lot of work with a high risk of more cracks down the road. The cracks and delams on my 2001 Santa Fe were only in a few locations near the front. It took me 3-4 hours to tear it all off using a wonder bar, hammer and oscillation saw. I'm looking forward to a clean start with GG.

Attached Files:

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. werkout52

werkout52 New Member

9. werkout52

werkout52 New Member

That looks exactly what I envision with my 1998 sea pine. Had to add roof brace due to sagging in the middle. Haw did GG work out?

10. Sjm9911

Nolan, what do you think is on top of the foam in the roof? Like a fiberglass mesh set into the foam, or is it skimmed fiberglass? This is a hot bed discussion here , lol. Loys say and look as if they only have a foam core. Yours lookes like mine did. But i never stripped off the abs compleatly. I always thought mine had a fiberglass layer. Looking at yours it looks like a sheet of fiberglass set into the foam mold. What do you think it is?

11. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Only to you. ;) I suspect what you think is a layer of fiberglass is just a result of foam being injected into a hot mold and curing to form a rigid foam core.

12. Sjm9911

Then explaine whats in the picture grey? When you do that i can agree with you , what makes that pattern? Is it a reinforcement mesh or not? Is it just the way the abs is made that grids the foam? Untill i find out I'll ask. I dont believe you took off your abs you just cut into it, and i did say yours looked diffrent.

13. GreyFox

Presumably you've seen this video. [?:~{]

14. Sjm9911

Yes. But it still looks diffrent inside like yours did. Might be the age or type of foam or it could be something else.

15. Scroggie

Scroggie New Member

Hi Bultacobill, does your unit have an A/c on top ? if so what did you do to work around that ? I suppose leave that part still attached like you did for the awning ? Don'r really want to get into dropping the A/C unless it's a simpler job that it looks.

16. Sjm9911

Best to take the ac off and replace the gaskit.

17. GreyFox

Removing the A/C is as simple as disconnecting the harness between the top unit & ceiling unit and removing the 4 bolts that run up from the ceiling unit to the top unit. Absolutely remove it if you're redoing your roof and while you're at it replace the gasket that is affixed to the underside of the top unit.

18. GreyFox

Go back to Post #284, read all those following, and you'll answer your own questions. :)

19. Scroggie

Scroggie New Member

Hi, so you suggest to pull the A/C and then replace the seal. Have you done this and how does the A/C come off. I would presume from the exterior ?

Did you do the Grizzlt procedure ? is 2 gallons enough ? Did you pull off the main seal of the roof that seals to the body or leave it on ? I saw some threads of a seal that they could never get back on as it shrank. Know what that's about ?

Tons of questions... thanks for your time.

20. Sjm9911

Removing the ac , https://www.popupportal.com/threads/how-do-you-remove-the-ac-unit-on-a-pop-up.68044/
    I would get the gasket from colman pop up parts.
    I did pull my seal , but it was shot anyway. I would pull the seal, if its in good shape you can try to reinstall it. If its older, its probably worth replacing it. But its $$$.
    I asked the GG people what was needed and then ordered it. Maybe 4 or 5 of there quarts. But it depends on the size of your roof. I would strip the abs. My repairs didnt take. And basicly i wasted the money and time. Strip it and do it right. That way you will not have to redue it at a later time. Good luck.

LarryGoesCamping likes this.