Coleman ABS Roof

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by benfrench, Oct 11, 2011.

Have you had any issues with your Coleman ABS Roof?

1. Yes, sagging, I fixed it ..

15.7%
  2. Yes, sagging, I got rid of it ..

4.0%
  3. No, never had any issues ..

29.5%
  4. Yes, cracking, I fixed it ..

52.0%
  5. Yes, cracking, I got rid of it ..

10.9%
  1. LarryGoesCamping

LarryGoesCamping Member

Do you mean do a frame on top to help prevent sag? I have been thinking about that. SOmething like plates/bars bolted to each corner, then when you run the lengthwise bar you run it a little shorter in the middle supports to suck up the sag.

2. LarryGoesCamping

LarryGoesCamping Member

Also nice job! you got lucky with the easy peal abs. Mine had to rip and chisel off here and there, destroying some sections of the foam/fiberglass.

3. MApopupreno

MApopupreno New Member

my thoughts were to remove the roof altogether and make a Rectangular frame with Cross pieces using aluminum square tubing. Runs about $21 for an 8 foot length. Obviously would need many of these. Then skin it with thin plywood. That Should be light enough for the Lift system, but stronger than the saggy foam roof I currently have.

4. LarryGoesCamping

LarryGoesCamping Member

Ah yeah I am thinking if I was to keep mine for many years I would need to do the same eventually.

MApopupreno likes this.
  5. IAN4421974

IAN4421974 New Member

we have a 2000 Coleman with the ABS roof. it has a couple of cracks but its otherwise solid. Reading here i am going to try some of the products to seal the cracks. I was member here years ago but just came back after getting the pop up camper itch to repair things again. I sold my old pop up a few years ago.

6. MApopupreno

MApopupreno New Member

I decided to try silicone roofing paint from Lowe’s. $60 For 1 coat (I used the full gallon) and 1 hour of work. I’ll let you know If it doesn’t hold up but so far it looks good to me.

Attached Files:

Salty and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

8. BBd

BBd New Member

I can't vote because there is no "I have ..., but haven't gotten around to fixing it yet."

9. LarryGoesCamping

LarryGoesCamping Member

Where are you located?
    Sold our pup! Got a hybrid camper. Now that I have done this I could do it again for a little $.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. erincel

erincel New Member

I have a new to me ‘97 Coleman Santa Fe with some pretty significant cracks, and a real bad sag. I’m considering removing the ABS roof all together, filling in cracks with Bondo, and re-sealing with bed liner, but I want to fix the sagging/ warped roof before I do all that. No leaks, pup is kept covered when not in use, so the inside has always been dry (I’m in California). Has anyone fixed their warped roof and have any pointers? I don’t have a lot of experience in RV repair, but I’m hoping it won’t be too difficult. TYIA

Attached Files:

11. erincel

erincel New Member

I was thinking the same thing! I love your process, and I’m gonna give it a try once I can fix the sag in my room. I’m lucky that I don’t have A/C, so no chance of a leak there. Thanks for sharing!

12. Sjm9911

https://www.popupportal.com/threads...-with-photos-how-to-tips.120240/#post-1232701

13. Jstansell

Jstansell New Member

I have a 1999 Coleman Niagara, my roof isn’t sagging but has a few small cracks along the front and rear edge near the bottom. Also has 2 crack approx. 6” on opposite sides just above the roof latches. I was curious if these could just be fiberglassed or bondoed and the just painted?

TheLight75 likes this.
  14. Indyandy474

Indyandy474 Member

I removed the outer layer, it just kept cracking and there wasn’t any “fix” that was going to stop it. I gave the top 4 coats of KoolSeal and another 2 coats this year. I installed usistrut on the inside to support the roof and keep it from sagging. After seven years without the outer layer, the top still looks good.

MApopupreno, amanda52704 and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. Sjm9911

What they said, anything other fix is just buying time untill it compleatly delaminates.

Indyandy474 likes this.
  16. Indyandy474

Indyandy474 Member

I know of those who have tried this repair with fiberglass and it didn’t work. The fix right now is to find ABS plastic and melt it down with MEK. I tried that but the problem is you will FOREVER be chasing cracks. You fix this one and another pops up.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. Indyandy474

Indyandy474 Member

My Bayliner cracked like that. When I went to remove it completely, it had delaminates from the foam core. The entire top came off in one piece. The foam core, after I cleaned the foam core off it was in perfect condition, no cracks. It has a rather hard layer for a foam based product. I removed the roof seal and have coated the core 4 or 5 times. It’s been 7 years since I removed it and all is well.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  18. TheLight75

TheLight75 Member

Those cracks looks fixable with bondo and fiberglass cloth/resin to me without needing to rip the whole ABS layer.

19. Sjm9911

You can fix it like that, but it will not last. Especially that one that has allready been patched with eternabond and who knows what else and painted. Mine wasn't even that bad, and it looked perfect after i redid it. But 1 year later it started recracking. It just dosent last.

20. Indyandy474

Indyandy474 Member

I used Unistrut. To make this easier to understand, give me a day or so and I’ll have pics for you and I can explain what I did.

TheLight75 likes this.