Coleman ABS Roof

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by benfrench, Oct 11, 2011.

Have you had any issues with your Coleman ABS Roof?

1. Yes, sagging, I fixed it ..

15.7%
  2. Yes, sagging, I got rid of it ..

4.0%
  3. No, never had any issues ..

29.5%
  4. Yes, cracking, I fixed it ..

52.0%
  5. Yes, cracking, I got rid of it ..

10.9%
  1. Indyandy474

Indyandy474 Member

It’s on the inside. From post to post, across front and back and 2 more running length wise on each side, trying to get you some pic’s

2. Indyandy474

Indyandy474 Member

I found a guy that posted the same repair I did, with unistrut.

gi_jimbo and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Indyandy474

Indyandy474 Member

Sandra510 and Tom Z like this.
  4. Tom Z

Tom Z Member

A back yard hack clapped on a roof top A/C unit dead smack center of roof near broke in half, had to sandwich bracing in and out and cover exterior bracing w fiberglass/boat resin to prevent water intrusion, took 3.5 days measuring cutting and welding and assembly ect.. So far so good.

5. Tom Z

Tom Z Member

Dude this is exactly what I was looking for when I went to do mine. Great job.

Indyandy474 likes this.
  6. MApopupreno

MApopupreno New Member

I thought I’d share my ABS sag fix, while simultaneously making a roof rack. I used superstrut u channel, 1/2” bolts to attach to the roof with very large fender washers on the inside. Total cost was about $200.

Attached Files:

Stardust1919 likes this.
  7. CoolCanuck

CoolCanuck Member

Miss Karla had a nice thread on the ABS Roof repair using the Struts back in Aug 2018.
    https://www.popupportal.com/threads/sagging-abs-roof-repair-with-photos-how-to-tips.120240/

I had posted my version of the Unistrut / Superstrut repair there as well, starting with Post #6. These methods are pretty much in sync with the Youtube video reposted above...

Mine is holding up well. Though I had left my trailer outside in the sun and preloaded the roof (somewhat) back into shape prior to attaching the strut.

MApopupreno likes this.
  8. Indyandy474

Indyandy474 Member

That looks great. Is it also a carrier for say a canoe?

9. MApopupreno

MApopupreno New Member

That’s my plan. The weight distribution is great now, I weigh 215lbs and was almost fully on top of it for some of the install. Before this I was afraid to sneeze on it lol. From what I read, be sure to take the canoe off before raising the roof though.

Indyandy474 likes this.
  10. Indyandy474

Indyandy474 Member

I did the same on the inside but I like your approach, it has more than one function.

MApopupreno likes this.
  11. Indyandy474

Indyandy474 Member

No
    regrets. Spent far too much wasted time chasing cracks and melting down white LEGO’s. It’s been 7 years and no problems at all. It’s the only way to go.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Indyandy474

Indyandy474 Member

My awning was attached with adhesive, attached to the abs. If the abs goes so does the awning. I have been wondering if any of us have re installed their awning after removing the abs?

13. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I haven't, i sold the pup. But if you wanted to, they sell metal track for the awnings, then drill holes through the foam and use a backer plate to distribute the weight. Bolt it though and seal it good.

14. Indyandy474

Indyandy474 Member

I thought the only way was to drill through but I really don’t want to do that. I’ll have to think about it. Right now I use a 12 x 12 canopy and it works well.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. Sjm9911

I never used the awning on the pup. Wasn't worth the hassle after the bag ripped. But that was the plan before I sold it.

16. Dano 445

Dano 445 New Member

Hi Nolan,
    Where did you find the aluminum strip for mounting your awning?

17. Fizbi

Fizbi New Member

I peeled off the top ABS, left the foam on, and installed steel siding on my 12' Coleman.
    Pretty much water and hail proof.

To do this I used three 14' lengths of steel siding from a big box store, stitched them together with stitching screws, then curled it over the top and bolted it down to the foam and inner ABS roof. I may trim it down a tad more but for now it looks super wicked. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  18. Sjm9911

Intresting and the first ive sceen done like that. Keep us updated on it!

19. gi_jimbo

gi_jimbo New Member

I'm getting ready to do some repairs on the '96 Coleman my wife and I just bought. The ABS roof is actually in pretty good condition. One corner got smashed at some point and will need repaired. The rest only has a few minor cracks. The front and rear trim are actually in worse shape than the top. Before I order some MEK or acetone to make ABS slurry, I had a friend recommend the following stuff to me. Has anyone tried it? He swears by it but didn't know for sure how it bonded to ABS. He said it's bonded very well to other plastics for him.
    https://dicorproducts.com/product/self-leveling-ultra-sealant/

Before fixing the cracks and GatorGripping it I was also going to do something similar to the unistrut support thing on the inside. It's only got a very slight sag in the center right now but thought I'd be proactive and get it supported now before doing everything else. While I may still go with Unistrut, I'm looking at building mine out of 80/20 instead. The extruded aluminum should be lighter than steel and provides good mounting options for hanging things like the door and new curtain racks to replace the old ones that will have to come out.

20. Sjm9911

Self leveling will seal it, and maybe prevent more water from going under the abs. Depending on how much water is under there depends on if the roof will delaminate or not. I would not gg it at this point.