Coleman ABS Roof

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by benfrench, Oct 11, 2011.

Have you had any issues with your Coleman ABS Roof?

1. Yes, sagging, I fixed it ..

15.0%
  2. Yes, sagging, I got rid of it ..

4.3%
  3. No, never had any issues ..

32.4%
  4. Yes, cracking, I fixed it ..

50.9%
  5. Yes, cracking, I got rid of it ..

11.3%
  1. blondyjs

blondyjs Guest

My 96 Shenandoah roof is sagging pretty bad. Someone has to stand in the center of the camper and hold the roof up to get the door in now. I want to fix it before we get snow and it gets worse. I really love my pop up and would rather fix it than get rid of it. We first need to fix the sagging issue and they don't make the braces anymore from what I understand. Even if I get someone to fabricate braces for me, does it really work? The braces are attached to the roof, doesn't it just add more weight??

Then, if we get the sagging fixed, can we fix the exterior of the roof? I'm attaching pictures. Is my pop up salvageable?

Hmm, I'm having trouble attaching photos. I'll keep trying.

2. blondyjs

blondyjs Guest

Attached Files:

3. jman1200

jman1200 http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/jmanotas/

Yikes.... yes, it is salvageable but will require a LOT of work. You are looking at interior reinforcements, returning it to its original shape, full peel and new coating.
    Good luck.

4. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

Man-o-man blondyjs, that's a tuffy.
    Your P-up is salvageable but if it were me, I wouldn't try to save that roof. You'll be hard pressed to get it done by snowfall around here anyway.
    I would take a bunch of measurements and use it for a template to build a complete new one. Then come spring swap it out.

5. blondyjs

blondyjs Guest

Thanks jman and Hoosier Daddy. So it looks like we are looking at a roof replacement, not a roof repair. We've decided to get a canopy/garage to keep over it. It will keep snow off during the winter, allow us to work on it whenever we want, and protect it in the future. We'll need at least a 12 x 24 x 9. We've started looking and it seems all of them have mixed reviews. A ton of people love them, have no problems and others say they don't last a year. I know this isn't the right forum but anyone have any advice?

As for as the roof replacement, I'll have to do more research to figure out how to build a new one. [RTM] Seems like a daunting task to me, but I'm willing to try! [:D]

6. Peters Dad

Peters Dad New Member

As with many of you I too have some cracking (no sagging) going on with my 2002 SunValley roof. It seems everyone is concentrating on the ABS/MEK method and covering with Grizzly Grip. Whatever floats your boat but here's an alternative... Trying to stay ahead of the game I started repairing the cracks, all 75+, which hadn't widened too bad. Lengths of the cracks ranged from minuscule to 18" give or take. After extensive research I decided to try cyanoacrylate glue (better know as super glue) mixed with baking powder. {see my description under "Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance" on this website under the title "Cyanoacrylate & ABS" dated December 14, 2015}. There are accompanying photos. The crack filling went great and I'm very happy with it. Not a gooey mess or smelly like melting ABS in MEK. I'm going to use Monstaliner to cover the roof beginning in a couple of weeks. I'll update when completed, hopefully with photos.

7. Gyrene

Gyrene New Member

I have a 1999 Coleman Mesa. It is cracking/Delaminating. It is also sagging. To the point where it is pulling apart the seal around the edge of the roof. I don't have an A/C unit or bike racks on the roof. I am planning on trying to fix the sag first. I saw somewhere (maybe on here) where someone used Unistrut to support his roof (I saved the pics for future reference). What is everyone doing to straighten the roof before putting in their supports?

8. time4adventure

time4adventure Member

@Gyrene

We purchased a roof brace from a Jayco dealer. The roof brace is just over 80 inches in length and it is installed on the side of that comes down from the roof. Our pup is a Coleman with a/c on roof. We opened up the pup and it's been propped up with 2 4 x 4 and some plywood to help with the sag. The ABS was practically just coming off and we removed it completely. We will be trying to install the brace soon.

9. Novarich

Novarich Active Member

I made new supports for my 1997 seapines. Waiting for time to get it into my shop to install the braces and grizzly grip the roof. I could probably make more braces if someone needed them. I'll post a picture of them tomorrow. My abs was only held on by the seal around the edges and pealed of fairly easy.

10. prostuff1

prostuff1 New Member

I have 1998 coleman bayside and if your roof braces would work for that model I would be interested in buying a couple. I have an AC unit on mine and have one roof brace, but would love to get one or two more for the front and the back.

11. jnellis01

jnellis01 Love to Travel

I could not vote, but my pups abs roof started cracking and one big bubble center of roof, this summer. I bought Henrys roof adhesive, but it did not work, the abs laminate pulled up again. My better half(hubby) will try again to apply the Henrys as soon as the weather gives us steady warm weather.
    If the second attempt does not work we are thinking about rip off the abs and to purchase roofing membrane and adhesive. Stay tuned.

12. Novarich

Novarich Active Member

Here is a pic of one of the braces I made.

Attached Files:

MIJohansens likes this.
  13. time4adventure

time4adventure Member

How are you installing the brace on the ceiling?

14. dnb

dnb 1996/97 Coleman Yukon -- PacNW

Our 96/97 NTU Coleman Yukon has no sag, no cracks, and was garage kept.

It does however have two small bubbles, which I noticed when I pressure washed it yesterday and could see it in the wet from the side.

I plan on doing the pickup bed covering on it this summer as a preventative measure.

I do have to add that we have no bike rack or A/C which is what attracted me to this unit.

15. webhannet

webhannet Member

YES, PLEASE let us know how that brace would attach.

My 1997 Coleman I just bought doesn't seem to sag, but I haven't been able to open it to check - it looks ok from the outside.

Also, am I to understand that the foam core does NOT hold water?

AND, I'd love to know how anyone has constructed an entirely NEW ROOF. Please let us know

16. ArmyofMike

ArmyofMike New Member

Luckily, the owner before me tore off all the ABS down to the subroof and had my 2001 Coleman Niagara roofed completely Rhino-Lined. He also did the top and sides of the story chest in Rhino Line also. Holds water out, is VERY sturdy and was a major purchasing plus for me.

17. Zombieitch

Zombieitch Member

The pup my father in law has is starting to crack and delaminate at the corners and the awning rail. Our '00 bayside has the Alumitite roof. I have a feeling I will be helping my father in law repair his sooner than later as I have lots of plastics experience.

18. CottonwoodMama

CottonwoodMama New Member

Novarich: How do you use (attach) the supports? I have a 96 Bayport, and at 16'9" it is just starting to sag in the middle (It was kept in a garage for much of it's life). Thus far, very little cracking and I'd like to go on the offensive and keep it from sagging/cracking/delaminating. I would definitely be interested in purchasing some of your supports! Thanks, Stacie

19. Bobby4574

Bobby4574 New Member

Hello

First time posting a question. My question is I have a 2001 Coleman that we purchased last season and have not used it yet. I noticed after we had got it home there are indications that they may of had a leak. The leak looks to be coming in from a bike rack the previous owner installed. I know it was not installed correctly after I looked at it further. My thought was to remove the rack and fill the old screw holes. The rack runs from back to front on both sides of the roof. My question is what would be the best product to go over the old screw holes? I would appreciate any feedback on this because I'm ready to do the repairs since the nice weather is coming
    Thank you,

20. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

I suggest you ask a question in a new thread. You will get more answers this way.