Coleman ABS Roof

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by benfrench, Oct 11, 2011.

Have you had any issues with your Coleman ABS Roof?

1. Yes, sagging, I fixed it ..

14.9%
  2. Yes, sagging, I got rid of it ..

4.1%
  3. No, never had any issues ..

31.3%
  4. Yes, cracking, I fixed it ..

51.4%
  5. Yes, cracking, I got rid of it ..

11.4%
  1. NorthernLights

NorthernLights New Member

I have experienced both sag and cracking.

I suspect that I got lots of years out of the roof (as did the PO) because of the covering when not in use. That said, the cracking started on the side that held the bag awning for my Coleman Niagara. There has been some separation (delamination) of the ABS coating from the subroof, but the layer has remained contiguous. So I chose to focus on the cracking, rather than stripping the surface or trying to re-adhese the layer. There were areas that I injected glue under the surface. I chose not to go the ABS pellets and MEK route, primarily because the volume of material I needed was small. I found a product called "Bondaide Platsic Glue" that is a two part epoxy putty. It is important to find every crack and drill out the ends and widen the crack - I used a rotary tool to stop the tracking of the crack and to get space for the putty. one part is wrapped around the other and you slice off part and need it together like playdough. It hardens fast (very short working time), and sands well. I use truck bedliner (Hippo Tintable) and given the size of surface used the 2 kits in the package. I was very impressed with how well it went with rolling given short working time.

And the sag is more pronounced due to the A/C despite the support bracket. But simply using shower curtain rods the screw type with metal inner rod (stronger than the plastic screw) allowed me to counter the sag. The roof becomes more plastic in the hot summer heat, so using the screw mechanism and some cedar shims, I have "corrected" some of the sag. The rods are place under the ends of the A/C support bracket to live from the counters. There is enough flex in the roof that the force on the counter tops has not been a problem.

With respect to the bedliner coating - it was a bit of an experiment for me and worth the risk to preserve some value considering the cost of replacement for a roof or the trailer. The cost of materials was not expensive; it worked out in part because the damage had not progressed too far, and I spent time planning and preparing. If you decide to do this on your own, spend your time in preparation and research. Seek advice as there are different solutions that will work. I am so far very happy with the results.

2. TheDuke

TheDuke Member

I pulled out my 2001 Coleman Cheyenne for the summer and inspected the roof. Perfect. I am the original owner and bought it new. I store it inside and the only time it sees the daylight is when I camp, usually a week or so per year. In the winter, I store in a machine shed with concrete floor.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, or does being out of the sun for 99.9% of it's life make the big difference?

3. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Storing it indoors makes a huge difference

4. Jordanr8815

Jordanr8815 New Member

Does anyone know of a company and or individual that is making an interior brace kit to fix the sagging roof. I currently have the Key West 12 foot roof and have started the sag and crack. I don't believe its terrible yet but I would like to be proactive in fixing the roof.

5. kevabar

kevabar New Member

I have a 96. I made a temporary brace out of 2x material with flat stock exchange on the ends for the floor and ceiling to spread the load out. I'm hoping to let the popup sit out in the sun for a bit to let the ABS expand and contract before doing the gorilla glue repair.

I plan on always using the brace whenever the roof is down- storage or travel. Plus, I have a roof rack already installed so that will carry the load during travel.

6. Novarich

Novarich Active Member

I have had enough requests from people I am considering remaking the roof prices for the colemans. I'll know in the next couple weeks whether I can make them for an affordable price.

Attached Files:

7. Badboyz107

Badboyz107 New Member

NOvarich so would your brace counteract the sagging if it is already happening? I noticed that mine is moderatly bad on the back side of the AC unit after the winter. My abs is cracking and bubbling pretty badly, and I was considering making a new roof of of conventional materials.

I never heard about anyone pulling the outer surface off to the fiberglass....is that really an option???

8. KiteSquid

KiteSquid New Member

I am new to this forum as I just bought a 2001 Coleman Utah CP and it has cracks in the roof. where can I find the information on how to fix it.

Also the track for the awning is coming unglued. where can I find a replacement and/or the proper adhesive to rebond it to the roof.

Thanks in advance.

9. jumpoff

Go to the roof repair section. I have the same camper with the same cracks. I repaired mine using the super glue method. The are several methods, choose the one you like. It's not all that difficult. http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=53.0

Use that link to help you get started. good luck.

10. Yukon Joe

Yukon Joe 2002 Colman Niagara

I'm in the mists of repairing my 2002 Coleman Niagara with the ABS / MEK goo method. I had been putting this repair of for years and have finally started to tackle it.

Once the cracks are all sealed, I plan to add Grizzly Grip. Sounds about 2 gallons and at least 4 rollers should do the trick.

The few questions I have is:
    1) can someone confirm the 2 gallons of Grizzly Grip?

2) I replaced the roof gasket years back. It was not cheap, therefore I am not planning on removing it for the roof repair. I'll tape of the gasket for the grizzly grip. How easy is it to remove the painters tape with a bit of GG on it? What kind of edge will it leave with the GG?

3) Should I bite the bullet and remove the ac unit? If so, how big of a task is it? Any recommendations for removal instructions? I did some searching, but could only find install info.

Pics are always nice to look at. Here is the current status of the repair.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ABS / MEK goo is taking some time to come to a smooth consistency. I have three different jars going. Lol... all different viscosities.

Thanks for any additional input.
    Yukon Joe [emoji41]

11. Yukon Joe

Ordered the Grizzly Grip today.
    Fine texture, supposed to be smooth like an orange.
    They recommended 2 of the 4x6 truck bed kits to cover 126 sqft of my Coleman Niagara. Kinda weird, since the kits are cheaper than simply buying the gallons. I bought an extra roller of each size to aid in the application.

I went with the almond color.

12. jumpoff

On my Coleman Utah, which I believe is the same size, I used 1 gallon of GG. I think it was enough but I tried to spread it out thin on the first coat. I used store bought wider rollers and I thought they worked better. I took off my AC cover to get to the edge of the seal. I didn't replace the seal because I had no cracks leading up to the seal and no leaking issues around the AC on the inside of the pup...

13. Fizbi

Fizbi New Member

I drilled holes in my roof and injected Gorilla glue to reattach the ABS roof to the foam. Still filling a few cracks, but will be done soon.

On my roof, I installed a single internal brace, meant to support an AC unit. I added a vertical aluminum pole to prop up the sag. I just insert the pole when the camper is set up and remove for storage.

When the top is down, I have a wooden prop that fits in line with the internal brace so that the roof rests on this wodden spacer, thus preventing any sag duting storage ot travel. Works quite well.

14. kg4ueq

kg4ueq New Member

I was given a '97 Sun Ridge. The ABS had delaminated almost completely and there were numerous cracks all over the top. I cut the ABS off, removed the AC, sealed the holes left by the AC and covered the top with bed liner material. My top won't win any beauty contests, but it doesn't leak and that is all that matters to me. It is sagging a bit, but that is something that I will tackle a little later on.

Right now my next pressing issue is the ceiling has started to delaminate. It's not bad right now, but it will get worse. There are a few cracks developing. I have tried to glue the ceiling back to the foam but nothing has worked. I am considering using pop rivets (the type used by Coleman with a wide head and that has a mandrel that spreads out when compressed). Before I started drilling into the roof, I wanted to get options and opinions.

If your ceiling has the same problems, what have you done to fix it?

15. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I wanted to vote but cant because I have both problems and I am still trying to fix them.

16. Gremlin

Gremlin New Member

Just noticed this thread and didn't read all the postings.........but has anybody mentioned or tried using EPDM rubber roofing on their Coleman ABS roofs? Wondering if that would work?
    My son used this stuff on his '72 Winnebago Motor Home 10 years ago and it's till doing the job.

17. joebutcher00

joebutcher00 New Member

I have a 2003 Coleman Carmel that over the last year had developed quite a few hairline cracks. I decided that since the cracks weren't very wide I would just do the Grizzly Grip fix. I purchased the snow white color and it went on pretty easily. I did the fix back in June and so far it's holding up great. I have to store it outside so we'll see how it goes.

18. Yukon Joe

Did you all least drill the ends of the cracks so they wouldn't get any larger?

19. time4adventure

time4adventure Member

Like you I have a Sun Ridge, looking for ideas to fix the ceiling. Have a cracked delaminating ceiling by the light fixture.

Attached Files:

20. Yukon Joe

Wow, Looks like the whole interior roof has pulled away from itself. Is there water getting in that may have caused that?

I would cut out all the bad spots back to a portion of the roof that is solid. Then repair with fiberglass / MEK ABS goo. It won't be easy working with that stuff upside-down.