Coleman ABS rubber seal

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Martinfamily3, May 6, 2008.

1. Martinfamily3

Martinfamily3 New Member

Does anyone know what the rubber seal on the Coleman/Fleetwood roofs does? I can see how it protect the camper during towing and if it's stored outside,but does it do anything during camping?
    Here is my question. Since I got 2 quotes from 2 different dealers for replacing the seal,$600.00 and $800.00,I am now going to Gorilla Glue the seal back on,but as far as I can tell it does'nt really do anything that stick on camper seal would'nt do and this Gorilla Glue thing has the potential for an all day project so can't I just get stick on camper seal and make my own seal?
    The camper is garage kept so thats not an issue.Keeping rain out during towing is.
    Even if I glue the seal back on it has appeared to have shrunk by about 3 feet and I'm going to have to piece something in that spot anyway.

The new seal is $7.05 per foot and both guys said it takes 2 guys all day(holy labor bill batman!) and then the solvent to clean the old one off is $70.00 and the glue is $120.00. INSANE!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nothing left to do but smile,smile,smile!

2. achurch2k

achurch2k New Member

As far as I know it does nothing when camping. I store mine outside so the seal is pretty important. When travelling down the road it is not so important, unless of course it is raining. There is a place called Trim-Lok that you can order custom seal. http://www.trimlok.com It seems a little pricey from what I remember. I am looking for the other place I thought was mentioned here somewhere, if I find it I'll edit this post. I need to get some too.

The other place is http://www.austinhardware.com , but they do not seem any cheaper. I read on a post elsewhere on this site that states one owner got a replacement roll of rubber seal from Fleetwood and it had Trim-Lok printed on the cardboard roll that it came on.

Alan

1996 Coleman Cheyenne
    1999 VW Eurovan
    Janay+Hannah+Aidan

Edited by - achurch2k on May 06 2008 13:11:09

Edited by - achurch2k on May 06 2008 13:24:11

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Are you by chance the original owner? My 99 Niagara's entire seal was replaced by Fleetwood at no cost.

39 days booked for 08. 4 nights camped in 08
    Camping season is just too short.
    2007 Fleetwood Highlander Avalon (Great White)
    2003 Ford Expedition (Green Monstah)

4. Martinfamily3

Martinfamily3 New Member

No I'm not the original owner.I wonder if I called him and asked him to buy it back for a dolllar that he would get the roof replaced for free. HA HA! Then sell it back to me for a dollar!

I just soaked the old seal in simple green and scrubbed the heck out of it,I removed the old glue. I'm going to Home Depot to get some clamps so I can do the Gorilla Glue this weekend.It's not like I have anything else to do all day Saturday.

When I called my closest dealer back in January he said it would be $250.00 installed! So I ripped the old one off(it was barely on there) and almost threw it away! I'm glad now that I kept it,the price was quite different when I called to schedule to have it done last week.

5. achurch2k

achurch2k New Member

Okay after being irritated by necessity to buy the seals in 250' minimums I found a place that appears to sell them by 25' rolls at around $35/roll. Not a bad price. I know nothing about the company, so if anyone has feedback I'd like to hear it. Here's the URL

http://tinyurl.com/5kcons

Alan

1996 Coleman Cheyenne
    1999 VW Eurovan
    Janay+Hannah+Aidan

6. SLORKC

SLORKC New Member

Check at McMaster Carr they carry many different types of edge seals,go the there web site and check it out.

7. Martinfamily3

Martinfamily3 New Member

Thanks for all the responses. I did the gorilla glue and it is holding great,actually it never looked better. I came up about 14 inches short so I will only need a 2 foot piece. It took us about 2 hours,I already had everything cleaned so all we had to do was glue the seal on. I bought 10 of those big clips from Home Depot .99 ea and first we put the seal on the entire camper and got all the corners figured out and straightened the seal out nice and perfect and then we took a small paintbrush and glued the seal back on a little at a time,pulling it down in front of the paintbrush as we went and then putting it back in place as we went,using the big clips on the corners and in the middle of each side.Once we were done we let it sit for about an hour so the glue would take hold and to make sure no glue came out(gorilla glue expands) we took the clips off and lowered the roof and and made sure everything was even and then we used the roof clips to hold it down. I popped it up today and it came it out great.
    Now I just have to figure out who to send my bill to! :)

8. CampingDude

CampingDude New Member

Greetings Martinfamily3! This is Camper Dude getting ready to tackle the rubber seal repair job on my 2001 Coleman Niagara Elite. I have read your article and I need to know which clips you are referring to and which section in Home Depot did you find them. Oh yeah, did you ever find out whotosend the bill to? HaHa! Hope to hear from you soon!

John Brinker

9. pianewman

pianewman Ft. Worth, TX

Hey Martinfamily3,
    How's the gorilla glue holding up? Can we assume that none of it squeezed out and glued your pup shut?
    My 02's gasket is showing a desire to split, and your repair sounds great. Just wondering how it's doing now.
    Ed

pianewman
    2002 Fleetwood Santa Fe
    2005 Toyota Tundra Crew Cab Limited, 4.7 liter, Reese 400 WDH
    Scangauge II

10. CampingDude

CampingDude New Member

Hi there!! Can you please send me a pic of the clips you are referring to!!! I bought the 2"clips Green in color and attempted to duplicate what you did but to no avail it did not work at all. Not sure I am quite understanding just exactly how you accomplished this very frustrating feat. I have attempted to repair mine on several occasions with minimal luck. The heat here in Florida takes it's toll on the seal since I have to store mine outside. Pls send a pic to [email protected] Your efforts are greatly appreciated!

John Brinker

11. CampingDude

CampingDude New Member

Well, after a 2nd go around using the clips that I thought were too big has turned out to be a huge success!!! Not as neat as I would have like it to be but hey it's just a seal. This forum has turned out to be very helpful.

2003 Yukon
    2001 Coleman Niagara Elite

John Brinker

12. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

This is a little awkward. I looked and he has found a bunch of posts and said the same thing about his site. I promote some of my own product, but only whe I can add value to the thread and hopefully helpful info. What surprises me is there is no history to see if this product is actually the right one. I even looked at his amazon listing he quoted on another thread and there is nothing to add about this product.

I guess if he is buying bulk and splitting it up, great for many but I wish there was more info and not just an ad for the site. But I'm probably giving even more notice on a bad practice of his by commenting.

13. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

Of his grand total of 8 posts... 7 of them are the recent spamming of the seal.
    Only his first post back in May was non-sales related.

Admittedly, the posts did catch my eye so his tactics do work. When I clicked on the link the seal is the only thing on the websight. Maybe he is trying to get started in a much needed service to old P'upers but I was a little too worried to buy yet.

14. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

Could be...I will be needing a seal, so I was curious. However, I probably won't order from that place. If they would have started a new thread will the sales pitch, it would have been totally different.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk