Coleman Columbia owners club.

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by EvilM0nkey, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Parrot Head Billy

Parrot Head Billy New Member

We're going out for her maiden voyage this weekend.

Bill

2. jupiter79

jupiter79 New Member

Hello, new to the forum, but we've had ours since March. I've updated the gas lines, water lines, water pump, and minor electrical. We've had her out twice and the canvas doesn't leak. Last weekend we slept 3 adults and 4 children in it and were pretty comfortable. Looking forward to restoring.

Attached Files:

3. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Welcome to the Columbia club Jupiter79. Nice pup, looks a lot like my '84. I've updated the electrical and still have the gas and water system (adding a pump) to do. Sleeping 7 in there and calling it comfortable is amazing. It's just the two of us and while plenty of room can't imagine that many. One thing, looking at your pic, the rear bunk supports are going straight to the ground. Were you setting up or tearing down and had them unhooked. On mine they hook to the frame for maximum support.

Fuzzy

4. ZaneeMe

ZaneeMe New Member

Got our 89 or 90 (not sure which year) Columbia last year for $500. She was worked hard and looks it! There are holes and rips in the canvas, which I will eventually need to replace. The electric isn't working anywhere. We have rigged some outside trailer lights on her bike rack and use those for blinkers and brake lights. We just use battery-operated Coleman lanterns for inside light right now. The propane can't seem to get to the stove and the water pump doesn't draw water, so I'll have to take some time to figure out where the disconnect is there.

We've taken her out a few times without any upgrades or repairs, because we can and we like to camp! We're used to tenting it, so this has so far been a very small step above a tent. Have also had one trip to the ER due to the sharp edge of the step meeting the grandbaby's forehead, so I have some pipe insulation over that lip now.

I have a few months to fiddle and figure out if I can do the repairs or if I should upgrade, pay a little more, and get another pup in better shape. We are planning on a 3-week trip in 2017, so I need to get cracking on some things and make a decision!

Attached Files:

5. sdn40

sdn40 Member

At that price point, you can put in some repairs and even new canvas, and still come out ahead because you know what you have in to it. I chose to do the same with my Columbia and don't regret it. The Columbia's are simplistic, and that is a good thing. The only thing I don't know about yours is the fiberglass nose and rear. Sometimes there are concerns with fiberglass. I'm sure someone can chime in on any heads up

6. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

As was mentioned, nice price for a nice little camper that you can make your own. I had the same problem with the water system and ended up installing up a 12V water pump to by-pass the pump handle and it works great. http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=105943.msg1070797#msg1070797

As for the propane, follow the lines and check for leaks with soapy water, if no leaks trying blowing out the lines to see if there is any obstructions.

Good luck with it and keep us posted on your progress.

7. samh

samh Campin'

8. imd12nv

imd12nv New Member

Hello i just got my first pup and it's a Coleman columbia needs minor repairs but look forward to upgrading and personalizing some stuff.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

9. samh

samh Campin'

Awesome, imd12nv. Welcome to the club! As you begin to repair, upgrade, and find other ways to make the camper yours, start a "build thread" here on the Portal and share a link with us so we can follow along.

10. Kentite

Kentite New Member

Hi All,

Just bought this last weekend! Super pumped as this is our first off-ground rig. Its a 1990 Columbia from Canton Ohio I picked up for 700$. All is in pretty great shape but first things to do are caulk the roof, replace the electric cover hatch, sand and repaint the cabinets, and put down some new floor. The wife has all kinds of other things planned as well.... pop-up princess be damned!

Hoping to get out in the next couple weeks before it gets to0 cold.

Attached Files:

11. iflyos

iflyos RC aircraft, playing radio, and camping

Welcome to the club!! Start a thread on your mods/rehab/whatever you want to call it, and link us to it! We love to follow along with Columbia builds!

Tim

12. Doug k

Doug k New Member

My son and I recently became members of this elite team. He was given an 86 Columbia that should have been hauled directly to the landfill. Since (in his words) it would be a great father-son project, we are now in the middle of a full restoration/remodel. Stripped to the frame, compete roof overhaul, floor, kitchen and cushion covers. After being stored, unused, under a pine tree for 10 years, the only thing that was salvageable was the wiring...all the lights worked!, (except for the stupid square 6 pin plug...which was cut off and replaced with a 7 pin RV plug. I have been taking progress pics, but none to share yet...I will though. I have a good handle on almost everything thus far, but I do have some questions about the 12v system. I read the manual, and it says something about buying an after market plug that runs to the tow vehicles cigarette lighter to work...what is that? If there is a battery, why the extension cord to the truck? My 7 pin plug also has a spare tab for AUX/12v... why couldn't I butt splice that into harness to charge the battery when it's plugged in the truck socket? Sorry about the electrical questions...I'm a cement mason/cabinet maker not an electrician.

Can't wait to share our "shoebox" moments with you all!!!

13. iflyos

iflyos RC aircraft, playing radio, and camping

Columbia's didn't come with "house batteries" or the proper power center to charge them, so Coleman offered the 12v extension cord you are referring to. This allowed you to use the interior light and the stepper light when you don't have hookups.

Several of us have added batteries, and have handled charging them in different ways. However, doing as you mentioned would only supply power while the tow rig is running, so to get light in the camper, the truck would need to be running.

Tim

14. samh

samh Campin'

Welcome new Columbia owners to the club. I so enjoy hearing about new life being breathed into these older model Colemans!

15. Kentite

Kentite New Member

Here's our Mods so far... paint, new cushions, some cleaning. Flooring next, scrubbing the canvas, painting the table. then the fun stuff :)..... CAMPING!

Attached Files:

16. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Doug K, here is a picture of the cord they are talking about with the cigarette lighter plug on the end. [​IMG]

I added a 12V socket to the outside of my battery box and just plug it in when I get to the campground as opposed to running it to the truck. The cord can be found here http://colemanpopupparts.com/collections/convertor-related-parts/products/extension-harness-2

You can also get a harness like this and eliminate the 12V plug http://colemanpopupparts.com/collections/convertor-related-parts/products/battery-harness

For charging I keep it on a battery maintainer at home ensuring a good charge before I head out and have a small solar panel to keep the charge up while in use. If you camp with hookups you can just keep it on a maintainer while camping.

17. Doug k

Doug k New Member

Thanks Fuzzy Bear,
    That answers the cigarette lighter plug question, but I'm still searching for an answer to my charging question. I already have a deep cell battery...everything works on both sides (110 and 12v). Can I run a wire from the "spare" AUX 12v on my 7 pin plug to the trailer battery so when it is plugged into the T/V, it will charge it? My concern is that the battery could over charge and be damaged...or worse.

18. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

The charging from the TV I'm not sure about, hopefully someone will chime in who has the knowledge to answer it. As I said I charge mine either with the plug in charger or with solar when I am camping (we rarely camp where there are any hookups. Good luck.

19. samh

samh Campin'

You can definitely use your tow vehicle to charge your trailer battery but you will want to install a solenoid inline to avoid the trailer battery draining the vehicle battery in the event the trailer remains hooked up to the tow vehicle for long periods of time. The solenoid works in such a way so as to only allow the vehicle battery to charge when the ignition is on. I found a more detailed description of this process here:

https://www.etrailer.com/question-64598.html

20. Doug k

Doug k New Member

thanks you guys...this is awesome