Coleman Columbia owners club.

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by EvilM0nkey, Sep 18, 2011.

1. CobraII351

CobraII351 New Member

OK a couple of questions. I have 2 Columbia's one is an 85 with the 2 drop in pieces for the rear bed and the other is a few years newer with the "expanda bed". I tried to moving the newer bed over but I can't get the supports to lock onto the back without the bed being a funky angle like they are too long. Were the slide rails different. I just drilled the end rivets out and removed the bed portion.

Also the 85 which is the one and fixing up is setup for brakes? Has anyone heard of this on a Columbia? The drums and all the hardware is there less the magnets. My primary tow vehicle tends to warp rotors by itself, I figure making the brakes operational can hurt. I'm trying to figure out the size to order the magnets anyone know the size offhand?

Thanks.
    Tim

2. CobraII351

CobraII351 New Member

Well I answered my own questions on the bed rails. I dug the newer pup out and the sliding rail is indeed 2" longer than the earlier model rear rails. so I swapped out the rails and we are good on that part. We got the new Bear Creek canvas hung yesterday and as expected it fits perfectly. A couple of more touch ups and we'll be good for our maiden outing this coming weekend.

I'm still looking to possible setup the brakes on it if possible. If anyone has any info on that it would be great.

Tim

3. samh

samh Campin'

Time to pull it behind something other than an Outback perhaps ; ) Best of luck determining if trailer brakes will work for you. Sounds like you're close to being set up for it so I hope you can figure something out - - and have an AWESOME time camping this weekend!

4. Aroyer88

Aroyer88 New Member

Hey all! I hope people are still on this blog! My wife and I just purchased our first pop up camper....a Coleman Columbia!

We're so excited to get started on camping with it.

I have one question, is anyone aware of the weight limit for the bed sides?

Thanks!

5. Doug k

Doug k New Member

I Still check in...not a clue what the weight rating is. 1/2" OSB (most people call it particle board) is all that is in mine. I certainly wouldn't do a lot of jumping on the bed.

6. iflyos

iflyos RC aircraft, playing radio, and camping

I have had 500lbs of gear on mine without a problem, but that was static, non moving weight (Ammo and other gear)

7. samh

samh Campin'

Welcome to the Columbia Owner's Club! The weight rating on the bunk ends is something I hear asked a lot, but I don't know exactly what it is unfortunately. Definitely a few hundred pounds though.

8. 88Wolfsburg

88Wolfsburg New Member

Hello my name is Ian I am new to the forum. I am the proud new owner of a 1982 Columbia.I have been looking for a small pop up for a long time. I tow with a 1988 vanagon and the Columbia is perfect. My question is where is the stock placement of the battery for the 12v system if it goes under the seat or on the hitch

9. frankvanw1

frankvanw1 London, Ontario, Canada

Ian,
    I believe your tent trailer was designed for a wire harness to run from your car's (tow vehicle) cigarette lighter to your tent trailer. This would enable you to run the lights in the tent trailer. Maybe other vintage Coleman owners can help here.
    Also see "Fuzzy Bear" 's post above that has links to a similar harness.
    Good luck and happy camping.

10. samh

samh Campin'

Ian, if your 1982 is built to the same spec (or similar) as my 1983 then the tongue is only rated for a small amount of weight - - usually just enough for a single propane tank. That being said, it's not likely that adding an extra 40 or 50 lbs from a battery would be exceptionally bad for it, but it probably isn't designed for it. As Frank said, these trailers were designed to be plugged into your vehicle for battery power and not necessarily to have their own battery. If you're interested in a thorough documentation regarding re-doing the electrical on a Columbia you can view my build profile to get some ideas (link below).

11. 88Wolfsburg

88Wolfsburg New Member

Thanks Frank!

& thanks Samh, I appreciate it. I've read through your build thread it's good!

12. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Once I put the propane tank on the tongue I found I just didn't have the room for the battery to be mounted. I'm sure I could have modded up a way to mount it, but I found it is easier to just transport the battery in the TV and hook it up when I get to the campground. I've seen it mounted in one of the under seat cabinets but for us the storage space is too precious. I just added a plug onto the battery box for the cigarette lighter style connector that came with the Columbia so it only takes a minute to hook up. I also added a quick disconnect plug that I then wired to a fuse block in the popup to run things like the water pump and usb plugs to charge the phones and tablets. Plus carrying the battery in the tow vehicle, when we get home and unload the battery goes into the garage and gets hooked up to the charger/maintainer so it's all ready to go for the next trip.

13. robenster

robenster New Member

Hello friends!! I just purchased my 1985 Coleman Columbia! I've already bought a replacement lock for the step, but to get it home we did have to use Gorilla tape to ensure it wouldn't keep opening! Overall it seems in fair condition but will need some tlc. Got a great deal though, $300!

Here's Dolly :)

She seems to be all original but I will be doing some modificatons and replacing things that are worn out/need replacing. Surprisingly enough the cushions seemed like no one had even sat on them! Anyone else find that? Maybe it's just a super sturdy foam.

I know I'll do the tissue box test and hopefully add some anti-fatigue mats to the beds and possibly a memory foam topper. Feel free to let me know if you've already have done the test so I know how much room I'm working with haha :)

Nice to meet everyone!

14. samh

samh Campin'

Your photo doesn't seem to be appearing for me, but welcome to the club. Always great to hear about new owners!

15. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Same here on the photo not showing, but congratulations on the Columbia. They are great little campers. Funny enough, I thought the same thing about the cushions in my '84. They are definitely original and in surprisingly great shape. Good luck in making the camper your own with your personal touches.

16. robenster

robenster New Member

17. samh

samh Campin'

That's a fine lookin' Columbia. And a great price too.

18. Chelsea

Chelsea New Member

My boyfriend and I just purchased our first PUP - 1989 Coleman Columbia. We have some work to do, but we are super pumped! 74795146964405049-account_id=1.jpg 3513614096780028572-account_id=1.jpg 7851691334494924550-account_id=1.jpg

19. samh

samh Campin'

Welcome to the club, Chelsea. It's a fine looking trailer. And much like most of us other Columbia owners I see yours has some nice quirks... particularly the rake ; )

20. M-88

M-88 Member

They are nice campers!

Wish I could find a right front fender (or at least get measurements for one) so I can get mine fixed up!

Until then, duct tape fender does the trick!