Coleman Columbia owners club.

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by EvilM0nkey, Sep 18, 2011.

1. jenmenke

jenmenke New Member

We have a 1984 Columbia and I can safely say it's pretty much my favorite thing. This tiny camper has been so much fun. One thing I have not seen much of here as far as modifications go is replacing the axle for bigger tires. We did that a few years ago and I cannot tell you how much of a difference it has made. No more blowing tiny tires!! Easier trailering behind SUV, too. Replaced stabilizer legs in the back with longer versions and moved the shorter ones to the front. Love it. IMG_2126.JPG

2. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

welcome jenmenke, that's a beautiful little Columbia in what is definitely an idyllic setting.

stem44 likes this.
  3. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Got a question for all the Columbia owners. Do you actually use the table in the popup? I've found on our last couple of trips I ended up setting up the table under the awning for an outdoor eating area without having to move the picnic table to get it out of the rain (we seem to have the best luck in always having at least one day/night of rain on our trips). We've found that (obviously) there is quite a bit more room in the popup without it. I would just leave it home but it does come in handy outside. The few times we eat in the popup is usually just morning coffee or late night snacks (away from the bugs). Just curious if others find the table handy/convenient inside the pup. Of course it also helps, it's only the two of us so never need it for the bed space.

4. jenmenke

jenmenke New Member

We ALWAYS put the table outside. (We disperse camp most often so there are no other tables.) Even when there is a picnic table, we take it out so that we can move around easier. We would miss it if we left it at home tho.

5. jenmenke

jenmenke New Member

Hey Fuzzy -- I notice you are on here a lot and I saw in an earlier post that you replaced a ton of things on your 1984. We also have a 1984. A few years ago I removed the galley kitchen and replaced it with a simple open shelf for our bags. Have never regretted it. Now I want to replace the vinyl floor.

I have the seats and shelf removed (fairly easy) but I can't figure out how to remove the plastic floor molding or the thin side panels to get at the edges of the original flooring. I guess I'd like to remove that and put down new stuff over the floor so that it behaves exactly like the original, but I can't figure out how do to that -- or if it's even worth it. What are your thoughts? I think the biggest obstacle is the door threshold. I don't want anything sticking up there and looking crappy. I tried to remove it but it isn't budging.

My other pet peeve is the dust that creeps in EVERYWHERE. Is there any real solution to this?

6. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

I'm hoping to open mine up this weekend to do a few things I'll take a look at the molding and door threshold and see if I can figure it out. I'm planning on a new flooring either this fall or in the spring so it's something I'll have to look into. I was thinking of just going over the old flooring since taking that up and getting the glue and all cleaned is probably more work than I want to do but I'll lay out the new flooring first and see if it will lay right over the old stuff. I'm thinking of using the vinyl plank interlocking flooring.

7. CobraII351

CobraII351 New Member

Finally got the PUP out for the first time this year. I was getting the TV all fixed up and had a few upgrades to the PUP. Biggest was the replacement of the Factory electric heater with a Propane furnace. Also made a new tarp canopy/Awning. We were at Black Moshannon State Park in PA.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tmpIzxtsAwDDUrE72

8. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

@ jenmenke, sorry I haven't gotten back to this thread. So far every weekend we've had rain so I haven't gotten the pup opened since my last post. I'm hoping to get it opened up to do the fall clean out before I put it to bed for the winter then I'll take a look at the issues we were discussing.

Cobra, nice setup. I like the awning giving you so much room in the wetter weather. Ours is the factory and while it's nice to have it gets crowded under there real quickly.

9. cityblazein

cityblazein New Member

Hello all, I have owned my 1991 Coleman Columbia for a couple of years now and love it to death. I am in the process servicing the suspension and am in need of changing the springs. Would anyone happen to know what would be the proper replacement leaf springs? I've tried researching a lot on line but can't quite figure it out.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  10. Schecter517

Schecter517 New Member

So I just bought a 1990 Columbia 2 weeks ago and its awesome! But unfortunately I backed up into a pole when parking and I cracked the rear body panel and tail light lens. Does anyone know where to get replacement parts and/or know to to fix this themselves? its plastic I believe and I was thinking maybe some type of plastic repair/welding or fiberglass repair? would that work to fix it?

stem44 likes this.
  11. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Schecter517 likes this.
  12. LeoL

LeoL New Member

On the fence (here’s video of inside & outside inspection of what may be my New-to-Me 1990 Columbia Camper) . . .
    I posted this to the The Camper - In The GarageCamper Restoration Projects list/thread as well.
    I was offered this 1990 Fleetwood Coleman Columbia Pioneer pop up “free.” Like being offered a free horse. I only do serious camping maybe four times a year and live in Chicago. My Honda Insight hybrid can move this around short flat distances. Longer (i.e., 800 mile trips with lots of ups and downs would concern me with regards to brakes and transmission). Travel companions often have trucks and this trailer is under 1,000 lbs.

Biggest Concern: Wondering if the mouse urine smell will ever go away if all bedding, drapes, and canvass are replaced. Lysol spray may be my new friend.

I appreciate any thoughts & comments. Especially from those who have been down this path before. BTW, thanks to all those who have posted stuff in the past threads. Very helpful. E-Trailer too! Although Farm & Fleet may get the tire, wheel, and bearing work.

I figure . . .
    Priorities will cost ($2000 with major costs and nickels & dimes):
    Canvas $900
    Tires, Wheels & Bearings (repacked or replaced) $300
    Duct taping body damage cracks
    12 Volt Lighting - will use temp tow lights

Inspection Notes:
    ~ Overall: dry interior and solid roof
    ~ Driver Side Kick Down Stabilizer Jack Stuck $30
    ~ Safety Latch - Anti roll roof down broke $23
    ~ Drive Hub Pin broken on one hub $7
    ~ Tent Support Tip - Dowel for support rod $4-$6
    ~ Outside electrical cable hatch cover $7-$11
    ~ Body damage - Got a heat gun & fabrication skills
    ~ Tires, wheels & bearings (repacked or replaced) $300
    ~ Canvas shot $900
    ~ Haven’t even unrolled awning
    ~ All bedding shot or in need of bon fire cleansing
    ~ Needs thorough cleaning $Blood, Sweat & Tears
    ~ No crank $15 - $50 (depending on how retro/fancy I get)
    ~ Missing Kick Down Jack Handle to lock descending jacks $10
    ~ Exterior lights did not work with four flat $Got an Electric Guy
    ~ Expanda-bed center lift hinge screws ripped out - repairable

13. samh

samh Campin'

It all kind of comes down to your budget. I paid $350 for our camper with the intent of trying to keep total spending on it to somewhere around $2,000 to $2,500. The canvas on it is in decent shape though so I shouldn't need to make that major investment. So far I've spent roughly $1,800 (including original purchase price).

14. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

That camper can be saved it's dirty new canvas,tires'bedding,cushions & an hour with a pressure washer you will have a nice little pup. You will be able to get rid of the smell. Plenty of bleach & elbow grease with some air time. Good luck sent us some pictures

15. Mrs Nuocmam

Mrs Nuocmam New Member

Ok- I don't own a Columbia :( However, I do have a 1990 Coleman Sequoia. I have been scouring the sight looking for any info on the safety latch mechanism on the front of the camper that locks in after raising. I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like when it's locked in and the pieces just seem to move independently and don't appear to have any real purpose. Is this something the Columbia has? Any info you could give an "outsider" would be greatly appreciated! :)

16. samh

samh Campin'

No such locking mechanism on our Columbia (1983).

17. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

This link should help.
    http://www.campersolutions.com/home/help-my-roof-won-t-lower
    http://www.campersolutions.com/home/videos

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  18. Mrs Nuocmam

Mrs Nuocmam New Member

Thanks! I will check it out

19. Vidnovic

Vidnovic New Member

Here’s my ‘95 in the Navajo Nation this past spring. 263405D7-1245-422A-B85C-66C5D696EC7D.jpeg

20. wayoutwest

wayoutwest Member

I wish I had known this thead was here, I would have joined this club several years ago

We got our '88 off Craigslist after several months of looking, $400 as a real fixer upper. It was a fun project, some little things I would have done different in hindsight but I like the little camper.

Hopefully the pics/link in my sig still work

Chris