Coleman Columbia owners club.

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by EvilM0nkey, Sep 18, 2011.

1. MaddMary

MaddMary New Member

Hello. I’ve recently taken ownership of my parents 1985/86 Coleman Columbia Tent Trailer. My husband and I have begun renovating it, starting with the roof (there’s some water damage). I’m curious if anyone knows where to get the roof corner caps for this model of pop-up.

2. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Yes, the plug is only for the interior lights (at least on mine). My Columbia is a bit older than yours so may be different. I believe the original premise of the plug was to be able to plug it into the tow vehicle to power the lights (not necessarily a good idea to draw down the TV's power). I don't have a picture of the battery setup since my pup is stored away right now since we are unable to use it at the present time. On mine the wiring is very basic from the factory and I had to improvise to get power to the lights etc. What I did was attach a 12V cigarette lighter plug that I got from an auto parts store to the battery box wired into the battery to plug the power cord into.

When I mentioned the independent line, I ran a + & - wire under the trailer from the battery box and up into the storage area under the dinette seat and mounted a fuse block same as in a regular car to run wires to some of the other 12V systems that I mentioned. .
    fuse block.jpg

The power center on mine (most others have a power converter that converts 110V to 12V) is only 110V so I needed to find a way to power my 12V systems.
    Power center.jpg

As for the fridge, mine does not have one and never did, so I am less sure of the mechanics of powering that. I do believe if you want to run it on 12V while towing then you would need more than the 4way connector to the tow vehicle since you would need a dedicated power line to hook into (hopefully others with more knowledge can chime in on this). The 4 way connector only powers the driving lights on the pop up (running, brake and turn signals).

Hope this helps a little and that others with the same year as yours will step in to clear up what you are looking to do.
    Good luck

3. LRyan66

LRyan66 Member

Thanks, again! Yes, I believe there is supposed to be a 12v plug at the tongue, to connect to a similar plug in the TV, to be able to charge the fridge in transit. I can't seem to find one, and not sure if this year should have one.

EDIT: Found it! The wires were shoved inside a small gap in the coupler.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  4. LRyan66

LRyan66 Member

Would you mind sharing some photos of your battery box? I finally found the 12v wires shoved deep under the coupler.

5. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

I'll pull the battery box out this weekend and get some pics. I have it stored in the garage on the battery tender and will have to move some stuff to get to it to take the pictures.

6. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Not sure if this is the right one for your year camper but found these on colemanpopupparts.com
    https://colemanpopupparts.com/products/roof-corner-cap-4-pack

7. LRyan66

LRyan66 Member

I really appreciate it!!

8. Tz0604

Tz0604 New Member

New to the Columbia pop up club via Pittsburgh
    check out our rig before and after

Attached Files:

9. LRyan66

LRyan66 Member

Replaced my stabilizer jacks today! Tomorrow, replacing the door seals, which are cracked and brittle. Had to buy a rivet gun, and learn how to use it!

10. LRyan66

LRyan66 Member

Removed the canvas on our 1988 Coleman Columbia, cleaned and lubed the rails, etc. And noticed that, under the canvas rails, the wood on the interior ceiling is damp and shredding in places. There's absolutely no water damage to the floor (checked under the trailer, as well) or the beds, so I don't think there is an actual leak. Everything inside the trailer, below the canvas rails, is bone dry and in excellent condition. But clearly, moisture is getting into the roof.

I looked at some roof repair/rebuild threads on this forum. Unfortunately, most of what I found had photos that were no longer available, and reading about it is completely confusing without photos.

My question is, does this sound like something that needs attention immediately, given that there is no water damage anywhere else? Can I get away with this for a year or two? And does anyone know if there is a good thread, with current photos, I could look at, in the event I want to tackle a rebuild further down the line? I am moderately handy, but only recently so and still learning.

Thanks in advance.

11. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

LRyan66 here are the pics of the setup on my battery box for hooking up the 12V line from the trailer. On my Columbia the tongue is too small to mount the battery box and the LP tank so we carry the battery box in TV until we reach the campsite. Once there I put it on the tongue and do the hookups. I have the plug for the 12V as shown in the pics, and a plug in setup for the wires going to the fuse block I mentioned in my earlier posts, as well as a hookup for a small solar panel.

Batt Box 1.jpg Batt Box 2.jpg Batt Box 3.jpg Batt Box 4.jpg

Attached Files:

12. LRyan66

LRyan66 Member

Thanks for posting these. What's the cigarette lighter outlet for?

13. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

The cord that comes from my pup to power the interior lights uses a cigarette lighter plug. I mounted the outlet to plug this into the battery. As I mentioned, my Columbia is a few years older than yours so things might be different on yours. The picture below shows the cord coming out of the canvas that plugs into the cord to power the interior light. As you can see, it ends in a 12V cigarette lighter style plug which I run to the battery box and plug into the outlet I installed in there.

20160417_161909.jpg