Coleman Columbia owners club.

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by EvilM0nkey, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

The awning is just a bag awning. 7 Foot. Carefree of Colorado or A&E makes them but be prepared they are not cheap. You can expect to pay $300+ for a new one.As far as the setup of it the only supports are the front bar (that the posts fold into) and the posts themselves.To eliminate sag you need to pull the guy lines tighter...but still expect some sag.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

How do you get to the crank-hole with all that stuff on the tongue?

3. sg1215

sg1215 my God, my Country, my Family, my Friends, myself

I take the tire off, the 2 boxes and the back propane bottle. I have a drill to raise and lower.

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Years ago another member made an extender for the crank shaft on his Columbia. It used a piece of pipe and a universal joint from a socket set. Since you are using a drill to raise the roof, maybe you could extend the shaft under the tongue and then you wouldn't have to move everything to setup.

5. cico7

cico7 Friend request denied.

When I bought mine, I asked the guy I bought the trailer from if the one in the middle
    was for a PTO. Mine has 2 crank points. The one in the center at the bottom and
    another upper right corner. Is that usual?

6. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I know the 87s have the upper crank point but I did not know they had two crank points.

7. sg1215

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply. Taking the propane tank and boxes off is no big deal. I need them in the campsite anyway. I wish the rest of the setup was as easy as taking the stuff off the tongue. One thing I can't do without is the socket I made for the drill to raise and lower the top. I know I would not have the pop up now if I still had to crank it up. I've learned a lot on this site.

8. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

My 89 has two crank points.

9. cico7

cico7 Friend request denied.

Heat!

[​IMG]

I got the tough buddy, 18,000 BTU's

10. coach32765

coach32765 New Member

reading this thread brought back some fond memories. Years back DD and I went camping with my parents. The idea was to have a fun weekend getaway combined with putting us in close proximity to a company that sold toppers for our new Mitsubishi pu. long story short we did not get the topper but did come home with a brand new Columbia (this probably was 1986). We camped all over in that pup. Took it to Texas hill country, western Pa.,N.C. mountains and all over Fl. The beginning of many years of camping adventures Thanks

11. punkyream@yahoo.com

punkyream@yahoo.com New Member

Hello fellow campers, I have the canvas you need. We had ordered a new canvas for our Columbia, but then just parted out the camper. The canvas is still in the box! We also still have the screen door, the curtains, the table, owners manual and a few small parts. Anyone needing any of this PLEASE call me 812-239-6324 Mary

12. abbadackerygirl

abbadackerygirl Alabama...yeah it's better than you think.

Woot! Just got me an '82. Big surprise for the husband when he gets home from Kuwait, lol.

Hoping to get a lot done on it. So far, can't seem to get the darn thing up. Took it to an RV place and they said they couldn't fix it, grr. It looks like the little piece that holds the worm gear is stripped.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement part?

13. abbadackerygirl

Electrical conduit is your friend. You can use it to make your own, with a tarp. When all is said and done on mine, I will show you what I did.

14. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

ANy bag awning will work provided it isn't too long. Are you looking for the whiffletree or chain and sprocket connecting the lift points?

15. stp1971

stp1971 New Member

I'm in. I have a '84 Columbia that I have had since about 2001. Still has the original canvas and the original interior. Bought new canvas in 2010 from Bear Creek but haven't put it on yet. I want to the the roof off and try to fix a couple spots were the wood is rotting some. No leaks I can tell so it was either leaking in the past and fixed or it's from just old age. I also have the four corner pieces to replace the cracked ones.

Bought the stuff to redo the door edge for the canvas tracks along with the cable support slides to hang the door.

I have seen some if the awesome work you all have put into your Columbia popups. Really like the AC set up under the bench that was done and would like to do that as well.

Hopefully I will be able to fix mine up as well as all of yours to keep the wife happy and save another house mortgage trying to finance another camper.

16. sg1215

my Columbia has a sink but no holding tank. I can't decide whether to take the sink out or not when I redo the inside.
    Did anybody else agonize over this?

17. clayracr44

clayracr44 New Member

Hi everyone. In nov I purchased a 1990call columbia. It was in great condition considering the yeah. It didn't have a awning but every thing els was there. The gas didn't work so I put a new regulator on it so now that work great. I removed all the rims, sanded, and painted them. They now look like new. I also replaced the water inlet thing on the out side and a new power cable cover for the out side as well. New strip of plastic down the middle. Added a battery on the front. Replaced the particle board under the sink/stove with plywood.re-sealed the top with that coolzone reflective white paint and painted the sides light tan. I just ordered new graphics for the side. (Updated to new rv style. Silver/tan/white swhooch style) should be delivered by this friday. Also just ordered a new bag awning from RVAWNINGRUS . Less then 200.00 delivered. Made bye shademaked. Johnny was great on the phone and I highly regimens them.
    It is 6 ft awning. My family and I are planning on taking it on its first outing the end of march to fort wilderness at fiends world. I can't wait. By the way mine also has what seems like 2new crank points but after researching it the bottom is for a safety latch. Mine was missing so I replaced that also. I have some picks when I first purchased it so I will take some when its finished this weekend I hopeto get them posted sometime next week. I found some Coleman suppliers on the web so hit me up if have questions. I also have the owners manual. Have a great night

P.S. I know how to spell but I am using my DROID so it autocorects my words. Sorry

18. abbadackerygirl

Welcome!

Woo Friends World! Yeah, I feel your droid pain.... [:(O]

19. clayracr44

clayracr44 New Member

Where in kuwait is your hubby? My job is to deploy soldiers. Most go to camp AJ with 3rd Army (ARCENT). I am also in the military (Army)

20. abbadackerygirl

Camp Buehring? Is that how you spell it? [LOL] He's in 1st Cav.

If you can deploy them, can you bring them home again? [;)] His was the only unit who didn't come home from Iraq. [V]