Coleman Columbia owners club.

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by EvilM0nkey, Sep 18, 2011.

1. hawkedshad

hawkedshad Member

We bought this new in 1990 and still using it. This was at Elk Neck State Park, MD last month.

[​IMG]

2. CrustyCamper

CrustyCamper New Member

We bought a 1989 Columbia for our daughter last week . It's in very nice condition overall , but I do need to build some outside storage options . I think it will be fine for her small family as a starter , maybe more . Although she's always been free to use our motorhome , it's way to big for her comfort level .....and at 8 mpg she couldnt travel very far . After reading what I have on the Columbia , I think it's going to work out well .

3. samh

samh Campin'

Our 1983 Coleman Columbia. Excited to be part of the club!

[​IMG]

4. gogodawgs

gogodawgs New Member

Have an 82-83. Just painted it to match the JK

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. josh12730

josh12730 New Member

Just brought home my 91. Previous owner removed the galley kitchen stuff. Thinking about putting something back in. Other than that she's good to go.

Attached Files:

6. samh

samh Campin'

I look forward to following your progress here on the forums should you decide to fix up the galley. Welcome to the club.

7. josh12730

josh12730 New Member

Thanks. Im going to post some inside shots in the next few days and try to get some ideas. In the picture you can see the sheet metal square that the previous owner rigged up a way to us a window air conditioner unit. Im not sure if I will ever really need to use it, but its a nice option.

8. iflyos

iflyos RC aircraft, playing radio, and camping

I just brought home a 1987 Columbia in great shape. Awning, screen room,, water tank, it's all there and functional. Electric all checks out, water works with no leaks, I got lucky with this one.

I do have a question..when. using the onboard water tank and pump faucet, should I loosen the fill cap on the tank? It seems like if I dont, it'll create a vacuum and stop drawing water.

Anyway, the wife wants to recover the cushions, but otherwise we are gonna leave the interior alone since it's in such great shape. I do want to add a storage battery, and we may have to do an AC, since DS is sensitive to heat, and needs a place to escape every so often. Does anyone have a roof mounted ac, and if so, do you have extra bracing in the roof?

As far as adding a battery goes, should I have a connector near the tounge already? I am not opposed to running new cable for a battery. I am an electronics tech/low voltage electrician by trade, and have done quite a bit of mobile wiring in the past, installing communications gear and car stereo.

There is a Jeep theme for sure here, my current Jeep/tow rig is pictures below.

Attached Files:

9. samh

samh Campin'

Welcome to the Columbia club, iflyos. That's a great looking rig there. I'd recommend posting those questions specifically to the area of the forum designed for them. The water and AC questions won't be specific to the Columbia so you'll get a bunch of good answers from folks who have other brands of trailers. I've seen a number of threads regarding adding an AC unit and how to properly brace it so do some searching for that one.

10. iflyos

iflyos RC aircraft, playing radio, and camping

Thanks for the heads up, Sam.

FWIW, I found the battery connector at the tongue..it was tucked up in the frame. After looking at it, and the associated wiring, I am just going to pull new 8ga wire to the converter, and be done with it. While I don't anticipate a heavy 12v load, it will be nice knowing the capacity is there if I need it. While I don't do boondocking in the traditional sense, many of the events I attend and camp at are without hookups, though bathhouses are available. In the past, I used a couple of 50A/H SLA batteries for my power needs in the tent.

Family camping is a different story..DW has to have some convenience items, LOL, which will necessitate us camping with hookups, and of course DS's heat issue.

I am glad to be a part of the "cool" group of campers! I have always liked the older Colemans, and the Columbia is a perfect fit for our needs!

11. travisma

travisma New Member

This is our 86. Haven't had to do a lot to it yet. Put new tires/rims on it, cleaned and repacked the bearings and replaced the seals. I did coat the roof with some left over mobile home roof coating I had leftover from sealing my screen room roof.

I would like to replace the dome light with an LED array.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. samh

samh Campin'

Thanks so much for sharing a couple pictures, travisma. With those new wheels and that coat of roof paint it looks nearly new!

13. wwaldrep

wwaldrep New Member

How do I join the Coleman Columbia Owners Club? I am the original owner. Purchased it in 1983. Took my son camping for the first time (for both of us) in a tent and the next day went out and bought the Columbia. I have recently got it back out for grandkids to enjoy with their parents ( my son and daughter).

Attached Files:

14. samh

samh Campin'

Well it's not an official club, wwaldrep, but by sharing that photo with us I'd say you're now a member! That's really great to hear you're the original owner going back to '83!

15. ddem

ddem New Member

Is there a Colonial Club?

16. EvilM0nkey

EvilM0nkey Camping fo free!

Well my little Columbia sure is different from the first post!
    Just got back from it's inaugural trip after the roof rebuild.

[​IMG]20150719_165243 by Ross, on Flickr

[​IMG]20150720_195341 by Ross, on Flickr

17. 2002sheds

2002sheds Member

Hi All,
    Wow, so many cool Columbias !!! My wife, son and I have camped 5 times in ours since purchasing it last year. I love the jewel box nature of the trailer, and the fact that most any car can tow it.
    Has anyone out there moved the dinette to where the galley usually lives? We are in California, so our climate is mild enough to facilitate outdoor cooking all year long. I have already removed the sink and stove (I have kept them in case we change our mind or some future owner wants to tale it back to original), but this school year we will be hosting an international exchange student, and it would be a lot easier if one of the boys did not have to climb over the dinette/bed...
    I am working on how to post a picture of our Columbia...

Thanks,
    David

18. 2002sheds

2002sheds Member

/Users/bleulucy/Desktop/Columbia July 2015.jpg

Attached Files:

19. 2002sheds

2002sheds Member

I finally kind of figured out how to add a pic (post above)... That is our son doing his best "crane" move in front of our somewhat NTU Columbia...

Thanks,
    David

20. samh

samh Campin'

Great looking little Columbia, so glad to hear it's serving your family well. Our family does nearly all of our cooking and eating outside as well. It gets cold here in Montana though so the furnace was nice to keep and since the stove is right above it I kept that as well. The sink we ditched however freeing up a bunch more floor space in that area. You can see pictures at the link below this message in my signature if you're interested.