Coleman Columbia owners club.

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by EvilM0nkey, Sep 18, 2011.

1. M-88

M-88 Member

I think I can be a part of this! Picked up a 1987 last week!

I have some questions - hopefully someone here can provide some info! The RF fender was crunched a bit and needs to be replaced. I can't find one online so I am going to have to make one out of sheet metal.

Can someone provide me with the measurements that are outlined by some colors on the below photo?

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like (though I currently have it taped off). I can straighten the front one off, but this one needs to be remade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. samh

samh Campin'

Welcome to the club. I'd recommend starting a "build thread" in the Camper Restoration Projects area and you will be able to document your refurbishing as well as get some good answers to your maintenance questions.

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=160.0

3. do0zer

do0zer New Member

I forgot to join the Columbia Club! Here is our 1986 Columbia at Hersey, PA earlier this summer. Did alot of cosmetics to it. Did some body work, paint. Rewired the lights. Flipped the axle and put larger tires on. And totally redid the interior.

We'll be at Jellystone Mill Run PA next weekend!

Attached Files:

4. samh

samh Campin'

Thanks for posting, do0zer!

5. iflyos

iflyos RC aircraft, playing radio, and camping

Nice rig, do0zer! I really like what you did with your JK.

I wanna lift my Columbia, but my 87 will require new spring perches..can't just flip it, much to my chagrin.

6. do0zer

do0zer New Member

Thanks! Its a fun toy. My 86 has a torsion axle also but the arch was almost nonexistent that I didnt worry about flipping my spring perch. I'm keeping an eye on my tires for uneven wear. I do not pack my camper with stuff to weigh it down also. Most goes in the Jeep.

7. iflyos

Maybe I need to go measure again, and see just how much arch I have. Flipping it would be a lot easier, and it would match the height of my Jeep better. I'll be interested to hear how yours works out over time

8. do0zer

do0zer New Member

That was the main reason I flipped mine. The larger tires made of camper run hundred percent better and now it's closer to my hitch height on the lifted Jeep.

9. CobraII351

CobraII351 New Member

Hello All, new owner here. I was given a Columbia by my brother-in-law that has some roof and canvas issues. The rest of it is in great shape for it's age. I then found and purchased another Columbia for parts for $150. I should be able to make 1 pretty decent Unit from the 2 I believe. I've used it before and it tows great behind the Outback wagon.

10. iflyos

Welcome to the club, CobraII351! Mustang guy, I bet..

Post some pictures when you get a chance, and keep us in the loop on the rebuild!

Tim

11. samh

samh Campin'

Welcome to the club, Cobra. Enjoy the franken-build combining the two trailers. And yes, please share some photos!

12. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Guess I can become a member of the Columbia club. Picked it up last week, an 84 (seller listed it as 83 but paperwork and title say its an 84) in very good shape. Just a few little things to do before our first trip in October and then its on to the winter mods planning.

[​IMG]

13. samh

samh Campin'

An absolute beauty, Fuzzy Bear! Welcome to the club.

14. iflyos

Looks great, Fuzzy!!

15. CobraII351

CobraII351 New Member

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I'm a mustang guy. I have what most people consider to be the "red headed step child" of the Mustang family a 76 Mustang II Cobra II. It has a removable hitch bar on it that I have used to pull a small utility trailer in the past. I would have more than enough power to pull the thing around.

Nice Columbia Fuzzy! Looks a lot better than the two I have pulled home. I have 2 Columbia's now an 83 and an 89.

The 83 was the nicer of the two until last year. We borrowed it and used it in October and it was fine. The roof wood need some work and it needed sealed up at the corners. My Nephew-in-law and his brother and or father screwed the pooch BAD on it and now it doesn't seal around the outside edge and the rodents have eaten the canvas and made a mess of it. But it was free so I can't complain too much except for the mess the family made out of it. It has the full factory insides to it and it all is in decent shape.

The 89 was a $150 special. Canvas also eaten by rodents but on the outside the nicer of the 2 units. it is missing the Galley and base cabinet. It's main saving grace was it has 2 brand new wheels and tires on it. I Like the bed setup on the rear bed of the this one. It has the piece that hinges up and over instead of the 2 drop in pieces like the 83. It makes for a little more storage inside.

Since both have bad canvas it looks like I'm buying a full new set. Looking and reading Bear Creek Canvas seems to be everyone's favorite. And they look to be the cheapest. Anyone have any issues with form and fit? I was hoping to get one of them out before the end of the season this year but will all the canvas in the trash Looks like it will be next year before we get to take one out.

16. Snowfam

Snowfam New Member

hopefully picking one up on Wednesday. Cant wait!!!

17. Glensdad

Glensdad New Member

I love all of the pics and rebuild stories here. Haven't made many mods to our 1990 and it still looks like new. Some day I'll have one of the youngins show me how to post pictures. Happy Camping

18. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Nice wheels, Fuzzy!

19. CobraII351

CobraII351 New Member

Here is a picture of the secondary tow vehicle. Hope to use the PUP to hit some car shows a little farther out and not have to pay for a hotel. I pull this little utility trailer to Carlisle for the All Ford show there every year.

Tim

[​IMG]

20. iflyos

Sweet!!