Coleman Columbia owners club.

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by EvilM0nkey, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

nice ride Iflyos, just remember when the PUP is back there before you do a burn out [:D]

2. iflyos

iflyos RC aircraft, playing radio, and camping

It's not mine, Fuzzy..it belongs to the other Tim, Cobra351II

Although, my ride is blue, but it's a Jeep, and doesn't have the awesome racing strips!

3. moon

moon New Member

OK 'imma join up...

I bought a '86 Columbia 3 weeks ago. I had decided on a Coleman & specifically the '80s (budget considerations) Pioneer series for the small box size nine months ago. My preference being the Jamestown model with only one bunk/bed. The Redwood was my second choice with the single size rear bunk/bed & the Columbia was my third with 2 double beds. I am single & live alone so I don't need a second bed but could see using a rear one for storing stuff while camping. I was happy to get the Columbia. I found the marked for used PUP's here in Los Angeles to be expensive and narrowing the pickings down to a specific model(s) made it worse. Also these smaller models are becoming very popular here. On the down side, my lift system broke 3 days after I got it & I have had no clue were to start with the repair. I'm starting to figure it out now but it will have to wait a couple weeks until I finish restoring the interior of my '70 Chevy C10 truck aka The Tow Vehicle.

The PUP has a bunch of little things that need repair & I have a few mods in mind to suit my needs, but that stuff is on the back burner, as I can't lift the roof up right now. But I intend to ejoy the process of whipping it into shape. Even if I don't know what I'm doing... [:D]

[​IMG]

4. CobraII351

CobraII351 New Member

Welcome Moon!

Leave me know if you need lift parts. I have a spare Columbia that I am using for parts right now.

Tim

5. moon

moon New Member

Thank you. There are a couple other items I need aside from whatever may turn up with the lift system. For one. I need whatever sliding bits are need for the cable & slide system used to hang the door to the ceiling when closing up up the pup. I have the cables on the door, the tracks on the ceiling & the bracket on the side of the roof, bur NOT whatever it is that's supposed to be attached to the other end of the cable and slid on the rails.

6. CobraII351

CobraII351 New Member

7. iflyos

If no one else gets to it first, I am headed out camping this weekend, so I will get some good pictures of the cable and retainer in mine. Hopefully that will help some.

Tim, by chance, would your parts Columbia have the overhead light fixture in it?

The other Tim

8. CobraII351

CobraII351 New Member

I actually have plans to use that light as a second light in the PUP I fix up. Sorry.

Tim

9. iflyos

No worries, that's what I wanted it for as well! I have a couple other options, but had thought I would try to stay "period correct," since I got so lucky with the condition of my Columbia.

10. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

CobraII I was finishing loading up the PUP in preparation for our leaving on Friday for the holiday weekend and took a pic of the rollers on my 84 Columbia door. As you can see it's different from the ones shown on the parts page you referenced. It's basically 2 small fiber wheels that run along the track attached to the cables to the door.

[​IMG]

11. CobraII351

CobraII351 New Member

OK, yeah I see what was there. But are those parts still available? If not will the part I posted a link to work?

Tim

12. M-88

M-88 Member

A bit late here - but this was my first trip with my Columbia over labor day weekend.

It did pretty good! I did get a bit of a dent on the back of it trying to maneuver through a mud hole, out the side into my favorite spot. Beats sleeping in the back of the Cherokee like I usually do.

In the spring I plan on yanking the power center and just using an inverter, mounting some batteries on the tongue, removing the stove and making it so I can take it outside, adding a door so I can use the right side over-the-wheel storage and a small receiver for a bike rack in the back!

Before: [​IMG]

On the way home: [​IMG]

Camping Spot: [​IMG]

Did a little bit of off roading with the camper attached: [​IMG]

I learned that connecting the AC power to the power inverter would run the power center as well as the plugs and kill the battery. Used some jumper cables to bring the battery back: [​IMG]
    [/quote]

13. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Cobra, not sure if that new slide will work on the existing track but it looks like it might. I did some searching and didn't find an exact replacement for the factory ones. Possibly contact them and see if they have the older ones available. Otherwise I think they sell the track also that goes with the one you linked to so you could just replace it all.

M88 nice rig.

14. samh

samh Campin'

Awesome.

15. dandm7475

dandm7475 Learning the pop up ropes...please be patient...

Help our NTU 90 Columbia has AC in the roof and the paneling in front of it is wet! The contact paper is sagging really bad. I don't know where to start checking for the source of the leak. How do I access the area? Can I do it without removing the entire roof? Is there a how-to somewhere that I can't find? Thanks in Advance! Donald and Melissa

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Often, one source of leaks is the gasket on the a/c, they need to be replaced every now and again.

Here is a section to look in, and maybe post your question there. (Not everyone reads all the sections and specific repair questions, with a suitable subject heading help to elicit answers.) :
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=53.0

17. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

These old PUPS are cute little buggers!

18. Miller

Miller '96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd

Thoughts anyone?

There is a free Columbia about an hour from me...should I go grab it?

Miller
    [PU]

19. Miller

Miller '96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd

[PU]
    It is a 1983 Coleman Columbia being offered free. It's an hour away, I want it!

Any suggestions, opinions, thoughts or recommendation's and or advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

"Man's got to know his Limitations."
    [MOD]

20. samh

samh Campin'

The Craigslist post doesn't have any pictures so it's hard to tell just what shape its in. The price is right though and if you're the fix-er-upper type of person it could be a lot o fun.