Coleman Columbia owners club.

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by EvilM0nkey, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Miller

Miller '96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd

[PUC] [PUT] [MOD]
    Hi Samh!

Ya all my thoughts too, pic would be nice but the kid in me & love of projects is to overwhelming.
    He says interior is great...OK why free? Roof is the issue and comes with new light set. All this intrigue is to tantalizing to ignore.
    Trying to convince my wife now, I will need a partner to follow and bring up the rear to tow it home. No lights nor temp type plate for this situation.
    Her argument against is exactly why I want it LOL!!!

Another divorce catalyst project LOL!!!

Thanks, I will keep this thread informed as my plan develops or unravels.

-Miller
    "Man's got to know his limitations." D.Harry

2. samh

samh Campin'

Share some photos of it here if you get it. And let us know if you document a rebuild - I really enjoy following those.

3. Miller

I wish I had good news to report but as of today I am still not able to justify the hour drive one way with someone in convoy to tow home another PUP project.
    Bummer.
    I do have this Palamino Filly RG, 1993 to try to get to this summer.
    [:D]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Is this the pup your referring to? http://newlondon.craigslist.org/rvs/5376263654.html

It looks like a nice little project camper and as was stated the price is definitely right. It's way to far for me to travel for something like that (Around a 2 hour drive one way for me), though if I hadn't already bought mine I would probably have considered it (without telling the DW of course, I like to surprise her especially when it's something that would get me in trouble [:D]).

5. Miller

Good morning Fuzzy!!
    Yes that's the one...I almost did the surprise route, unfortunately my surprise track record is poor at best and erred on the side of caution...I do have a yard, garage, attic and basement of projects she is putting up with LOLhttp://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p622/millerwhite72/IMG_20151204_161316664_zpsu0ij6nci.jpg!
    I do want a Columbia though...something about that particular Coleman and era of.

Have a good one! Still siked I have reservations for Wells State Park end of July early August!!!

6. samh

samh Campin'

It's not the brand or model of rig we sleep in, but that we're getting outside and enjoying nature and ourselves that matters.

7. Miller

X 2 To That!

8. joemail8

joemail8 New Member

Re: Coleman Columbia owners club

Hello all! Purchased an 86 Columbia a couple years back for the steep price of $40 (and a half rack of beer), so you know I had some work to do. No canvas, no cabinetry, no sink, no stove, no problem. Just a shell and the bench/table/bed setup. I bought some Sunbrella canvas and sewed my little beauty square, with the intention of eventually Frankensteining her into even more space.

If I have a free item from this popup, can I post it here or only in the classifieds section? It'd be for local pickup. Los Angeles.

Thanks!

Here's Shelly

Better pics to come

Attached Files:

9. Miller

Shelly is awesome!!!
    I like you went square and kept it to what you need and did it yourself!!! Great looking and I see a lot of work done!!!
    Reminds me to keep thinking outside the box...see what I did there? LOL!!
    I can't wait to see more pics!!
    Thanks!!!
    The price was excellent!!! Domestic or imported beer?

-Miller

10. samh

samh Campin'

That's going to be a really fun project. And heckuva price too!

11. joemail8

joemail8 New Member

Thank you both! It was Bud Light...his choice. :)

I'll detail more of what I'm up to in the future.

Joe

12. jpaul

jpaul Member

Joe
    I saved the old canvas when my Daughter re canvased her Columbia. I was planning to send it to the East Coast to a portal member but the cost for shipping is too much. I'm n Los Angeles so this may be of interest to you. It is free

13. Miller

PaulNPam That is awesome of you!!!

14. joemail8

joemail8 New Member

I just returned from a visit with Paul and am the lucky new owner of a set of canvas for my '86 Columbia! Simply amazing and generous. Paul thanks for your generosity and the great conversation. Restoring this camper on a dime continues! ...now, to find bed rails at a good price so I can restore the beds!

Joe

15. Miller

So cool!!!!! Awesome it worked out Paul and Joe!!!
    I am super stoked to see this connection and others great and small all happening thru the portal community!!!
    Game On! Camp On!!

16. jshorn384

jshorn384 New Member

Has anyone rewired the harness with a 7 way. I'd like to wire my '91 Columbia through a junction box on the tongue but I'm not sure the best way to access the wires that are in the frame. Any help is appreciated with locations of where they go in the frame, diagrams, poorly drawn pictures, whatever you have. Thanks.

17. JaydeRaven

JaydeRaven New Member

(cross posted from new owners)

Hope you don't mind, but I am the proud new owner of a 1988 Coleman Columbia as of... yesterday!
    I'm sure I will have more questions, but I'm trying to figure things out via google and, well, bumbling around. We brought it home and set it up, but didn't have much time to explore, as it was threatening to dump on us at any time.

The previous owner said he never used a battery, so there is no battery with it.

We would like a battery, even willing to go buy a marine battery and trickle charger. Our big question is... where the heck does it go? There doesn't seem to be a compartment for it... or did we (being totally clueless newbs) miss it?

I found the tail that appears to be for the battery (though I have NO idea how to hook that sucker up to a battery... that's another question). I found the 1988 Coleman Columbia manual online, but regarding the battery, it's about as clear as mud or my brain is fried (entirely possible). [RTM]

18. iflyos

iflyos RC aircraft, playing radio, and camping

The Columbia's didn't come with a battery on-board. Instead, there was the pigtail (that you found) and a plug that attached to the pigtail and plugged into the cigarette lighter of the tow vehicle.

Those (like me) that have added an on-board battery have done it several different ways. I use a sealed gel-cell under the street side dinette bench, similar to how SamH did his, though my overall electrical layout is different, since I retained the ability to plug in to shore power.

The best thing to do is browse the Mod thread, and look at what others have done. Then you can decide how to proceed..

Tim

19. samh

samh Campin'

I second that. It's a situation of doing what will best suit your needs and since the original trailer had no "best way" to do it, you're free to decide. I opted to go with a sealed AGM battery inside the trailer (in the 'street side' dinette bench) to minimize the wire distance from my solar panel as well as to minimize the heavy weight of a battery on the tongue.

20. moon

moon New Member

In my '86 Columbia, the battery is located under the road-side seat cushion. There are two wires (black & White) that are connected to the converter and come out the rear panel (#1). Those two wires connect to the battery posts: black = positive & white = negative, (#2). To use the battery power you select the "battery" option on the converter panel via the 3 way toggle switch (#3).

The power wires are connected using bolt/wing nut combination. The blots are held in place on the posts, extending about an inch out. A Battery Tender pig tail connector is also permanently attached, for easy connection & disconnect. When not in use, I remove the battery from the pup and keep in the garage on a trickle charge. The wing nuts allow for fairly easy portability.

I purchased an AGM "Universal" battery from Harbor freight ($75.00).
    link ---> http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-35-amp-hour-universal-battery-68680.html

I only use the battery for lighting & occasional device charging. After 5 days of use I still have an 80% charge left. Typically the step light is on all night, interior (LED) light is on 3-4 hours and there is also a bed side florescent lantern plunged in. If you need power for a furnace and/or refrigeration I'm sure you will have to go will a higher capacity battery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]