Coleman Columbia owners club.

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by EvilM0nkey, Sep 18, 2011.

1. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Yum, that doesn't look safe. Batteries need ventilation, that's why they are mounted outside.

2. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Took me a while to figure it all out on my 84 Columbia but with the useful posts on this site I'm heading down the home stretch to 12V power. I added a deep cycle battery and box that will sit on the tongue when camped (it's too big to permanently mount and still have room for the LP bottle so will figure out a carry option when on the road, probably in the back of the truck). On the battery box I added a 12V plug wired into the battery for the pig tail run to plug in. This runs only my 2 new LED ceiling lights. Last Saturday before we got deluged with rain I ran a second run of 10guage wires under the PUP and up through the floor to a fuse block and ground strip I installed under the dinette seat. From this I will run to a couple of 12V plugs, a pair of USB plugs for charging I-Pad and cell phones and a voltage meter to keep an eye on the battery charge. The other end of this run will go through a quick disconnect to the battery. I also permanently mounted the pigtail from the battery tender so I can hook everything up and unhook without ever opening the battery box. When the rain finally stops later this week and I get it back opened up I'll take some pics.

3. samh

samh Campin'

AGM batteries are sealed and don't need ventilation, Steve.

4. moon

moon New Member

The battery is never in the pup other than when the pup is set up & I'm using it. Otherwise, it's stored and charged in the garage never in the pup. It's transported to & from camp in my tow vehicle.

My understanding is the AGM battery only emit gas if & when they are overcharged. IF they do discharge, only a very small amount of hydrogen is released. Also, hydrogen mixes with air very readily and being lighter than air, rises to the top rather than pool at the bottom, not requiring much ventilation.

Considering the above, I believe that even IF some gas were to discharge when in use, that area offers sufficient ventilation.
    > The enclosure is fairly large in relation to the battery... about 20 cubic feet vs 1 cubic foot. I never pack it more than 1/2 so there is about 9 - 10 cubic ft of circulation room
    > I keep the opening normally used for the converter power cord open & unobstructed to the outside and it is located about a foot above the battery, you can see it in the picture.
    >There are also 2-3 other smaller opening a the other end of the box between that seat area & the bottom cabinet next to it.

5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Sorry, could not see it clearly on my iPhone. Always better to err on the side of caution in my book.

6. JaydeRaven

JaydeRaven New Member

Hmm. Lots to think on. Thank you all!

I actually found, on the tongue, where there appears to be a "spot" for a battery(for lack of a better term). It appears there WAS a battery at one point in time, but the owner before me just never had one. I found the correct battery harness, so that question is taken care of (had the pup plug, but since no battery, I didn't have the harness from the battery to the pup plug).

We won't be doing a lot of boondocking, but, when we do occasionally do so, would like to be able to have lights and charge cell phones/small macbook pro as needed (I'm self-employed, which means... yes, my work goes everywhere with me, sadly).

7. samh

samh Campin'

Post up a photo to this thread of your '88 when you get a chance. I thoroughly enjoy seeing other folks' rigs.

8. JaydeRaven

JaydeRaven New Member

I will... we're doing some radical and colorful painting this weekend (weather cooperating), so I will do before & after pictures. [:D]

Here are a few from our first set up. My "little one" is in a few.

Attached Files:

9. samh

samh Campin'

A great lookin' camper. Excited to see what your painting is going to loo like!

10. JaydeRaven

JaydeRaven New Member

Colorful... very, very colorful! [:D]

11. JaydeRaven

JaydeRaven New Member

I started posting pictures in a new thread of the re-painting/adding some color project and will continue doing so as we progress (tomorrow!)

Right now it just has the front post-cleaning, but a before, and then an after our test run to see how the paint would take to it. We were also expecting a wicked thunderstorm and didn't want to paint too much when we weren't sure when the rain was going to hit and weren't sure how long it was going to take to dry - paint took wonderfully and dried within 30 minutes, So, here is to Sunday being a serious go at getting the outside completely painted and hopefully making a good start at the inside.
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=103789.0

Our plans are the royal purple for the body, a rubberized royal blue for the top, Rustoleum sparkle blue for the wheel wells on the spare tire. The inside is going to see the cushions re-done in teal, the cabinets painted teal, new curtains (the link has a post with the fabric for the curtains), and we purchased peel & stick tile for the floor (Red Oak Parquet) (all the grays and blues were too dark for such a small space!).

12. sdn40

sdn40 Member

Awesome thread :) I dont think I will own anything other than Columbia !

[​IMG]DSC00878

[​IMG]DSC00884 by

13. JaydeRaven

JaydeRaven New Member

Love it!!! Someone else with a colorful Coleman camper!!

14. Parrot Head Billy

Parrot Head Billy New Member

I just bought a 1991 Coleman Columbia. Now what?

Bill

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. iflyos

iflyos RC aircraft, playing radio, and camping

Welcome to the club, Bill...all that's left is to camp! Well, that and let us know if you start a thread for mods/repairs/improvements, so we can all follow along.

We Columbia owners like to stick together!

Tim

16. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

After adding the battery set up last month decided to get a bit more creative with it. Added a small fuse block and grounding bar to bring the power in (my Columbia doesn't have a converter, just a 110V power center) and then put in a 12V plug/USB/Voltage meter wired in. The thread on it can be found here

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=103843.msg1052820#msg1052820

Also got rid of the old incandescent light fixture and upgraded the overhead light to LED and added a second one in the front of the camper. Next step is to go camping which we are doing this weekend at Housatonic Meadows in Sharon CT. Can't wait to get away.

17. samh

samh Campin'

Welcome to the club, Billy. Like iflyos said, we stick together so if you've got any questions share them with the group and we'll all bang heads to get any problems solved.

18. Parrot Head Billy

Thanks samh. I'm just starting to figure out things about my Columbia. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have a lot of questions.

Bill

19. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

At Housatonic Meadows SP in Sharon CT this last weekend

[​IMG]

20. Parrot Head Billy

Okay gang, I'm packing my Coleman Columbia for my first adventure. I have a question for you more experienced owners. Do you pack and store things in the cabinet beneath the sink and stove? I wasn't sure if this was usable space for two reasons. One, when traveling, that cabinet is flipped upside down. That could lead to things getting loose and becoming disorganized. And, two, does it get hot in the cabinet under the stove when the stove is in use?

Any thoughts?

Bill