Coleman Columbia owners club.

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by EvilM0nkey, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Kodiakgh

Kodiakgh New Member

That's a great question! The wife and I just got an 1983 Columbia and are going for our first trip the end of June and still not sure where to put things.

Thanks
    Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. iflyos

iflyos RC aircraft, playing radio, and camping

I store soft goods (napkins, dishtowels and dish cloths, etc) in the upper cabinet. Like you mentioned, when it flips, things get jostled around a bit, so lightweight soft stuff is best up there.

I only use the interior stove to heat water, but when I do, I do look to be sure that nothing is against the bottom of the stove. I don't pack the cabinet full, so it's usually not a concern, but better safe than sorry.

Now..when we set up, we do transfer a few things to that cabinet just for ease of use..plates, bowls, cups and utensils.

The lower cabinets have my water tank (jug), cast iron pans, pots, gas camp stove, and that sort of stuff. The street side dinette bench is where all the other similar stuff gets packed. Spices/sugar/dry creamer in a plastic shoebox, 2lb propane bottles, gas lantern, campsite games (washers, Bocce ball) Dish soap, hand soap, etc.

Thee curb side bench has all the "outdoor" stuff: Screen room, 2 freshwater hoses, awning lights, heavy duty extension cord, light duty extension cord for the awning lights, "front yard" (indoor/outdoor carpet remnant) hose for the gray water drain, trash bags, that sort of stuff.

The way we have the camper set up, all we have to grab from the house is the bin that has the camp linens and towels, our clothes, and the cooler, and we can hit the road.

If we get low on supplies that live in the camper, we restock while camping, or on the way home, and put that stuff with the linens bin so it ends up back in the camper.

I have an old Kelvinator (yep..its that old) fridge in my basement shop that I use mainly for beer and drinks. Since the coolers and such live down there when not in use, I keep the camping condiments in there, as well as several ice packs, so I can ice the cooler down before a trip, and we always have the condiments we use on the road ready to go. A few years of tent camping helped refine the system...House rules specify that if you use any condiments from the shop fridge they get replaced, or you get 40 lashes with a wet noodle [:D]

3. Kodiakgh

Kodiakgh New Member

Thanks that helped a lot. I'm sure there will be a learning curve to this pop up camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Parrot Head Billy

Parrot Head Billy New Member

Thanks iflyos. A lot of great information there. I may get a soft backpack or two (99 cent store variety) to pack the soft items into before storing in the flip up cabinet.

Bill

5. cygnet

cygnet New Member

Hey everyone! We are on our way to look at a 1990 Coleman Columbia. My friend, the seller, popped it and noticed 3 mouse holes. I have two questions: one. Can this be fixed? Two. About how much?

[​IMG]

6. sdn40

sdn40 Member

Yep. If that is Sunbrella material I believe its available at JoAnns. Google Tear Mender (adhesive) and do a search here as well. Make sure the canvas isnt dry rotted as well. The repairs could very well be under $20.

7. Parrot Head Billy

One more question: Do you guys leave 1lb Coleman propane bottles packed in the trailer between trips?

Bill

8. Parrot Head Billy

I have yet another questions. I finally hooked up my Coleman Columbia to AC power. All of the outlets seem to work, however the overhead light doesn't. I took a look at the Power Converter (MagneTek 6404) and it appears as though the 12V fuse is missing. Any ideas about how to find a replacement?

[​IMG]

Bill

9. cygnet

cygnet New Member

You made my day! She knocked $200 off the price without me even asking, so I went ahead and bought it. Little PUP is going to need some TLC, but at least it doesn't look like it needs new canvas. Thanks million!

10. iflyos

iflyos RC aircraft, playing radio, and camping

I do, But my camper lives in a very well shaded spot when it's not in use. Heck, the propane tank on the front stays on as well...

11. hawkedshad

hawkedshad Member

Quote from: cygnet on June 10, 2016, 01:56:21 PM
    Hey everyone! We are on our way to look at a 1990 Coleman Columbia. My friend, the seller, popped it and noticed 3 mouse holes. I have two questions: one. Can this be fixed? Two. About how much?

Yep. If that is Sunbrella material I believe its available at JoAnns. Google Tear Mender (adhesive) and do a search here as well. Make sure the canvas isnt dry rotted as well. The repairs could very well be under $20.
    [/quote]

12. cygnet

cygnet New Member

That's a tough price to swallow.

Thanks for the information. After googling I see that's exactly what it looks like. I bought a repair kit for camper canvas. I hope it works now!

13. hawkedshad

hawkedshad Member

Yes it was a stiff price, but as we bought it new in 1990 and plan on keeping it, we felt it was worth it.

14. davez26

davez26 New Member

You are looking for this:
    [​IMG]
    I believe the part # is Littlefuse 348007, Google that and you should be headed in the right direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. Parrot Head Billy

Thanks Davez26, that seems to be what I need.

Bill

16. jshorn384

jshorn384 New Member

That's definitely Evo material. I have the same stuff on mine with the same mouse holes. I used sail repair tape on the outside, a layer of duct tape for a close enough color match filler, and some Hurricane tape on the inside. I'll see if I can get some pics so you can see what I mean. Seems to be holding up well so far.

17. Parrot Head Billy

18. Jeanne65

Jeanne65 New Member

New here wanted to say hello and share our Columbia its newer to us and needs some tlc.

Attached Files:

19. Parrot Head Billy

Jeanne,

I just got mine two weeks ago. I guess we'll be on a parallel journey. Good luck and have fun.

Bill

20. Jeanne65

Jeanne65 New Member

Thank you Bill, this is our second season with it and its great! Hope you enjoy yours just as much!