Coleman Columbia stabilizer jack access

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by Tracey Keller, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Tracey Keller

Tracey Keller New Member

I just bought my tent trailer. The manual says to reach under and take the stabilizers down from their perch. It also says to never crawl under to do this. My problem is this, I cannot reach the stabilizer jacks unless I get under there. I would prefer not to crawl under.

Also, my camper did not come with the stabilizer jack handle. Not sure how to easily solve this problem. seems like if I had a jack handle that was flattened on one end I might be able to pry them loose with that and then jack them up to stabilize.

I have a 1987 Coleman Columbia. The stabilizers are only in the rear section, one on each corner but further in than I can reach. I don't have a picture of the underneath but they are the older style, original jacks.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

It would help to list your camper. Assuming you have the stabilizers that need the round bar to work the foot down. A picture would help, also.

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I had swing down stabs on the rear and none up front. I'd lower the front some (maybe more than some!), lower the stabs and then re-level. I think I aslo use a big screw driver as they required a rod to jack em.

I'd level trailer, lower stabs to ground, lower tongue so stabs 1-2" off ground, re-level. often used a piece of wood under each foot on soft ground. Reverse operation for take down.

add signature
    https://www.popupportal.com/account/signature

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  4. Tracey Keller

Tracey Keller New Member

Yes, I have been told they need the round bar. I was hoping that something else would work because if I order one it will take over a week to get here. Also, I can't reach them unless I crawl under which the manual specifically says not to do. Thank you!

5. Tracey Keller

Tracey Keller New Member

Thank you, I will see if that works. I will most likely be doing this by myself so it may get tricky. I too thought the a big screw driver would do the trick and maybe even assist me in "popping" them out of their underside perch/brackets. Thank you!

6. DanLee

DanLee Member

I have a Columbia. You should be able to reach the jacks by kneeling (I use a pad to save my knees) and reaching under to grasp the end of the stablizer jack toward the center of the camper. Push forward then swing the jack down. A screwdriver will serve to crank the jack up a bit. All you need to do is make sure the stabilizer jack is firmly against the ground with your camper level. Don't use it to raise the camper.

7. Tracey Keller

Tracey Keller New Member

Don't use what to raise the camper? Sorry, I'm confused. The man I bought it from crawled under on his back to pull them down but then used a giant screwdriver instead of the jack handle because there isn't one.

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Never jack a camper off the ground with any stabilizer jack ..... period. You should have swing down stabilizers .....they are held in the stored position by an internal spring .... To use this jack you have to reach down and pull the main leg forward (not down) about an inch ...then it will fold down. Now using a piece of ½ round bar, rebar, big screwdriver, old lug wench extend the leg to the ground and then only a little tension to stabilize the camper. You now can walk inside the camper and it will not flip backwards.

9. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

How big are the holes? Probably find some round stock or rebar at a big box store, as a substitute. Maybe flatten the end, if needed.

10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Half inch round bar. No need for flat end.

11. Tracey Keller

Tracey Keller New Member

yes, I have the swing down stabilizer jacks that are nested in their stored position. my two main problems are:
    1. I cannot reach the jacks at all by reaching under. - I would have to crawl under on my back maybe which they say not to do.
    2. I don't have the jack handle - I thought I might use something else too.

so, once the stabilizer hangs down, then I use the handle, lug wrench, screwdriver or whatever to to make it longer and have it hit the ground. then I level the whole trailer by using the towing wheel that goes up and down? thank you for the help. i really appreciate it.

12. Tracey Keller

Tracey Keller New Member

I don't know how big the holes are because I have never extended the stabilizer jacks down yet. the man I bought it from showed it to me. they are definitely original so the holes are maybe 1/2 - 3/4 inch?

13. Tracey Keller

Tracey Keller New Member

I thought maybe a flattened end would help me pop them out of their stored perch as I cannot reach them unless I crawl under which I don't want to do.

14. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Level side to side with something under the tire of one side ......Level front to back with tongue jack. Then knee down next to the camper and lower the jacks

15. Tracey Keller

Tracey Keller New Member

This is very helpful. Thank you.

16. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Also when you find a bar that works .... paint it a bright color so you will not leave it behind.

Tracey Keller likes this.
  17. Tracey Keller

Tracey Keller New Member

very helpful - thank you!

18. Tracey Keller

Tracey Keller New Member

Thank you for all the great tips. I feel a little more confident now!

In other news, I have removed all the old cushions and covers as they are stinky. I am recovering them all and adding new sleeper sofa mattresses that were recommended by someone else. They are on amazon and reasonably priced since they are full size. I have the original curtains and they washed up real nice but will probably add some new curtains to accompany those. I got a really good deal on it and look forward to fixing it up. This is a great forum! TK

19. rabird

rabird Howdy!

20. Tracey Keller

Tracey Keller New Member

ok - i think i updated my signature - thank you - very new here

rabird likes this.