Coleman Columbia stabilizer jack access

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by Tracey Keller, Jun 24, 2020.

1. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

20200604_142751.jpg i use to have your same camper and know what you are saying...what i did was go on amazon and buy 4 scissor jacks for like $80 ...i used two on the front and two for the back...the prob is you cant really mount them because the camper sits so low.
    I stored mine in a box i put on the tongue as i removed my propane tank and had no battery.
    I never cared for the stabs that require a bar and click to each setting...there is no fine tuning when using them...u are either one click to hi or one click to low.
    And running back to the front to adjust.
    Really u only need 2 which is around $40...My niece has camper now and yes they are not the easiest to reach becuse it sits low...she did put some taller tires on as well. 20200524_165304.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  2. DanLee

DanLee Member

The stabilizer jacks don't have a click setting, they are infinitely adjustable. The locking bar works by compression, not a ratchet gear. Really, the camper should be leveled with the tongue jack and the stabilizers lowered only to make firm contact with the ground, not to level the camper. They are stabilizing jacks, not leveling jacks. They keep the camper from tipping when someone is on the pulled out bed at the rear.

3. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I can only describe hat type mine had...rather they were factory or not i don't know...But i do know they clicked just like
    the old bumper jacks on grand pappys station wagon...Mine would push up the rear too far or be just above the ground and not touching.
    Which is why i went with 4 scissor jacks for more precision and stabilizing the front.

4. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

I have an '84 Columbia and the rear stabilizers can be a pain but not bad to deploy once you are used to them. As was mentioned I am able to reach mine by kneeling down, reaching under and pushing them towards the front to release them so they will drop down. Once down there is a pivoting latch that you can pull out by hand allowing the stabilizer to drop down. Once on the ground you use the rod to snug it down just until it clicks into place. A large flat blade screwdriver will work. You need the flat end to slide into the latch to release the tension on it and then just push it up into itself when putting it back into the storage position. Then swing it back under the camper and you should feel it lock into place. I'll try to get some pics of mine this weekend if I am able.