Coleman Drawings?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Shadow-D, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Shadow-D

Shadow-D New Member

Maybe a strange question, maybe not but has anyone ever come across any original "blueprint" drawings for the Coleman tent trailers? I would be looking for the 2001 Grand Tours Mesa but I'm sure any of the early 2000's GT would work. I'm planning a frame off restoration on our Mesa and I'd like to have an accurate starting point. I'm sure I could do it the hard way if I had to... lol

Thanks
    D

2. Shadow-D

Shadow-D New Member

2 year Bump

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol.

ColoradoLizzy likes this.
  4. Tarkus

Tarkus Member

Blueprints?

These matchboxes seem to be constructed by drunk sailors. In the process of repairing mine, I came to the conclusion that anything I did was 1000x better than the original design. My box is made up of a metal frame surrounded by the thinnest wood imaginable to hold up just long enough to make it out the showroom. Panels screwed into thin air, splintered wood, and impressive Styrofoam construction!

In the process of repairing mine, I added extra wood where it made sense, added critical screws, framing, studs, and reinforcing brackets to keep the box from shaking apart. Mostly stapled together construction and hot glue! The staples had backed out and the hot glue tears off.

Here's a photo before beefing up my rear section. This is with the ABS end-cap pulled off.

Rear End IMG_20210808_095827558.jpg

This may be of help, probably not. https://colemanpopupparts.com/pages/model_specs

Good luck!

Shadow-D likes this.
  5. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut Active Member

And that 'quality" construction would have driven up the build cost, thus pricing that higher than the competition's, would have increased the weight, so there's less capacity for YOUR stuff, would have increased the tow vehicle fuel consumption, accelerated tire and brake wear rates, every time the unit is moved. The build method that was used appears to have not been an issue for 23 years.

Shadow-D likes this.
  6. Tarkus

Tarkus Member

LOL! ...and here we are trying to fix the issues.

I wonder what the life span of these rigs was estimated to be 23 years ago?

Shadow-D likes this.
  7. ChiefHart

ChiefHart Member

My 1993 Coleman Chesapeake, is in better condition now (2021) than just after I bought it. Rebuilt roof ends, new gaskets and bed gaskets, new better converter and breakers, new tires and wheels, electric brakes added, new mattress, roof painted, new AC/Heat Pump. In any case my popup is closing in on 30 years old and it is in great shape. So with proper maintenance they could last a half of century.

Shadow-D likes this.
  8. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside...

There are wiring diagrams and repair books at colemanpopupprts.com that you can download. They are free.

That’s as close as you will find for blueprints.

Shadow-D likes this.